Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #7350
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon coolpix P6000" Previous topic | Next topic
bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources Charter MemberFri 08-Aug-08 08:54 AM
5429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon coolpix P6000"

Bratislava, SK

The Nikon Coolpix P6000 is out. Obviously we have some different takes on this camera here at Nikonians.

What is your take on it, will you buy one? If so, why? If not, why?

Visit us at Photokina, Cologne Germany, September 23rd-28th 2008
We're in Hall 2.1, Booth E014

See the latest, hottest posts
Bo Stahlbrandt. Founder and Administrator located in Bratislava/Slovakia and in the Black Forest/Germany.
Find out more about The Nikonians Team

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon coolpix P6000
sorin
08th Aug 2008
natper
08th Aug 2008
Reply message re Nikon's new P6000
Nikonitis
11th Aug 2008
Efem
08th Aug 2008
sorin
08th Aug 2008
Efem
08th Aug 2008
sorin
08th Aug 2008
Noel Holland Platinum Member
08th Aug 2008
hrbaan
08th Aug 2008
RDW
08th Aug 2008
fabric Silver Member
09th Aug 2008
jeremyrh
09th Aug 2008
martano
10th Aug 2008
Crabby Guy Silver Member
10th Aug 2008
hand
20th Sep 2008
Crabby Guy Silver Member
20th Sep 2008
rbeal
23rd Sep 2008
DrJay32 Gold Member
11th Aug 2008
mroki
11th Aug 2008
georgesass Silver Member
11th Aug 2008
BJNicholls Gold Member
12th Aug 2008
hand
13th Aug 2008
jeremyrh
14th Aug 2008
rbeal
25th Aug 2008
ptomsu
11th Aug 2008
IgorV
11th Aug 2008
kbird
11th Aug 2008
wilbur6
11th Aug 2008
johnallen
11th Aug 2008
IgorV
26th Aug 2008
cliddell Silver Member
11th Aug 2008
lifewings Silver Member
11th Aug 2008
sduford
11th Aug 2008
gallon
25th Aug 2008
Narsuitus
23rd Aug 2008
sduford
25th Aug 2008
nikster
23rd Sep 2008
Neuritis Silver Member
24th Sep 2008
TomCurious
29th Sep 2008
wfbjr
27th Oct 2008
Crabby Guy Silver Member
28th Oct 2008
BJNicholls Gold Member
31st Oct 2008
Crabby Guy Silver Member
01st Nov 2008

sorin Registered since 06th Sep 2007Fri 08-Aug-08 10:32 AM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 08-Aug-08 11:21 AM by sorin

RO

i'm a bit interested in a new p&s. my canon S2 shows signs that it won't last long. i might like a smaller compact like w300 size, i'm not sure.

about p6000 right now we only have 3 samples posted on nikon's japan website. they look great, didn't expect such detail. this is the only real thing right now. the rest is just talk.

no matter what raw format will be available on release date and which platforms will have better integration i still have to see how it performs as a photo camera. only then i'd look what sort of raw does it do. that's why i didn't buy a G series camera, just for the raw. i saw the images, looked way to similar to my S2 at low iso so i didn't upgrade.
shortly after release date there will be enough complete reviews and samples on the web to say what i'm going to buy.

on the paper p6000 seems good too bad the details about raw are confusing. that's not good marketing. i don't even understand what the LAN connector does. they say it uploads pictures to mypicturetown but my country isn't listed. so i'll have a useless lan connector or it'll upload images to a pc too? why would they make a lan connector only for online usage not available everywhere and not a home network?. would it transfer raw files or just jpegs like the eyefi cards? how about movies?

anyway many times the specs sound good or bad but the actual quality is totally different.
the same is with panasonic or ricoh. ricoh is not even a month old and doesn't have enough reviews/samples and panasonic is about to be released. we can't talk about competition either. a new G could also be released soon.

natper Registered since 19th Apr 2007Fri 08-Aug-08 12:54 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 08-Aug-08 12:59 PM by natper

Rocky Point, US

This is the camera Nikon should have leaped ahead on the competition with. Instead- they will give canon a nice 4th quarter surprise!

I have been waiting to update my aging coolpix5000- it looks like its going to be a canon G9.

What was Nikon thinking- they have been hearing our complaints about lack of NEF on their coolpix line for several years now. A new format? No mac support?

As far as geo tagging- for myself- I have no use for that. I know where I am- I know how to add key words.

Nikon- wake up! What we want is a digital range finder - like your S series with NEF and low noise for about 500 bucks.

Nikonitis Registered since 08th Dec 2007Mon 11-Aug-08 11:18 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "re Nikon's new P6000"
In response to Reply # 2

Yup, I am with you on this. I have been a Nikon user for over 25 yrs and have owned all manner of different models. One of the great attributes of Nikon's SLR range, historically, was the way Nikon's older equipment could always be used on newer cameras ie lenses etc. You would have thought the techno people at Nikon might have followed the same philosophy in the digital age and produced cameras that used common platform software. But it seems, Mac users such as myself, either have to buy a pc laptop to work on Raw files (Even though I produce raw files from my D200s and can work on them in photoshop), or buy a different brand of compact. The G9 looks tempting as you say.
I have spoken to Nikon's customer support team and they have said there are no plans to make a 'mac-friendly' raw file format decoder.
Their UK sales blurb says: RAW file format: images can be shot and saved in high-quality RAW format that provides an uncompressed digital “negative” of the image to perfect on a computer later on. RAW format images can be opened and edited in Nikon’s View NX software (Windows version only), or in any other application that supports the WIC (Microsoft's Windows Image Component) codec. i have had the same issues with cell phone software. No-one makes Mac based software for cell phones. The reason is almost certainly economic. Only 5% of computer users are Mac based apparently

Efem Registered since 14th Sep 2004Fri 08-Aug-08 01:02 PM
2250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0

New York City, US

Bo,

I recently purchased a Canon G9 as I was tired of waiting for Nikon to offer an alternative. As it turns out, I'm glad that I did as I have no interest in the P6000. The RAW issue aside, I see nothing compelling about the P6000.

The sample image for the P6000 that I saw is excellent. However, it's taken at native ISO in a controlled studio situation. Any camera manufacturer can duplicate this performance at will.

Anyway...here's what I wrote in another post here. This was written before I saw the image sample, but I feel that it is still valid.

I'm glad that I didn't wait for this. My G9 arrived yesterday and is exactly what I expected. Great build quality, nice ergonomics and mediocre image quality above ISO 200. Fine with me, as I didn't expect it to rival a D-SLR.

Now Nikon gives us yet another small-sensored camera with still more pixels and "featuring" a gaudy top ISO of 6400. My G9 has 12mp and a useless top ISO of 3200, yet Nikon sees some need to push this hype even further?

Granted, the proof is in the image quality which I haven't seen (nor has anyone else at liberty to provide info) but I see nothing in the P6000's specs to convince me that this is any better than a G9.

Looks like the Nikon will be a bit less expensive than the Canon and the 28mm wide end of the zoom is welcome. I also have to admit that the Nikon's handgrip is nicer. The Canon has a larger LCD, seemingly better build quality and wider zoom range.

Seems as though both industry leaders are more interested in preventing the caniballization of sales from their low-end D-SLR's than in showing the guts to innovate. How very sad that neither will back off on the pixels and limit the ISO to where the image doesn't look like speckled mush......or, dare I say.....drop in a real sensor.

sorin Registered since 06th Sep 2007Fri 08-Aug-08 01:23 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 3

RO

>The sample image for the P6000 that I saw is excellent.
>However, it's taken at native ISO in a controlled studio
>situation. Any camera manufacturer can duplicate this
>performance at will.

you know that's actually a cool idea. i'll look for that or for home users trying too. i can't do it with the S2 but maybe others will try >10mp p&s cameras.

Efem Registered since 14th Sep 2004Fri 08-Aug-08 03:46 PM
2250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 4

New York City, US

Sorin,

I wish that I still had my studio equipment as I wouldn't mind comparing a "best case" image from my G9 against one from a P6000. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that there would be any major differences.

Given the limited time that I've had the G9, I haven't had a chance to give it a good workout. I have done some outdoor shooting at ISO 80 in very contrasty (noon) light which is far from ideal.

The Canon RAW files opened right up in either ACR or Bibble and the default settings took care of whatever highlights were slightly blown, without any help from me. Considering the harsh lighting involved, I found that impressive.

Even the jpegs opened up well in Photoshop as Canon's in-camera processing seems excellent. I've used a few other Canon P&S cameras and their Evaluative Metering (Matrix) seems as good as, if not better than, that in my D80.

sorin Registered since 06th Sep 2007Fri 08-Aug-08 04:24 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 08-Aug-08 04:24 PM by sorin

RO

>I've used a few other
>Canon P&S cameras and their Evaluative Metering (Matrix)
>seems as good as, if not better than, that in my D80.

good luck

Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter MemberFri 08-Aug-08 01:23 PM
2171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 08-Aug-08 01:26 PM by Noel Holland

TH

Response from Nikon on NRW concerns:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=190&topic_id=55830&mesg_id=55830&page=#55851

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 08-Aug-08 07:39 PM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 5

Kockengen, NL

Nikon's statement is not really reassuring, now is it?

As I also wrote in the English Café:
I honestly can not see what Nikon thinks they are doing with bringing out yet another RAW format. And what's worse, one based on a Windows (Microsoft) proprietary solution. Heck isn't most of the professional arena using Macs anyway? True, companies like Adobe etc. will probably work around this and create their own decoders, but still, why do this and make everyone's life more complicated???

From all the fuzz this has created on the web, no one else understands this move either.
Statements like "tripping over your own shoe laces" and "shooting yourself in the foot" come about regularly.

I have only one word for this decision: Doh! (was actually going to write a much nastier word, but this also expresses it well).

So, that's off my chest and I sure hope that Nikon reads this and improves their live (NO P6000 for me), Hayo Baan
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan

When it's time to stop living, I will certainly make Death my number one choice!
Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

RDW Registered since 20th Sep 2002Fri 08-Aug-08 09:35 PM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0

Too early to make an informed decision. We don't know how it compares as a camera against the obvious competition (canon G9 etc - wait for the reviews). We don't know enough about the raw format to tell if it will be a problem or not for non-Nikon, non-WIC, or Mac software (WIC support does not imply it can only be supported via WIC).

By the way, I have a fairly simple test for any raw format I might consider using - is it fully supported by Open Source raw converters like dcraw?:

http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw

If it isn't, then I'm not interested (even if I choose to use proprietary converters right now) - it's the only way to ensure the files can be read in a decade or two. If it is, then I'm happy (and if Nikon choose not to support it in NX2, that's their problem). Once NRW files become available in the wild, we should know within a few weeks if this format is any more difficult to support than the dozens of other raw formats that have been easily decoded by 3rd party developers (dcraw currently handles just about every known raw format with <9000 lines of code).

fabric Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2007Sat 09-Aug-08 01:37 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice, FR

I am still waiting for the real Coolpix - a compact of NIKON standards - but as I just wrote in another forum:

I admire Nikon's D300 and D200 - which I have - and the D700 - which I have ordered. But for the pocket I have had to deselect the Coolpix'es. For some time I have used the Panasonic DMC-LX2, which has all the features relevant for a (semi)pro (- except for the noise..!). And I have to admit I have almost decided to go for the upcoming LX3.

Look at that LX3: Now with a Leica Summicron lens, 24mm wide angle, max Ap. 2.0-2.8, manual settings and raw. The combination of features must be a first for compacts. No superfluous gadgets. Can't wait to see samples and reviews.

Where are you Nikon? Are you listening??

fabric

CARPE DIEM

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jeremyrh Registered since 02nd Nov 2004Sat 09-Aug-08 02:32 PM
517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 10

Copenhagen, DK

>For some time I have used the
>Panasonic DMC-LX2, which has all the features relevant for a
>(semi)pro (- except for the noise..!). And I have to admit I
>have almost decided to go for the upcoming LX3.
>
>Look at that LX3: Now with a Leica Summicron lens, 24mm wide
>angle, max Ap. 2.0-2.8, manual settings and raw. The
>combination of features must be a first for compacts. No
>superfluous gadgets.

And no viewfinder, just a lame LCD screen, which is why I won't replace my LX2 with an LX3, and why I was so hopeful that the P6000 would answer my needs.

Ho hum

jeremyrh

---------
D300; D80; Nikkor 17-55/2.8; 70-200/2.8; 18-200; 18-70; 70-300; 85/1.4; 50/1.8; Sigma 30/1.4; Tokina 12-24; SB600

< Previous|
1|2|3|4|5|Next >

martano Registered since 30th Jun 2004Sun 10-Aug-08 02:58 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0

Buenos Aires, AR

A camera with a new format file that can't support mac is a wate of money.
I will keep my G9 and even I will buy a new G10 from canon if arrive soon.
Thom Hogan in his web site wrote:

"Personally, I'm disappointed in Nikon's Coolpix efforts since the 8800, and the P6000 actually increases that disappointment. My advice is to look at the Ricoh GX-200 and the Panasonic LX-3 if you want a quality compact camera in the near term. Both have true raw support. Both are excellent, photographer-centric cameras. And with care using raw conversion, both produce fine results at low ISO values. Looks like I need a new Coolpix bumper sticker to add to my collection: Skip the P6000."

Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004Sun 10-Aug-08 06:04 PM
975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 12
Sun 10-Aug-08 08:06 PM by Covey22

Seal Beach, US

Even if Nikon has created this new RAW format in order to fulfill some sort of business agreement with Microsoft, I have to think that someone in Nikon USA has at least counted and maybe even read the number of negative responses here and (especially) on dpreview and figured out that they dropped the ball.

With a very limited knowledge of the mechanics involved, here is my suggestion for Nikon in order to save face on the P6000:

- Announce that, in a rush to get the notice out, that their statement on the new format and NX 2 was misunderstood/misstated/badly translated/a booboo. What they *really* meant is that NX version 2.1--for both PC and Mac--would have the capability of editing RAW files from this camera using the same workflow as NEF files. Also, conversion to NEF and DNG files for archival purposes will be supported until the year 20XX.

- State that they have made whatever program/codec/whatever is needed to do so freely available to any reputable company who wants it under some NDA for whatever is secret. Encourage Adobe et al. to make a statement that LR2 and Adobe Bridge will support the new format as of the end of October (or whenever).

- Reaffirm that the original plan of editing RAW files in the camera is still alive and that Nikon expects this capability to be highly valuable...

- Thank Nikon fans/owners for their loyalty and state that the P6000 is the perfect camera for a Nikon DSLR user looking for a small camera for easy carrying for those occasions when the DSLR stays home.

- Publish a few photos taken outdoors at ISO 200 that demonstrate the capability of the camera.

Adrian

Photography, though not an art form in itself, has the peculiar capacity to turn all of its subjects into works of art. Susan Sontag, On Photography, p. 149. 1977.

hand Registered since 05th Feb 2008Sat 20-Sep-08 01:03 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 12

new york, US

>A camera with a new format file that can't support mac is a
>wate of money.
>I will keep my G9 and even I will buy a new G10 from canon if
>arrive soon.
>Thom Hogan in his web site wrote:
>
>"Personally, I'm disappointed in Nikon's Coolpix efforts
>since the 8800, and the P6000 actually increases that
>disappointment. My advice is to look at the Ricoh GX-200 and
>the Panasonic LX-3 if you want a quality compact camera in the
>near term. Both have true raw support. Both are excellent,
>photographer-centric cameras. And with care using raw
>conversion, both produce fine results at low ISO values. Looks
>like I need a new Coolpix bumper sticker to add to my
>collection: Skip the P6000."
--------------------------
they do have limitations with the post processing software no?

Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004Sat 20-Sep-08 06:13 PM
975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 34

Seal Beach, US

Good news: Adobe has announced that Beta 4.6 of its RAW processing software will handle such files from the P6000, meaning that it can be done on a PC or Mac with Photoshop and probably Lightroom eventually.

Bad news: Preliminary results from a couple of users on dpreview.com show that it takes about four seconds for the P6000 to write a RAW file onto even a fast memory card. For comparison's sake, the Panasonic LX3 will handle two or three RAW images a second up to five when its buffer fills up.

For several reasons, I really wanted to like this camera, despite its $500 street price and its small sensor, overpacked with pixels, i.e., in excess of 14MP. (It uses 4:1 pixel binning at, if I recall correctly, ISO 800 and above, for just 3.5MP resolution.)

My impression is that Nikon really does not want the P6000 to be used as the P&S for its DSLR fans. Next week Photokina starts...

Adrian

Photography, though not an art form in itself, has the peculiar capacity to turn all of its subjects into works of art. Susan Sontag, On Photography, p. 149. 1977.

rbeal Registered since 16th Aug 2006Tue 23-Sep-08 10:11 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 34

Cheltenham, GB

>>Thom Hogan in his web site wrote:
>>
>>"Personally, I'm disappointed in Nikon's Coolpix
>efforts
>>since the 8800, and the P6000 actually increases that
>>disappointment. My advice is to look at the Ricoh GX-200
>and
>>the Panasonic LX-3 if you want a quality compact camera in
>the
>>near term. Both have true raw support. Both are
>excellent,
>>photographer-centric cameras. And with care using raw
>>conversion, both produce fine results at low ISO values.
>Looks
>>like I need a new Coolpix bumper sticker to add to my
>>collection: Skip the P6000."
>--------------------------
>they do have limitations with the post processing software
>no?
>

I can't answer for the Ricoh but I have the Panasonic LX3 and it produces true Raw files and it comes with free software equivalent to Nikon Capture NX2. Good software that does what you expect. It will create JPG or TIF files as you wish (e.g. for processing in Photoshop). The software works on Windows or Mac. (Best thing about the camera is the 24mm f/2 lens which surely makes it the best compact if you like wide angle and better performance in poor light.)

Richard

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Mon 11-Aug-08 02:40 AM
3323 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

As I've posted elsewhere, when I saw the original rumor/leak posts about the P6000, I was very interested in it. There are lots of us with high-end gear who want the convenience of a Point and Shoot camera but don't want to compromise on certain aspects of image quality.

Most point and shoot digicams fail in one or more of the following areas:

-Lens is not wide enough. Give us 24-28mm equivalent on the wide end; I'll save the telephoto work for my big lenses

-Ergonomics nightmare. I don't want to have to dig into menus to change AF or exposure settings.

-Image quality above ISO 400. The rush to pack more and more pixels on tiny sensors has yielded a slew of noise machines.

-Lack of RAW support. For Nikon, this means NEF.

My disappointment with the P6000 was magnified because it is close to hitting the mark on several of these issues, but until we get a camera with true NEF support (readable by ACR and Capture NX), I might as well get a JPEG-only camera.

I'm saving my $500 until then.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2

www.luminescentphoto.com

Listen to The Image Doctors

mroki Registered since 08th Aug 2008Mon 11-Aug-08 11:51 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 14

Dar es Salaam, TZ

Thanks Nikon for this as much as I love Nikon Cameras I ‘must do even for this new baby P6000
We must compete in very high speed with those which I can't mention here. Please make sure that even here in Dar es Salaam Tanzania we get the product.
For the features which I have seen in that hand camera it’s almost good.
Nikonias we can go far by this.

georgesass Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2007Mon 11-Aug-08 01:47 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"

Annapolis, US

I can't believe what a marketing blunder this is. Like other semi-pros, I've been waiting for a P&S that I could integrate into my NEF/NX2/Mac workflow, and I thought this was going to be it. I'm shooting with a D200 and mostly pro glass, and I guess I'll continue to use my D70 with consumer glass when I want to lighten my load.

What was Nikon thinking? The G9 is going to be hotter than ever!

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 12-Aug-08 04:03 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"

Salt Lake City, US

I agree with you on all your points. After I regained my composure from the .nrw news, I looked at the alien landscape on the back panel of the P6000. The controls hold little resemblance to any Nikon DSLR, and you're spot on calling the ergonomics a nightmare. I can only conclude that Nikon didn't consider its DSLR users part of the target market for this camera. I wonder who those target users are? Unfortunately, it's not a big surprise. Early in the Coolpix days Nikon was an innovator. But over several generations Nikon hasn't put out a category-leading Coolpix camera. With Micro 4/3's potential, Panasonic's LX-3, Ricoh's GX compacts, and the slow but inovative Sigma DP-1 targeting pent-up demand for serious compact digital cameras, Nikon's P6000 effort is both confused and confusing.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

hand Registered since 05th Feb 2008Wed 13-Aug-08 03:10 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"

new york, US

The Ricoh gx-200
would be my choice for this type camera.

Panasonic would be, but for the lack of a viewfinder.

Nikon/Canon, respectively fall short.
I suppose they fear cutting into dslr sales
which would make sense for amateur shooters
who look more for convenience.

jeremyrh Registered since 02nd Nov 2004Thu 14-Aug-08 10:57 AM
517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 27

Copenhagen, DK

>The Ricoh gx-200
>would be my choice for this type camera.
>
>Panasonic would be, but for the lack of a viewfinder.

The LX3 has an external optional v/f, like the Ricoh.

jeremyrh

---------
D300; D80; Nikkor 17-55/2.8; 70-200/2.8; 18-200; 18-70; 70-300; 85/1.4; 50/1.8; Sigma 30/1.4; Tokina 12-24; SB600

< Previous|
1|2|3|4|5|Next >

rbeal Registered since 16th Aug 2006Mon 25-Aug-08 06:06 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 28

Cheltenham, GB

I'm trying to choose which to buy.

I've just read this comprehensive review of the Panasonic LX-3, which appears to be widely available now.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_panasonic_lumix_dmc_lx3.php

What do you think? Nikon/Ricoh/Panasonic?

Richard

ptomsu Registered since 14th Oct 2007Mon 11-Aug-08 04:14 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0

Korneuburg, AT

I was waiting for this camera, especially it's RAW features, since I tend to use RAW almost exclusively.

Great camera, great concept, almost perfect - EXCEPT the WIC RAW ONLY feature - as far as I understand will work RAW only on Windows machines and WIC capable applications.

Since I am a MAC user running Aperture this RAW is not supported on these platforms, so I will never buy this camera then

Need to go for Canon or Panasonic for my compact being capable of shooting RAW.

I think this was a bad decision from Nikon. But maybe something will change till camera availability.

IgorV Registered since 05th Mar 2002Mon 11-Aug-08 09:29 AM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 11-Aug-08 09:32 AM by IgorV

Ljubljana, SI

Hi Bo,

I'll buy it if I can open the raw files with Aperture or Capture NX. Sunshine or rainy day, Windows OS is no option for me. I thought this could be my perfect small camera to complement the D300 if it had raw, I like its size/handling, 28mm wide angle and (finally) the 30 second shutter.

Picture quality will be great IMO. Without raw I will pass and stick with my P5100.

Regards,
Igor

Nikonian on the sunny side of the Alps
Visit my Nikonians Gallery.

kbird Basic MemberMon 11-Aug-08 11:54 AM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 16

Shrewsbury, GB

Was waiting for this one with high hopes. Very disappointing.

Interesting discussion too on Adobe Forums :

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.59b61a1b

Ken Bird
Shropshire, UK

wilbur6 Registered since 07th Apr 2006Mon 11-Aug-08 03:24 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I too am disappointed with the specs of the P6000. I have only recently begun to use the raw format and had hoped to have a Nikon p&s that was compatible. For now I will stick to my D300 and P5100.

johnallen Registered since 25th Feb 2008Mon 11-Aug-08 03:34 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 21

Mississauga, CA

Echoing the common theme of this thread:

I have been waiting for a Nikon compact with RAW support compatible with Capture NX2. Introducing the P6000 with NRW that is NOT supported by NX2 is an extraordinarily dumb marketing move. It looks like I'm waiting for the Canon G10 now.

IgorV Registered since 05th Mar 2002Tue 26-Aug-08 09:23 AM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 22
Tue 26-Aug-08 09:23 AM by IgorV

Ljubljana, SI

The G10 will share this "feature" with the P6000. NRW file format might eventually be supported by other programs and the non-windows OS, the sooner the better, but you will not solve the NX2 incompatibility problem by switching brand.

Regards,
Igor

Nikonian on the sunny side of the Alps
Visit my Nikonians Gallery.

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Mon 11-Aug-08 03:57 PM
992 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I have been waiting for just such a camera to compliment my DSLR's and now I am disappointed to find that it will not "fit in" with my NEF workflow - bad marketing decision IMO.

If I had any say in the matter I would love to have a ~6MP P&S, RAW (NEF) output, corrected optical VF so the LCD can be off and a fast response! I would NOT want ethernet, GPS info or other bells and whistles that seem to be included - I cannot believe there are folk who actually sit and "edit" pics on the 3" screen!! Why do Nikon think there are?

No I will definitely be passing (again) on this camera!

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

lifewings Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2008Mon 11-Aug-08 06:58 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 23

Santa Fe, US

You have got to be kidding! Why bring out a whole new file format ... doesn't make sense, eithr for folks with Pro/prosumer camers looking for a compatible p&s, or for future pro/prosumer users who would want to upgrade to a DSLR from their p&s. This is very disappointing.

I was actually hoping to get this p &s for a "pocket" camera, when it doesn't suit to have my D300 with me, but now ... I'll be looking elsewhere.

sduford Basic MemberMon 11-Aug-08 11:57 PM
592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 23

Sora, PA

Why in the world would Nikon invent a new and incompatible raw format? Isn't this thing supposed to use the "Expeed" processor? Wouldn't it be simpler and more sensible to use the good old NEF format?

And why 13.5 Mpix? There is really no good reason for P&S cameras to have more than 8 or 10 Mpix. I would take an 8Mpix camera with outstanding image quality and excellent performance to ISO800 over a 13.5 Mpix camera with poor image quality and poor high ISO performance (this remains to be seen of course...)

Sylvain,
There is no substitute for aperture...
Photoblog | My Gallery | DigitalFotographer

gallon Registered since 23rd Jun 2007Mon 25-Aug-08 02:29 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 25

>Why in the world would Nikon invent a new and incompatible
>raw format? Isn't this thing supposed to use the
>"Expeed" processor? Wouldn't it be simpler and more
>sensible to use the good old NEF format?
>
>And why 13.5 Mpix? There is really no good reason for P&S
>cameras to have more than 8 or 10 Mpix. I would take an 8Mpix
>camera with outstanding image quality and excellent
>performance to ISO800 over a 13.5 Mpix camera with poor image
>quality and poor high ISO performance (this remains to be seen
>of course...)

Isn't it obvious why they went to 13.5 Mpix? No one seems to be getting this. It is precisely *for* high ISO performance. Here's my theory. Note in the specifications that at ISO 6400 the Mpix drop down to some 3 Mpix or so. That is telling me that they are now collecting light from 4 original pix for each final pix. They have the processing power to do that. It makes use of the full light gathering power of the lens and it is still a full frame shot. It all makes sense.

Now, if the thing will turn on quickly, and take the danged picture when I tell it to, then I will be sold on it.

The RAW issue doesn't concern me. Someone will work out a patch rather soon, just like for everything else.

Narsuitus Registered since 22nd Dec 2003Sat 23-Aug-08 05:49 PM
1152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Worth/Dallas, US

I have been a Nikon SLR user for decades. I have never been a CoolPix fan (I shoot a Canon G5). When I read about the new Nikon P6000, I decided to enter the CoolPix forum for the first time in order to obtain information about this new compact. I was hoping that Nikon had finally made a compact that would meet my needs so that I could replace my aging G5.

Needless to say, I was overwhelmed by the controversy over the P6000’s new psuedo-RAW file format. I have decided to stick with my Canon G5.

sduford Basic MemberMon 25-Aug-08 10:11 PM
592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 29

Sora, PA

The more I read about this, the more I think the RAW issue is really a non-issue.

Windows Imaging Component is not really required to read this RAW format, it just happens to be the only existing software can do so. In time all software vendors will support the P6000's RAW format.

I just wish Nikon would have announced that NX2 would support it. Seems really dumb if they don't...

As for the High ISO thing, I would rather have a clean full res 8 or 10 Mpix image at 800 ISO then a 3 Mpix image at 6400 ISO.

Sylvain,
There is no substitute for aperture...
Photoblog | My Gallery | DigitalFotographer

nikster Registered since 08th May 2006Tue 23-Sep-08 07:07 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 32
Tue 23-Sep-08 08:11 PM by nikster

Fort Collins, US

I'm puzzled about the concerns on packing so many pixels onto a smaller sensor. -Edit-

Never mind - I figured it out.

Neuritis Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2007Wed 24-Sep-08 05:11 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 36
Wed 24-Sep-08 05:13 AM by Neuritis

Canton, US

Ok let me see if I'm getting this right because I've been holding off on a P&S for a loooong time.

1. The new raw format can't be opened "by" or "on" a mac? Which one? I'm guessing adobe will probably support it soon. Aperture I don't know enough about. So the people who get screwed are Mac and Nikon software users and maybe other non Adobe people.

I guess I can live with this since I use PC but I might only save in DNG when Adobe supports it.

Oh, and aren't the coolpix Sanyo made? Is that rumor or fact? I'll have to look that up. Maybe that had some bearing on the RAW format?

2. The high pixel count worries me because I thought Nikon was heading down the clean image route. I was/am seriously waiting to see Sigma's next offering if they make one. I haven't seen any images yet so I'll hold my opinion for now.

3. Comes with a optical view finder from the release I read (Adorama). That's cool with me it doesn't have to be great just somewhat functional.

4. CLS capability not necessary but I know I'll use it once in a while.

5. GPS see above

6. ISO 6400 would be cool with a larger less dense sensor. Will wait till I see samples and reviews. Maybe the MP vary as ISO increases (reaching here because I so want GOOD nikon P&S)

7. Manual focus cool but will go to the camera store to see this.

8. Four secs to write RAW? Not cool if true. I'm assuming that there is no buffer since people are not liking this fact. Not quite a deal breaker by itself for me I'm not looking for speed. I guess what I'm thinking is if the Image quality is there at higher ISO's I might get it.♠

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Mon 29-Sep-08 04:42 AM
2318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

Nikon must have a reason to make this camera unsuitable for their core DSLR customers who use NEF format. I just cannot figure out what that reason might be.

wfbjr Registered since 01st Jan 2004Mon 27-Oct-08 11:05 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I looked at this camera with great anticipation at Photoexpo Plus. Unfortunately, it really isn't something that seems to appeal to a long time Nikon user like me. It it tiny, and really cannot take an external flash of any size. It champions GPS and picturetown at the expense of things we would want in a digital rangefinder. The lack of a battery charger, per Nikon, is because the camera must be connected to upload to picturetown. The manual focus is very convoluted, and not practical. The layout is backwards, with you having to drill down through the menus to find most settings. Just setting the manual shutter speed and aperture is a task.

The RAW issue has been flogged to no end. The write speed is very slow. Nikon admitted it is slower than my D100 in raw. Shoot, wait, shoot, wait, etc.

Nikon said that a true digital rangefinder is not something they think has a market or anyone would be interested in. Are we not being heard?

I hate to say it, but the G10 is setup so much better, with the dials for ISO, exposure compensation, and the jog wheel for shutter speeds and aperture in manual. I hate to say it, but I may be buying my first Canon after 30 years of Nikons.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

wfbjr.
BoglePhoto
www.BoglePhoto.com

Take only pictures, leave only footprints. Remember, the image matters.

Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004Tue 28-Oct-08 01:17 AM
#41. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 40

Seal Beach, US

A couple of reviews of the P6000 are in progress that should perhaps be of interest.

1. Luminous-Landscape is doing a comparison of the P6000, G10, and Panasonic LX3. (All produce RAW images.) It will be on their website by the end of October. The LX3 review and an interesting and very positive piece on the G10 are up there already.

2. From a posting on dpreview and comments on his own website, I know that Thom Hogan purchased the P6000 shortly after Adobe added its RAW format to their Camera RAW (bypassing the issue of NX2 not working on a Mac with this camera for this purpose). He made some preliminary comments along the line of yours, Bill, and has expressed some frustration about not being able to find an accessory in the US he wants for his review.

I share the frustration of many whose expectations for this $500 Coolpix rose throughout the summer.

Adrian

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 31-Oct-08 10:37 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 41

Salt Lake City, US

The P6000 doesn't fare well at Luminous Landscape vs. the G10, for good reason. Photography Blog has a P6000 vs. G10 review up today, again the P6000 doesn't fare well, although I don't put a lot of value in Photography Blog's reviews.

I've personally cooled on the LX3. While it has some nice features I wish my LX2 had (like a hotshoe for an optical finder), the lens isn't as good as I had hoped. There's signficant falloff, barrel distortion at the wide end, and chromatic aberration. Panasonic fixes this in-camera, and the Silkypix raw processor they provide fixes it by default too. But when ACR adds LX3 support, the fixes won't be automated - and distortion/CA correction does degrade image quality.

The G10 looks like best of the bunch, but I think I'll stick with the LX2 as my pocket camera and see what Olympus does with the execution of their Micro 4/3 concept camera next year.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004Sat 01-Nov-08 01:31 AM
#43. "RE: Nikon coolpix P6000"
In response to Reply # 42

Seal Beach, US

BJ,

Your comments on the LX3's lens distortion and its correction are well taken. A less ambitious focal-length range, e.g., 28-80mm equivalent, would make for a more useable camera for my own needs. Still, I applaud Panasonic for putting a less-pixel-dense sensor in this camera. Its apparent sales should encourage them (and Nikon?)in this practice.

I have decided that the G10 is just the wrong combination of large and heavy P&S body and tiny P&S sensor, despite its clever design, e.g., keeping its aperture set for an optimum ISO. I'm as likely to carry my D300 as I am a G10.

A reworked P6000, keeping its existing form factor, could still make a nice camera. Fewer pixels on its sensor (a little physically larger, please!), recalibration of its logic, omission of its GPS and ethernet ports, inclusion of an internal buffer, and performance intended for current DSLR owners could make an attractive package for $400 to $450 retail. Still, I'm feeling like Charlie Brown making a run at the football every year, waiting for Nikon to make a P&S camera for me.

Adrian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #7350 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.