Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #10570
View in linear mode

Subject: "Speedlight manual confusion" Previous topic | Next topic
Youngun Registered since 05th Sep 2004Tue 28-Dec-04 06:45 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Speedlight manual confusion"

Greenville, US

Sorry this may be a rather elementary question, but my understanding of flash is rather elementary also. The last line of a paragraph in my SB-28 manual reads " This system does not directly link the camera's light meter and the SB-28's TTL sensor." What exaclty does this mean?

"It's like you can see s***, but you have no idea what it looks like." -Mark

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Speedlight manual confusion
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
28th Dec 2004
Youngun
28th Dec 2004
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
28th Dec 2004
Youngun
28th Dec 2004
bgelfand
28th Dec 2004
Youngun
29th Dec 2004

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberTue 28-Dec-04 06:59 AM
18625 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Speedlight manual confusion"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

What page?

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard."

Anthony

The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Youngun Registered since 05th Sep 2004Tue 28-Dec-04 07:08 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Speedlight manual confusion"
In response to Reply # 0

Greenville, US

P25: On p24 and p25 it lists the terms for the various flash modes, and im trying to make sense of them.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberTue 28-Dec-04 07:10 AM
18625 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Speedlight manual confusion"
In response to Reply # 2

Rancho Cordova, US

I don't have my manual with me, I'll be back home from holiday on Thursday and will check on it when I can. In the mean time perhaps someone with a manual handy can check on it???

Anthony

"The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard."

Anthony

The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Youngun Registered since 05th Sep 2004Tue 28-Dec-04 07:14 AM
#4. "RE: Speedlight manual confusion"
In response to Reply # 0

Greenville, US

Thanks! There's no rush.

bgelfand Registered since 09th Feb 2002Tue 28-Dec-04 07:04 PM
1726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Speedlight manual confusion"
In response to Reply # 0

Sacramento Area, US

Hi Hunter,

If I may interject.

I think what the manual is trying to say is than in TTL mode, the SB-28/camera combination does not take the ambient light into consideration. The TTL sensors, which are in the camera and not on the SB-28 itself, control the flash duration. This results in the main subject being properly exposed while the background may be (and usually is) underexposed.

This is in contrast to Matrix or Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill Flash, where the camera takes the ambient light into consideration and tries to have proper exposure for both the main subject and the background.

The confusion arises when the manual refers to the "SB-28 TTL sensor". That sensor does not exist. This is probably a translation error from the Japanese.

Youngun Registered since 05th Sep 2004Wed 29-Dec-04 04:23 PM
#6. "RE: Speedlight manual confusion"
In response to Reply # 0

Greenville, US

Thanks for clearing that up!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #10570 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.