Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #205
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon Coolpix Technical Forum" Previous topic | Next topic
Book Hunter Basic MemberSat 04-Nov-00 01:58 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Coolpix Technical Forum"

Were any of you regular participants in the Nikon technical forum (on the Nikon webpage) before they took it down? I really miss it. It was informative and entertaining. The advice from the Nikontechs was really good and helped me make much better use of my Coolpix.

Do any of you know why they closed it? Was it a marketing or a productivity thing? I have been trying to let Nikon know that they made a mistake in closing it down but nothing seems to work.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Coolpix Technical Forum
BJNicholls Gold Member
04th Nov 2000
Book Hunter
05th Nov 2000
BJNicholls Gold Member
05th Nov 2000
ibobk Silver Member
24th Feb 2001
beverett
24th Feb 2001
AlanC
24th Feb 2001
ibobk Silver Member
24th Feb 2001

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSat 04-Nov-00 03:57 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Coolpix Technical Forum"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

I'm not very impressed with Nikon USA's digital support group. I discovered the forums and struggled with the odd login, plus the regular server problems they had.

I contacted the webmaster about posting problems and he wrote back about how their forum was under frequent bulk posting attack by someone with an grudge against the Nikontech site. He also mentioned that he was looking for more secure forum software.

The Nikontech USA site is so badly designed it's hard to believe it's an official arm of Nikon. Nikon USA is apparently too cheap to provide a decent site with a professionally administered support forum.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Book Hunter Basic MemberSun 05-Nov-00 02:15 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon Coolpix Technical Forum"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes, the website design waas really quite awful.

The information shared was very valuable though. And not necessarily from the Nikontechs. The participation and openness from users was very good. Among the nuggets I was able to glean which I would never have known just by reading the manuals: the filter size of the TC3ED teleconverter; the best rechargable batteries (NOT the Energizers that shipped with the Coolpix Millennium); maximum voltage allowed for the flash PC connector. Many others too. Unfortunately, never did write them down since I always thought that I could search the Forum anytime.

Now it's gone and no way to retrieve the information. I hope more Coolpixians (Coolpixites?, Coolpixers?) discover this site. Postings on this forum seem to be few and far between.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSun 05-Nov-00 04:02 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon Coolpix Technical Forum"
In response to Reply # 2

Salt Lake City, US

I agree, the forum had great information... warts and all. If Nikon USA couldn't maintain the forum, they could at least make the archives available. I think they've been understaffed and unprepared for the rapid growth of digital. It's tempting for a company to worry about opening a forum where people post questions about problems. However, the only good move is to tough it out. Customers will help find problems and help make a product better. An open forum will often answer questions faster and better than a phone call to support.

The digital forums are pretty quiet here... I suspect that activity will pick up when Nikon introduces additional digital SLRs.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

ibobk Silver Member Charter MemberSat 24-Feb-01 02:23 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon Coolpix Technical Forum"
In response to Reply # 3

Naples, US

As a brand new member I could only see correspondence about the forum itself in the "CoolPix Technical Forum". Is this the right place to raise a specific technical question? I'll post my question anyway, so that you can tell me where else to go with it, if not here.

The question is about memories and transfer rates. According to info from Lexar web site, Lexar CompactFlash memories are working at "8x" or "10x" etc. speeds. Further digging revealed that "1" stands for 150KB/sec., so, 8x means 1.2 MB/sec.and 10 means 1.5MB/sec. This means that in my CoolPix 990 with an 8X memory a "FULL/Hi" 9MB TIFF image would take, at least theoretically, about 8 seconds to register, unless the camera itself has a lower limitation. Does anyone know (or know how to find out):a) what is the CoolPix 990 internal transfer rate limit? and b) how to find out, except for Lexar, the memory speeds. Ideally, the memory speed should be a high as the maximum internal speed to get the shortest possible waiting time between shots.

Bob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

beverett Basic MemberSat 24-Feb-01 12:31 PM
477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon Coolpix Technical Forum"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Very good question. I have wondered about that myself. I own the 990 and can tell you from experience there is a significant difference in transfer rates between Lexar and , say, Sandisk which I also own. It is some trouble to find Lexar as few places carry it( even camera stores), at least here in the Atlanta area, but I have tracked some down. As the difference in price between Lexar and everybody else is insignificant, I will take the trouble to find it.

Bob

PS Thanks for the digital question. There is little discussion on this forum about digital issues and there should be more in my opinion.

AlanC Basic MemberSat 24-Feb-01 05:11 PM
2700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon Coolpix Technical Forum"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Take a look at http://www.robgalbraith.com/reports/2001_02_17_compactflash.html which should answer your question about card speeds. I'm not sure how you could find out the maximum transfer rate of the 990 if Nikon can't tell you short of the same method Rob Galbraith used for the D1 - i.e. trying cards of progressively higher speeds until you get no further advantage - although that's not a very practical solution.

You might like to post questions on subjects such as this to the Nikon Digital Imaging forum in the Software, Digital Imaging & Printing section in future. It's somewhat quiet at the moment since there don't seem to be too many digital Nikonians about, but please do join in.

Alan.

ibobk Silver Member Charter MemberSat 24-Feb-01 10:19 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon Coolpix Technical Forum"
In response to Reply # 6

Naples, US

The feedback was very useful. I very much appreciate it.
I will check out the forum you suggest.

Bob

Bob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #205 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.