nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon Coolpix Cameras (Public) topic #213
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coolpix 990 movies" Previous topic | Next topic
DavidG     Basic Member Mon 12-Feb-01 03:40 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Coolpix 990 movies"

Hi,
I've started playing with the little movies that the 990 lets you make; all good fun. However when I open them up in QuickTime to play them they need to be rotated 90 degrees - they are horizontal rather than vertical - and camera orientation doesn't make any difference! Can this list help me out please? What am I doing wrong, or, is there an application somewhere which will let me tip them up the right way? (I hasten to add I can't find anything in QuickTime which will do it).
DavidG

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Coolpix 990 movies BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
12th Feb 2001
Reply message RE: Coolpix 990 movies DavidG
14th Feb 2001
     Reply message RE: Coolpix 990 movies BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
15th Feb 2001
15th Feb 2001
          Reply message RE: Coolpix 990 movies DavidG
19th Feb 2001

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources   Salt Lake City, US  Charter Member Mon 12-Feb-01 04:34 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Coolpix 990 movies"
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-01 AT 05:46 AM (GMT)

Unfortunately, the 990 isn't smart enough to detect a vertical position when you're taking an image or making a movie. The file for any image is saved as a horizontal frame. I'm not sure what you mean about camera orientation not making a difference... horizontally captured movies should view correctly via a media player, vertically captured movies will play rotated horizontally. The same thing is true of the still images - you have to rotate vertical shots 90 degrees.

You can rotate the movies using a Quicktime editor, or at least a video editing package that supports Quicktime import. I'll check and see what technique I used to rotate a movie and get back to you (I have a couple of video editing programs and some other utilities - I forget what worked). Frankly, the Nikon software should have a file rotation (not just a temporary thumbnail rotation) capability for both images and movies. Oh well, nobody said this would be easy. Wait a minute... they DID say this would be easy!

BJ

Okay, here's what I did:

I opened the quicktime movie file in Adobe ImageReady 2.0 (included with Photoshop 6.0). You can import the whole movie with every frame or you can select reduce the number of imported frames by choosing every second, third (and so on) frame and by setting the start and stop image in a sequence. Once you import the images you choose Image, Rotate Canvas, 90° CCW and the entire set of frames will be rotated to the correct position. You then have to Export the movie back to quicktime (.mov) format, or another animation format.

There has to be a better way, perhaps some shareware to do this job. I'll certainly get back if I discover a utility to do the rotation.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

DavidG     Basic Member Wed 14-Feb-01 08:46 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Coolpix 990 movies"
In response to Reply # 1

Dear BJ
Thank you for taking the time to suggest a solution (and for mailing it to me off-list too). Some further experimentation throws up an interesting twist. I'd had the 990 set on image size of 3:2 before switching to movie and that appears to have forced the movies into horizontal mode (whereby people appear sideways) whatever the original orientation of the camera. When I went back to an image size setting of VGA, whoopee, movie now oriented correctly! Given that the specs for movies stipulate an image size of 320x240 and a quality of QVGA, I don't quite understand how I was able to lock it into 3:2 but there it was ...

BJ's suggestion of a Quicktime editor has led me to search through the specs of half a dozen or so. I particularly liked quickEditor (shareware, Swiss) but it doesn't rotate movies.

DavidG

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources   Salt Lake City, US  Charter Member Thu 15-Feb-01 01:13 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Coolpix 990 movies"
In response to Reply # 2

It sounds like you found another bug in the 990 firmware. Since Nikon doesn't provide the means to rotate a movie you'd think that the orientation would at least be predictably horizontal only.

Since it's a unusual feature to need (until the advent of "dumb" digital cameras that can capture movie segments), it may be difficult to find either a multimedia editor or even a robust video editor that will rotate movie files. Video just isn't shot in a vertical format for replay on standard TVs. Since video for the web or cd should be more flexible to display, my best guess would be a multimedia authoring program. However, these aren't cheap and it may be wise to use or borrow access to Imageready 2. Sooner or later someone will write a utility to do the job since Nikon isn't the only camera maker to create this problem for users.

I would recommend you ask the same question at the dpdirect forums and see what other answers you might get. There are folks there who are pushing the digital envelope. If there is a utility, someone there will know...
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources   Salt Lake City, US  Charter Member Thu 15-Feb-01 06:39 PM
#4. "RE: Coolpix 990 movies"
In response to Reply # 2

There is a suggestion in the dpreviews archives that Quick Time Pro ($29) will perform rotation of movies. I don't know if that means it will rotate the display image or if it will allow you to rotate and resave a file. I will be able to find out in a day or two.

Another program mentioned for rotating AVI files is VideoMach (shareware). This program does not support Quiktime, so the files would have to be converted first.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

DavidG     Basic Member Mon 19-Feb-01 08:34 PM
#5. "RE: Coolpix 990 movies"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks to BJNicholls for the guidance - I've investigated the archives he/she suggested and found the answer. QuickTime Pro can rotate the movies made by the 990!
DavidG

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon Coolpix Cameras (Public) topic #213 Previous topic | Next topic