Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #241
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coolpix 990 has significant flash related bugs..." Previous topic | Last topic
BJ Nicholls Fri 21-Jul-00 09:53 PM

"Coolpix 990 has significant flash related bugs..."

It's apparent now that the 990 has several flash related bugs. I've had problems with flash exposures and I've found recent postings around the web and at the Nikontech site that point to repeatable errors:

- When using flash in fill mode (or any mode with bright ambient lighting) the camera selects a one stop faster shutter speed and underexposes the image by one stop.

- I've found the camera produces consistently underexposed images when used with an external SB-28 flash in the M-Rec mode and the internal flash disabled. I haven't tried using both internal and external flashes.

- The 990 sends no signal to a Nikon external flash to kick it out of standby mode. You must manually override the standby mode on the flash, or turn it to the always on position.

- I've discovered that exposure compensation doesn't affect exposure when the flash is used (making it impossible to compensate for the underexposure bug).

BJ Nicholls
Salt Lake City, Utah

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberTue 25-Jul-00 02:15 PM
18608 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Coolpix 990 has significant flash related bugs..."
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

BJ

I've been thinking about buying a 990 so I have this question regardging the use of the sb-28: Is this connected to the camera via cable of some sort? Would using the internal flash, and a remote sb-26 or sb-28 with su-4 remote trigger correct the under exposure?

Just wondering.

Anthony

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 25-Jul-00 05:04 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Coolpix 990 has significant flash related bugs..."
In response to Reply # 1

Salt Lake City, US

The 990 has a connector for a Nikon TTL cord. I use an SC-19 to connect directly to the SB-28. The internal flash will trigger a flash on the SU-4 remote, provided the sensor can be oriented to the camera. I've also worked with the SB-29 connected by cord and my SB-22s on the SU-4 (camera's internal flash disabled). The underexposure appears to be a basic error in the way the camera works in the pseudo-TTL mode. I haven't played much with manual flash modes to force a better exposure, but that may be possible. I typically disable the camera's internal flash since it usually doesn't add to the product lighting setups I'm using.

One of the benefits I'm getting with having the 990 is being able to instantly preview lighting setups for my F100 or N80 without the benefit of modelling lights or Polaroid proofs. Unfortunately, I have to be cautious with using the digital previews since the 990 isn't providing reliable exposure control.

BJ Nicholls
Salt Lake City, UT

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #241 Previous topic | Last topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.