Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #8641
View in linear mode

Subject: "P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Fri 15-Oct-10 01:47 AM
1309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"

Phoenix, US

I read elswhere where a couple of P7000 users have noticed that Capture NX2 v 2.2.5 is unable to open any P7000 NRW file taken while using any Nikon external speedlight. No problem using the internal flash, but the program chokes every time when you try to open any NRW file taken with an external flash. I have verified this problem using an SB-400. Others have had the problem using an SB-800.

View NX2 v 2.0.1 has no problem opening the same file, will open the file in full screen view, and will even display the raw data by clicking the RAW button. Even more strange is that Capture NX2 will display a thumbnail of the file in its own browser, but will refuse to open it in the editor.

The user on the other forum opened an incident with the speedlight area of Nikon support. It seems pretty clear to me that the issue is with Capture NX2, so I opened an incident with Nikon software support. Looks like we'll have to wait for either an update to the P7000 firmware or an update to Capture NX2 to be able to edit NRW files taken with an external speedlight.

Russ

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem
Covey22 Moderator
15th Oct 2010
russg Silver Member
15th Oct 2010
James23p Moderator
15th Oct 2010
russg Silver Member
15th Oct 2010
James23p Moderator
15th Oct 2010
russg Silver Member
15th Oct 2010
ricdiggle Silver Member
15th Oct 2010
russg Silver Member
15th Oct 2010
lbo Silver Member
16th Oct 2010
walkerr Administrator
16th Oct 2010
ricdiggle Silver Member
16th Oct 2010
russg Silver Member
16th Oct 2010
walkerr Administrator
16th Oct 2010
russg Silver Member
16th Oct 2010
James23p Moderator
16th Oct 2010
russg Silver Member
16th Oct 2010
James23p Moderator
17th Oct 2010
James23p Moderator
18th Oct 2010
lbo Silver Member
18th Oct 2010
russg Silver Member
19th Oct 2010
James23p Moderator
19th Oct 2010
russg Silver Member
19th Oct 2010
lbo Silver Member
19th Oct 2010
DrJay32 Gold Member
21st Oct 2010
James23p Moderator
22nd Oct 2010
russg Silver Member
27th Oct 2010
James23p Moderator
27th Oct 2010
russg Silver Member
27th Oct 2010
James23p Moderator
28th Oct 2010
Fishboss Silver Member
05th Nov 2010
russg Silver Member
05th Nov 2010

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 15-Oct-10 02:24 AM
10787 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Usually an update accompanies the release of a new camera that is RAW capable, so it may be that the software side is running behind on timing.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Fri 15-Oct-10 02:39 AM
1309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

The update to edit P7000 raw files was included in the most recent updates to both View NX2 and Capture NX2. Nikon actually got the updated software out well before the camera was officially released, unlike with the P6000. There is no problem opening and editing P7000 raw files in the most recent versions of either View or Capture, if no external speedlight is used. This is a bug either in the way Capture NX2 v 2.2.5 reads and handles the NRW file (most likely) or a bug in the way the P7000 writes the NRW file. The defect is limited to the very specific combination of P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/external speedlight. It is repeatable with 100% reliability.

Russ

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Fri 15-Oct-10 06:02 AM
9752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 2

Memphis, US

This caught my attention so I slapped on my SB-600 and fired off a few shots. Then I used ViewNX2 and NX2 to PP and both opened the NRW file and both programs functioned properly.

When I get home I will post the EXIF data and post it to see if there is something different from what you are getting.

Jim

PS Both ViewNX2 and NX2 are the most up to date versions.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Fri 15-Oct-10 09:58 AM
#4. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

Well, that is most interesting. Your post caused me to revisit the situation, and here's what I found. First, View NX2 has no problems, so we can remove it from the discussion. I tried opening the NRW files shot with the SB-400 in Capture NX2 on my laptop, and I got the same behavior as I had previously got from the installation on my desktop. Both computers are running Windows XP Pro, and both have CNX2 version 2.2.5. Next, I shot a couple of NRW files with my SB-800 attached to the P7000. Again, both computers failed to open the files shot with the SB-800. Both computers have no problem opening P7000 NRW files shot with either no flash or built-in flash. I'm at a loss to explain your 100% success rate with NRW files shot with an external speedlight, and my 100% failure (along with the users over at dpreview).

My first question: Are you by chance running CNX2 on a Mac? That would be the most likely explanation for the differences in our experience. If not, a different vesion of Windows?

Beyond that, the only other difference I could think of would be difference in camara settings or CNX2 default settings. Hard to imagine that would be an issue. I'm using "Auto" as the flash mode in the P7000. I've had the Flash Control settng in the shooting menu set to both "Auto" and "Built-in Off", and it made no difference in the outcome. Aperture priority, ISO set to "Auto".

I'd be interested in hearing about which OS you're using, Jim, along with any other data you might feel pertinent. Also, I can make my NRW files available for download on the YouSendIt file sharing service, if necessary. I uploaded a sample NRW file shot with the SB-400 to Nikon support via my account on the Nikon support web site. I'll report back when I hear anything from Nikon support.

Russ

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Fri 15-Oct-10 12:19 PM
9752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 15-Oct-10 12:22 PM by James23p

Memphis, US

Hmm as they say. I am running Vista SP2 on a Toshiba laptop. I will look at the settings when I get off work today and list all the data. Plus when I get home I will PM you and you can send me a NRW file with the SB-400 and I can send you one with the SB-600.

As far as my memory goes I think I to was using "Auto". Maybe we can gather data and send to Nikon if needed. Plus I only shot 3 shots. We might have to set our P7K up the same way and NX2 the same way and try to get a control. I have a friend who will let me use his SB-400 so we are using the same speedlight.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Fri 15-Oct-10 01:34 PM
#6. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 5

Phoenix, US

I'm up for all of that to see if we can nail down why this situation works for you and not for me. Exchanging NRW files would be a good start.

1. If you can't open my file, and I can open yours, then that would point to differences in either the cameras and their settings or the SB-400/800 versus the SB-600.

2. If I can't open your file and you can open mine, then that would point to differences in CNX2 settings or OS/computer hardware issues.

Does the Nikonians PM service allow for large (15mb) file attachments? I've never tried.

RG

ricdiggle Silver Member Charter MemberFri 15-Oct-10 07:33 PM
862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 6

Huddersfield, GB

Just took more products shots using the P7000, SU800 and a couple of SB-900s and an SB-800.

The same SD card from the camera has files taken in daylight and with the onboard flash.

Capture NX2 on my Macbook Pro shuts itself down when I try to open the external flash shots. Works fine with the others though.

Also of note, is that the P7000 reported I had incorrectly setup my speedlights when I tried to use group A and B lights. As soon as I turned off group B on the SU-800 all my flashes fired and the P7000 was happy. Oddly, one of the SB-900s set to group B still fired just fine. It maybe in the manual that it can only control one group but I still haven't read it yet.

Hope they get this sorted soon as it's a big problem for me.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Fri 15-Oct-10 08:16 PM
#8. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 7

Phoenix, US

The manual does state that only Group A can be used for wireless flash (p. 202).

So you and I (and others) can't open a raw file in CNX2 taken with an external flash, and Jim has no such problem. That's pretty strange.

It is a big problem. I mean the whole reason to own this camera over another in its class (at least for me) is its ability to shoot raw files that conform to my existing CNX2 workflow and is also compatible with my Nikon speedlights.

BTW, I just shot an NRW file with my P6000 with the SB-400 attached. CNX2 had no trouble opening the file. So the problem doesn't appear to apply to all NRW files taken with an external flash, but rather to NRW files specific to the P7000. No word yet from Nikon. I've uploaded to them P7000 NRW files taken with the SB-400 and SB-800. I was kind of hoping that the Mac version of CNX2 would be free of the problem, which would hang it on the Windows version, but you've demonstrated that isn't the case. Odd that VNX2 has no problems with these files. I haven't tried, but I assume that there's no such problem with P7000 jpegs shot with external speedlights, just the NRW files. Can you confirm this?

Russ

RG

lbo Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Apr 2009Sat 16-Oct-10 11:36 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 16-Oct-10 11:36 AM by lbo

Veddige, SE

I can only confirm that I see exactly the same problem on my W7 computer: P7K NRW with SB-600 or SB-800 does not open in CNX2, jpeg or built in flash is OK... CNX2 does not close, it only tries to open the file for ever!
//Lasse

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 16-Oct-10 01:15 PM
14702 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 9

Colorado Springs, US

I see the same error with external flashes with NX2 running on a Mac, so it's not isolated to the Windows version of the program.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

ricdiggle Silver Member Charter MemberSat 16-Oct-10 02:20 PM
862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 10

Huddersfield, GB

I've tried it on a Macbook pro, a Macbook, a windows XP machine and a windows server! Same problem on all of them.

My Gallery

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sat 16-Oct-10 02:33 PM
#12. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 11

Phoenix, US

I appreciate the others posting their confirmation of the problem. Hopefully, this will mean that Nikon will have little trouble duplicating the problem in-house, and will quickly get to work on a solution, presumably a CNX2 update. I still haven't heard back from them.

To me, this is more evidence that the P7k project was a bit of a rush job, and not quite ready for prime time. I guess we can consider ourselves beta testers at this point. You can always tell which are the pioneers, they're the ones with the arrows in their backs.

Russ

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 16-Oct-10 02:43 PM
14702 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 12

Colorado Springs, US

I've sent a note to the development team.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sat 16-Oct-10 03:30 PM
#14. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 13

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Rick. That ought to help move things along. Please report back with what you hear from the develpment team.

Russ

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sat 16-Oct-10 05:33 PM
#15. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

Well time to eat crow, went back and shot several more with my SB-600 and nada, NX2 just kept trying to open the file. So I went back to the ones that worked and some how these were shot as JPEGs. I guess with all the playing around and as usual rushing around I had not noticed this, sorry all. So this is A NX2 problem after all.

Again sorry all I need to slow down.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sat 16-Oct-10 06:17 PM
#16. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 15

Phoenix, US

No sweat, Jim. Welcome to the club. Since the problem appears to be universal, I would think it shouldn't be too hard for Nikon/Nik to nail this one down.

I've had a number of strange freezes and malfuntions lately with the camera itself. I've had the camera completely lock up on occasion, remedied only by pulling the battery. Yesterday, the auto-bracketing function started acting up, and continues to do so. Try this, if you've got a spare minute or so. With quality set to NRW, go into the auto-bracketing screen via the quick menu. Turn auto-bracketing on in TV mode. Set number of shots to 3 or 5, makes no difference. Then try and set the increment to 1-stop. 0.3, 0.7 and 1 stop all appear on the screen, but when I try and highlight the 1-stop setting the camera immediately moves the selection to either 0.3 or 0.7. The only way to select 1-stop is to press the trash button to reset the auto-bracket function. I swear it didn't do this when I first got the camera, and it doesn't do this when quality is set to one of the jpeg settings. Do you show this behavior on yours?

Russ

Russ

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sun 17-Oct-10 03:05 PM
#17. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 16
Sun 17-Oct-10 04:00 PM by James23p

Memphis, US

I get the same exact thing Russ, so this is another bug that will need a firmware update.

Plus I found another possible bug,in the Auto brkt menu with OFF, Tv, Sv(whats with canon nomenclature)WB the WB settings is not selectable or is it even supposed to be selectable.

Plus I had one complete lock up tow that required to remove the battery. It seemed to happen when I was trying to figure out how to set something and I may have pressed a few wrong buttons thus locking it up. But this has not happened since.

I have to agree with most now, even thought I do not have the same AF issues and slow menu I am having many of the same bugs. Nikon has a wonderful camera here all they need to do is work out the bugs in one complete firmware update. They did rush the camera and yes we are now officially the beta testers. But if they fix it I will be very happy. Thay said I still love this camera!

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Mon 18-Oct-10 05:16 AM
#18. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 17

Memphis, US

Just want to add I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Nikon on the Flash/NRW/CNX2 problem they took the time to try their gear and software and from what I can tell they had the same problem. Plus the Coolpix Tech Rep was very very helpful and he was very interested in getting to the bottom of this.

In the end I will have to wait for a call back or email as they could not resolve it but atleast I know they are working on it from multiple ends.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

lbo Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Apr 2009Mon 18-Oct-10 06:43 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 18

Veddige, SE

I just got a reply from Nikon in Sweden: They re-created exactly the same problem and also contacted the development team for a solution.
//Lasse

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Tue 19-Oct-10 03:32 AM
#20. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 17

Phoenix, US

>Plus I found another possible bug,in the Auto brkt menu with
>OFF, Tv, Sv(whats with canon nomenclature)WB the WB settings
>is not selectable or is it even supposed to be selectable.

WB bracketing is not available when quality is set to NRW, per page 109 of the manual (part of the four pages that explain various permutations of chewing gum and walking that can't be performed at the same time).

Here's another bug I read about elsewhere and have verified on my camera. Put the camera in manual exposure mode. Set the shutter speed to 1/15 second or slower. Take the shot. Press playback to review the shot. Return to shooting mode by pressing the shutter button half way or pressing playback again. Watch in disbelief as the shutter speed is now set to 1/2000 second. Happens every time.

Another annoyance that I can't call a bug for sure, but I'm at a loss to explain why it does this. If Active D Lighting is set to anything but off, the preview screen will typically wash out with a strong yellow color cast when the shutter button is pressed half way. I seem to notice this more outside in daylight. It's so distracting that I'm forced to leave Active D Lighting turned off. On my D300, I typically leave it turned on, because you can always turn it off retroactively in post using CNX2. Conversely, if you leave it off in camera, there is no opportunity to retroactively turn in on in CNX2.

Russ

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Tue 19-Oct-10 03:44 AM
#21. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 20

Memphis, US

Yup I read that not to long after I posted, I have now read over the what works with what. This is definatly a camera you need to read and reread the manual as there is so many small little things that make an impact on how one function works or does not work.

I really love the form and IQ of this camera so I hope Nikon really knocks the firmware update out of the park. It seems to me that most of this is a firmware fix. It might take a few firmware updates to get it right but I hope they do I truly love the camera and I am willing to work thru the various fixes Nikon hopefully makes. But with several major Nikon technical support/service centers around the world looking into these I suspect they will fix it sooner vs later.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Tue 19-Oct-10 05:23 AM
#22. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 21

Phoenix, US

I agree that the P7000 requires a certain level of commitment to study its nuances if you want to be able to get the camera to perform to its potential. On the other hand, this is my sixth Nikon digital camera (3 DSLRs, 3 P&S), and none of the others have been anywhere near this buggy out of the box. It's going to take a fairly robust firmware update and likely more than one to sort all this out.

I do find shooting with the P7000 to be much more difficult than with any of my DSLRs. But that's not really a knock on the P7000, I felt the same way about the P5000 & P6000. It's not really fair to expect any compact to handle with the respinsivenes as a DSLR. But there are certainly times where the DSLR isn't appropriate for the situation and a compact is what's really needed. And since this is the only current model compact camera on the market that will allow me to process its raw files in CNX2, I'm committed to ride this out and allow Nikon to finish the development of the firmware going forward.

Unfortunately, I've spent more time learning the camera than I have shooting with it, but here's a few that I've shot during the learning process.

8mm (macro mode)
f5
1/681.1 (aperture priority)
ISO 100 (auto)

8.8mm (macro mode)
f4.5
1/581.3 (aperture priority)
ISO 100 (auto)

13mm
f5.6
1/76.4 (aperture priority)
ISO 118 (auto)

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

lbo Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Apr 2009Tue 19-Oct-10 06:39 AM
#23. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 22
Tue 19-Oct-10 08:20 PM by lbo

Veddige, SE

Russ,
Great pictures! You prove that it is not all about the camera - it's the person behind the camera that makes the difference!
Let's hope for a gooood firmware update soon
//Lasse

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Thu 21-Oct-10 05:28 PM
3327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Capture NX 2.2.6 will fix this issue. Hang tight.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide series of eBooks
Capture NX, Nik Silver Efex Pro, Digital Landscapes

www.luminescentphoto.com

Read my blog

Listen to The Image Doctors

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Fri 22-Oct-10 03:36 AM
#25. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 24

Memphis, US

Very cool, Thanks.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Wed 27-Oct-10 04:39 PM
#26. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

CNX2 version 2.2.6 was released today, and it has effectively resolved the external speedlight issue with the P7000, just as Jason reported it would. I updated both VNX2 and CNX2 this morning without a hitch.

Russ

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 27-Oct-10 06:12 PM
#27. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 26

Memphis, US

Yup all is well. One step at a time I have a good feeling that more updates for the P7000 itself are on the way.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Wed 27-Oct-10 06:26 PM
#28. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 27

Phoenix, US

I ran into another unfortunate issue over the weekend, and this time I think that a fix for it will not be forthcoming. When Nikon released View NX2, they stripped out the very handy email functionality of View NX. I suppose this was simply to force users to get in the habit of using Nikon's My Picture Town for sharing photos. It's a real shame, because the resizing and emailing function of View NX could not have been more simple, fast and effective. It is a real joy to use, and personally, I have zero interest in using Nikon's web-based site for photo sharing. I prefer reduced-size jpeg attachments using my default email client, which View NX supported so well. So, I left View NX installed along side of View NX2, just to have access to the email functionality.

Anyway, the problem I discovered is with View NX. If you point the browser to any folder that has a P7000 NRW file in it, View NX will instantly crash. Unfortunately, I suspect that Nikon has no interest in fixing View NX to resolve this now that it has been replaced by View NX2. I really wish they'd bring the email functionality back into View NX2, but I suspect that is equally as unlikely.

Russ

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Thu 28-Oct-10 01:23 AM
#29. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 28

Memphis, US

Hmm since I never used the email function I do not miss it. I deleted ViewNX as soon as I downloaded ViewNX2 since I love it and ViewNX was OK. I would say you are correct Nikon will most likely not update ViewNX since it is at the end of its cycle. A shame since I am sure there are many more who are like you and miss the function.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Fishboss Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Dec 2008Fri 05-Nov-10 12:41 AM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 28

Newport, US

I have recently installed NX2 and have not realized until this post that the email function has been removed. To me, that is a big downgrade in the functionality of this program. I have used the email feature a lot as a quick and convenient way to share one or two photos with friends. I still have NX installed, so I guess I will stick with it. Too bad.

Regards,
Preston
Coastal NC

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Fri 05-Nov-10 01:30 AM
#31. "RE: P7000/NRW/Capture NX2/External Speedlight Problem"
In response to Reply # 30

Phoenix, US

Fortunately, View NX and View NX2 can peacefully coexist on your hard drive, which will allow you to use the newer features of NX2 and use the old version for its email function. It was truly a stupid decision by Nikon to remove the excellent email function of NX from NX2. Especially since the only logical reason to do so would be to force more traffic to the My Picture Town website.

Russ

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #8641 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.