nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon Coolpix Cameras (Public) topic #198
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
Steven_Carlton     Basic Member Tue 27-Feb-01 10:42 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"

Hi everyone, I could sure use some help. Here's my problem:
When attempting to get multiple flashes per exposure, (Strobe effect) the flash only fires once regardless of shutter speed. I've tried speeds from 1 sec to 8 sec with the same results. Has anyone had similar issues and been able to resolve them? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem AlanC
27th Feb 2001
Reply message RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
27th Feb 2001
Reply message RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem Steven_Carlton
27th Feb 2001
     Reply message RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
28th Feb 2001
          Reply message RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem Steven_Carlton
28th Feb 2001
28th Feb 2001

AlanC   UK  Basic Member Tue 27-Feb-01 08:17 PM
2700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I found an article at http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers/DCExperiments/html/external_flash.html that suggests this feature will not work. The author says:

Nikon SB-28 and other flashes: NONE of the other fancy flash features that your flash might have will work, such as multiple flash, red-eye reduction, auto focus light, zoom setting etc, even on the official Nikon flashes. None. Absolutely zero. The type of flash does not matter. This especially applies to the Nikon SB-28, which is loaded with features that the camera can't use.

Unfortunately I don't own a 990 so I can't confirm this for you - do we have anybody out there who owns the camera and a flash with the strobe capability who could?

Alan.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources   Salt Lake City, US  Charter Member Tue 27-Feb-01 09:08 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

I can confirm it. Only Nikon SLR bodies support the advanced features of the SB-28. Unfortunately, many CoolPix owners spend way too much for a flash with features they can never use with the camera.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Steven_Carlton     Basic Member Tue 27-Feb-01 09:56 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Alan, et all

Thanks for the information. Your right, it's not what I wanted to hear but at least I now know what the flash is capable of. It's too bad Nikon doesn't let thier customers know this but rather lists the entire line of speedlights as compatible. I feel cheated in a way. This information would definitely have influenced my decision to purchase the SB-28.

Steven Carlton

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources   Salt Lake City, US  Charter Member Wed 28-Feb-01 04:08 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

I agree that Nikon doesn't exactly make "compatibility" very clear in their marketing for the Coolpix.

Did you buy an SB-28 or the even more expensive SB-28DX? Either of the two works with Nikon's film SLR bodies, but the DX solves some problems that are specific to D1 bodies (while providing no additional features). The D1 has fallen dramatically in price and will continue to be more affordable as time goes on. You could look into moving up if and when it makes sense to you.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Steven_Carlton     Basic Member Wed 28-Feb-01 05:13 AM
#5. "RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 4

BJ,

Sadly, I do not have the SB-28DX. Guess I should have done more research up front prior to my purchase. I am now toying with the notion of building my own custom interface that would give me the repaeting flash mode capability. I have an electronics background and on the surface this does not seem too difficult a task. I wonder if anyone else has had similar thoughts. Also, I am going to ask Nikon if this problem could be solved via a firmware update to the coolpix 990. Bottom line is I haven't completely given up yet.

Steven

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources   Salt Lake City, US  Charter Member Wed 28-Feb-01 02:59 PM
#6. "RE: Coolpix 990 & SB-28 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 5

Ask about doing strobe sequence exposures with the 990 here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1007

If anyone has figured out how to do it, you'll be sure to find out from Peter iNova and the other experts who hang out there...

Best luck,

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon Coolpix Cameras (Public) topic #198 Previous topic | Next topic