Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #94
View in linear mode

Subject: "CP5000 - first pics" Previous topic | Next topic
Vic Basic MemberTue 06-Nov-01 10:03 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CP5000 - first pics"

Take a look

http://www.dcview.com.tw/sample/nikon/e5000_1/index.htm

Regards,
Vic

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CP5000 - first pics
BJNicholls Gold Member
07th Nov 2001
michael1597
08th Nov 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
09th Nov 2001
michael1597
09th Nov 2001
jnscbl
09th Nov 2001
herbet
09th Nov 2001

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 07-Nov-01 02:54 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CP5000 - first pics"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Wow, that's one slow server...

I'm not sure what to make of the photos. They look good enough, but most of the images are only 1024x768. The magenta flower shot is way oversaturated to the point where the colors are blown out. I assume this could be adjusted in the camera set up. Otherwise the shots have good quality for random snapshots. There isn't a sky shot that would show if chromatic aberration is present. A high ISO night shot would show how well noise is controlled. I'm sure there will be more sample images that challenge the camera soon.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

michael1597 Thu 08-Nov-01 08:18 PM

#2. "RE: CP5000 - first pics"
In response to Reply # 1

I have to agree that it's not easy to say what sort of quality
the CP5000 has got from these shots. However the extra resolution is telling, there is superb detail throughout. Right now I am caught between the Panasonic Lumix and this cam. The Lumix LC5 takes extraordinary pics with no CA or moderate distortion. These two cams leave the competition behind, though the Lumix is quite a cheaper than CP5000 but less versatile.

Michael

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 09-Nov-01 03:38 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CP5000 - first pics"
In response to Reply # 2

Salt Lake City, US

These Lumix shots were made by a little more competent photographer:

http://www.panasonic.co.jp/products/dc/sample/index.html

The sky in the ferris wheel shot is very clumpy. I hope this is just too much jpeg compression. Chromatic distortion isn't apparent in this shot - unusual for a camera of this kind. The shot with the schoolgirls and flowers is quite oversaturated, but I assume that this could be adjusted in the camera.

I'm a bit more conservative. I think a camera needs to actually be on the market before it can leave the competition behind. I'm happy to let more adventurous folks sign up for waiting lists

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

michael1597 Fri 09-Nov-01 09:53 AM

#4. "RE: CP5000 - first pics"
In response to Reply # 3

Note that the Lumix pictures are from Panasonic whereas the CP5000 pics are from an independant source.

I think I am fairly conservative, I still use an CP950. The problem for me is that I looking for a jump in quality for my next compact DC purchase and currently the field is OK but no more than that, so I am happy to say that these two cams leave the competition behind. I like to think I can spot potential early on and the Lumix looks promising and it's got the form,
if not the features, of a pro's backup. There is also the work
done by Panasonic on CCDs and the Leica DC lens.

You mention the sky and the oversaturation but here are so many small problems with digital output that some clumpiness does not really bother me, especially if it is not constant, however, those greens need to be looked at. Still these are early days and things can only get better unless there are some major problems being hidden. Other things for me to consider are SD cards and lack of a TTL finder.

Michael

jnscbl Basic MemberFri 09-Nov-01 01:14 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: CP5000 - first pics"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Manufacturers don't design products for people who don't buy them.
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

herbet Basic MemberFri 09-Nov-01 02:47 PM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: CP5000 - first pics"
In response to Reply # 3

My CP950 can do better than that. Look at the girls picture, nobody can be that smooth.
Herbet

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #94 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.