Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #10519
View in linear mode

Subject: "some introductory flash questions" Previous topic | Next topic
Youngun Registered since 05th Sep 2004Sat 25-Dec-04 02:14 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"some introductory flash questions"

Greenville, US

I'm just beginning to learn about flash photography and it seems the possibilities are endless. I'm working with a F100 and SB28. Just a few questions:
-How you compensate for bounce flash? TTL or manually compensate?

-If I purchased another SB28 and SU4, when taking pictures wouldn't the second flash cause the picture to be overexposed?

-What's the best way to meter 'filtered' flash (ex: shoot through a diffuser, or off reflector?

Thanks for any answers or general info on flashes!

"It's like you can see s***, but you have no idea what it looks like." -Mark

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bgelfand Registered since 09th Feb 2002Sat 25-Dec-04 04:03 AM
1726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: some introductory flash questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Sacramento Area, US

>I'm just beginning to learn about flash photography and it
>seems the possibilities are endless. I'm working with a F100
>and SB28. Just a few questions:
>-How you compensate for bounce flash? TTL or manually
>compensate?

Using a Speedlight in TTL mode or Auto (A) mode you do not need to compensate.

In TTL mode the camera reads the light of the flash reflected off the film, and when enough light has reached the film, it singals the flash to turn off, or as it is called, "quench".

With a Speedlight set in Auto (A) mode (not to be confused with aperture priority mode on the camera itself), a photo cell sensor reads the light reaching the flash and the speedlight quenches itself when it senses that sufficient light has reached the sensor.
>
>-If I purchased another SB28 and SU4, when taking pictures
>wouldn't the second flash cause the picture to be
>overexposed?

With the SB-28 and SU-4 there is no problem. The SU-4 senses when the main SB-28 on the camera turns off and signals the slave SB-28 to quench. The master SB-28 is quenched by the camera in TTL mode when the camera senses enough light has reached the film.

Just be sure to set the flash in TTL (just the TTL shows on the flash's LCD) to cancel the pre-flashes.

N.B. an SB-26 operating in remote does NOT have a quench function and over exposure is possible. The SB-80DX in remote does have the quench function and will operate much like the SB-28/SU-4 combination.
>
>-What's the best way to meter 'filtered' flash (ex: shoot
>through a diffuser, or off reflector?

Shoot in TTL mode and let the camera sense when enough light has reached the film.

There is a reason people say a TTL capable Nikon body and Nikon Speedlight are "magic". They are (compared to the old manual way of shooting flash).
>
>Thanks for any answers or general info on flashes!

You Are welcome.

Happy Holidays.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 25-Dec-04 11:32 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: some introductory flash questions"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Nikon has a great video on flash and also one on the F100.

It really explains how this complex system works.

ledmun

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Wed 29-Dec-04 06:14 PM
2205 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: some introductory flash questions"
In response to Reply # 2

Metro Atlanta, US

"Nikon has a great video on flash" I could not find it on the NikonUSA web site. Do you know the URL where this video can be found?

http://www.BigDigital.us

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 29-Dec-04 11:08 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: some introductory flash questions"
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

You have to call them.

ledmun

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #10519 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.