Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #198
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
Steven_Carlton Basic MemberTue 27-Feb-01 09:42 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"

Hi everyone, I could sure use some help. Here's my problem:
When attempting to get multiple flashes per exposure, (Strobe effect) the flash only fires once regardless of shutter speed. I've tried speeds from 1 sec to 8 sec with the same results. Has anyone had similar issues and been able to resolve them? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem
AlanC
27th Feb 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
27th Feb 2001
Steven_Carlton
27th Feb 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
28th Feb 2001
Steven_Carlton
28th Feb 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
28th Feb 2001

AlanC Basic MemberTue 27-Feb-01 07:17 PM
2700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I found an article at http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers/DCExperiments/html/external_flash.html that suggests this feature will not work. The author says:

Nikon SB-28 and other flashes: NONE of the other fancy flash features that your flash might have will work, such as multiple flash, red-eye reduction, auto focus light, zoom setting etc, even on the official Nikon flashes. None. Absolutely zero. The type of flash does not matter. This especially applies to the Nikon SB-28, which is loaded with features that the camera can't use.

Unfortunately I don't own a 990 so I can't confirm this for you - do we have anybody out there who owns the camera and a flash with the strobe capability who could?

Alan.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 27-Feb-01 08:08 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Salt Lake City, US

I can confirm it. Only Nikon SLR bodies support the advanced features of the SB-28. Unfortunately, many CoolPix owners spend way too much for a flash with features they can never use with the camera.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Steven_Carlton Basic MemberTue 27-Feb-01 08:56 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Alan, et all

Thanks for the information. Your right, it's not what I wanted to hear but at least I now know what the flash is capable of. It's too bad Nikon doesn't let thier customers know this but rather lists the entire line of speedlights as compatible. I feel cheated in a way. This information would definitely have influenced my decision to purchase the SB-28.

Steven Carlton

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 28-Feb-01 03:08 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Salt Lake City, US

I agree that Nikon doesn't exactly make "compatibility" very clear in their marketing for the Coolpix.

Did you buy an SB-28 or the even more expensive SB-28DX? Either of the two works with Nikon's film SLR bodies, but the DX solves some problems that are specific to D1 bodies (while providing no additional features). The D1 has fallen dramatically in price and will continue to be more affordable as time goes on. You could look into moving up if and when it makes sense to you.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Steven_Carlton Basic MemberWed 28-Feb-01 04:13 AM
#5. "RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 4

BJ,

Sadly, I do not have the SB-28DX. Guess I should have done more research up front prior to my purchase. I am now toying with the notion of building my own custom interface that would give me the repaeting flash mode capability. I have an electronics background and on the surface this does not seem too difficult a task. I wonder if anyone else has had similar thoughts. Also, I am going to ask Nikon if this problem could be solved via a firmware update to the coolpix 990. Bottom line is I haven't completely given up yet.

Steven

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 28-Feb-01 01:59 PM
#6. "RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 5

Salt Lake City, US

Ask about doing strobe sequence exposures with the 990 here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1007

If anyone has figured out how to do it, you'll be sure to find out from Peter iNova and the other experts who hang out there...

Best luck,

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #198 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.