Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #967
View in linear mode

Subject: "Battery or Charger ??" Previous topic | Next topic
manishkmr Registered since 30th Oct 2002Wed 30-Oct-02 11:12 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Battery or Charger ??"

Hello,

I bought 995 y'day and having trouble with charging the battery. Here is the problem:

When I put battery in my camera nothing happened - not power at all. So, I tried to charge the battery in the charger and the light flashed red twice before going steady red. As per manual, it should start flashing orange when battery is inserted.

The light on my charger remained steady red even after 6-7 hours. I am not sure whether battery or charger or both are faulty.

If anyone knows the solution, please help me in getting about it. I was too excited after looking at the items in the box. But, now I feel so sorry. Am I missing something?

Any pointer shall be highly appreciated.

Manish.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Nikonnut Registered since 03rd Mar 2002Sun 03-Nov-02 01:42 AM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Battery or Charger ??"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmingville, US

Your charger is bad. Usually the transformer end that plugs into the wall is the culprit. This is an on going problem with the MH-51 charger that is supplied with the Coolpix 775, 885, 995, and Coolpix 5000's, that Nikon will not admit to. Many customers have had their chargers either repaired or replaced by Nikon more than once. The new charger that is currently supplied with Coolpix cameras that use the EN-EL1 Lithium Ion battery is the MH-53. It is a small charger base with the outlet prongs built-in to it, no more two piece set-up consisting of the charger base and the transformer. So if Nikon doesn't recognize a problem with the MH-51, then why did they replace it the MH-53? By the way all newly shipped Coolpix 5000's now have the new firmware upgrade version 1.7 and the new MH-53 charger as well as opposed to the MH-51 that came with the earlier versions and can be recognized by a blue dot and green dot on the box by the UPC code/serial number sticker.

Larry C.
The Long Island Nikonian

DaveWooster Registered since 10th Nov 2012Sat 23-Feb-13 06:54 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: the MH-53 Charger for Earlier Coolpix"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 23-Feb-13 07:39 PM by DaveWooster

Topeka, US

Looking at other threads on this site, the MH-53, mentioned by Larry on Long Island, will charge not only a Nikon EN-El1 but also aftermarket replacements by Sterling TEK, Lenmar, etc. It will do so not only in the USA but in other countries including ones in Europe. It will even detect/signal a fault if and when ones battery goes sour. (Yet it does not seem to be available from Nikon.)

I therefore keep on hand several spare, tested MH-53 chargers for members of this site. You are welcome to contact me about getting one sent to you: DaveWooster at hot mail dot com . (And ask me about another way that members like Manish can use to detect a battery fault using a standard, electrical meter if they have access to one.)

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Sun 24-Feb-13 03:03 PM
1000 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: the MH-53 Charger for Earlier Coolpix"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 24-Feb-13 03:04 PM by cliddell

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Dave,

Just a note: I have an MH-52 charger which was supplied for my E775 with Nikon EN-EL1 battery. It has worked perfectly for the last 12 years...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #967 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.