nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Coolpix 990 has significant flash related bugs...

Fri 21-Jul-00 08:53 PM

It's apparent now that the 990 has several flash related bugs. I've had problems with flash exposures and I've found recent postings around the web and at the Nikontech site that point to repeatable errors:

- When using flash in fill mode (or any mode with bright ambient lighting) the camera selects a one stop faster shutter speed and underexposes the image by one stop.

- I've found the camera produces consistently underexposed images when used with an external SB-28 flash in the M-Rec mode and the internal flash disabled. I haven't tried using both internal and external flashes.

- The 990 sends no signal to a Nikon external flash to kick it out of standby mode. You must manually override the standby mode on the flash, or turn it to the always on position.

- I've discovered that exposure compensation doesn't affect exposure when the flash is used (making it impossible to compensate for the underexposure bug).

BJ Nicholls
Salt Lake City, Utah

G