nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #80
View in linear mode

Subject: "CP5000 - first pics." Previous topic | Next topic
Vic Basic MemberThu 06-Dec-01 09:48 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CP5000 - first pics."

Here is first published pics from production unit.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C5000/C5THMBS.HTM

What is your impression?

Vic

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CP5000 - first pics.
AlanC
07th Dec 2001
michael1597
08th Dec 2001
kula
24th Feb 2002
lstavast Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
24th Feb 2002
Newsphotog
16th Jan 2008

AlanC Basic MemberFri 07-Dec-01 12:34 PM
2700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CP5000 - first pics."
In response to Reply # 0

UK

OK, I'll stick my neck out...

I've been looking at the outdoor portraits and comparing them with the results from the Sony F707, Olympus E-20 (pre-production) and the D1x.

Immediate first reactions to the CP5000: the blues look too dark and it's perhaps a little too contrasty but the general look of the picture is good.

Compared with the other cameras it seems perhaps a little on the soft side. The F707, in comparison, seems over-sharpened and very "digital".

I can't see much in the way of noise in the shadows, in contrast to the E-20 which shows visible noise where the others are perfectly smooth.

Of the four, the D1x is obviously going to be the winner (particularly from the point of view of colour), but my eyes would put the CP5000 in second place.

Alan.

michael1597 Sat 08-Dec-01 07:43 PM

#2. "RE: CP5000 - first pics."
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-01 AT 09:00 PM (GMT)

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-01 AT 08:56 PM (GMT)

Well Vic, The pictures don't do anything for me whereas the preproduction samples showed wonderful promise. If the CP5000 shows the very same promise of the earlier pictures then I do not expect other DCs to compare well. I cannot make any real judgement on these samples, the general look is too hard and there's too much blooming in the wide angle shots, colours look very good. It's a good thing the reviews were held back though, so as to give serious users every chance to find what the real quality is like from this dcam.

Michael

kula Basic MemberSun 24-Feb-02 05:53 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CP5000 - first pics."
In response to Reply # 2

Sydney, AU

here are my first shots with it.

http://www.markpakula.com/nikon/

I'm very happy with it.

here in aus, a Sony F707 (which i did consider) is at least A$500 more. And i already had some compactflash cards, and an SB22s which works perfectly with it.

.m.

lstavast Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Registered since 01st Jan 2003Sun 24-Feb-02 01:00 PM
1071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: CP5000 - first pics."
In response to Reply # 3

Allen, US

Nice crisp shots ! I really like the parasail (wing parachute) guy getting ready to take off the cliff.

I haven't got a digital camera yet, and my life has been with heavy build equipment, so I have a conditioned expecation of equipment feeling a certain way... do you get used to the almost wallet-sized weight of the equipment ? I tried a 707 in a local store yesterday and was really struck by the feel - I guess subconsciously it feels chinzty to me.

help me along with my problem if you will...

Best wishes - Lyle Stavast

Lyle

Newsphotog Basic MemberWed 16-Jan-08 02:17 PM
2562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: CP5000 - first pics."
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

Lyle,

I have to agree with you about the feel of these smaller digital cameras. I come from using an F100 and F90X both with grips and the big lenses on them. Quite substantial in your hand.
When I started showing up at news events with my F100 over one shoulder and holding up my new 5000, I looked (and felt like) a tourist that wandered into the wrong area. But once you add an SB flash to it, any of the adapter lenses and the battery grip, it'll start to feel more like what you're used to. Not the same however, but it starts to look and feel more like a 35mm camera. And the best part, when you only want it to be a P&S when you go for a hike or a family get together, that's exactly what you'll have. Best of both worlds.

This pic is from my first daytime outing with my CP5K. I've since photographed a motor vehicle accident for the news that will make it it the paper this week. Quite a versatile little camera.
CP5K - 19MM wide angle adapter attached. ISO 100/Quality Mode: FINE
Speed :1/2000 Focal Length : 9.7mm Aperture 2.9 Exp. Comp -.03

John
Toronto, Canada

John
Toronto, Canada

www.sportsshooter.com/johnriddell
www.torontofirephotos.ca

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #80 Previous topic | Next topic