Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #190
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to attach a grip strap to CP990 cameras" Previous topic | Next topic
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberMon 15-Jan-01 04:31 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to attach a grip strap to CP990 cameras"

Salt Lake City, US

I've seen several requests around the web for info on using a grip strap the the CoolPix 990. The CoolPix has a strap tunnel that presents a challenge for mounting a strap, but I've worked out an easy way to do the trick.

I hope the illustration above is clear enough. I apologize for not showing the strap attached to the camera, but I'll have to shoot that using 35mm later on. The nylon cable tie loop is inserted to run through the strap tunnel and the "head" of the tie keeps it from pulling through. If you don't have a cable tie, use some nylon cord tied in a loop and use the knot to prevent prevent the loop from pulling through.

I use the Zing Action Strap. Op/Tech also makes a neoprene grip strap and both can be found for about $20 US. Nikon also makes a grip strap, but it's significantly more expensive.

Please let me know if you have questions. I know some folks have started using cat/dog collars for CP990 straps, but I think this will be much more comfortable and secure.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message Where did you find this?
nikonman
23rd Mar 2001
Reply message RE: How to attach a grip strap to CP990 cameras
bobweber
23rd Mar 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
23rd Mar 2001
     Reply message using LCD with strap
bobweber
25th Mar 2001
          Reply message RE: using LCD with strap
BJNicholls Gold Member
25th Mar 2001
bgs Administrator
27th Mar 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
27th Mar 2001

nikonman Fri 23-Mar-01 03:41 AM

#1. "Where did you find this?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm wondering where I can find all three types. I've been doing searches online and I can't come up with anything.
Thanks.

bobweber Basic MemberFri 23-Mar-01 10:40 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to attach a grip strap to CP990 cameras"
In response to Reply # 0

where can you buy the strap?
You also mention another strap where can that by viewed and purchased?
Can the camera slide out of the strap and fall.
thanks
bob

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 23-Mar-01 01:53 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to attach a grip strap to CP990 cameras"
In response to Reply # 2

Salt Lake City, US

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-01 AT 04:30 PM (GMT)

Please note that I've updated my instruction photo to show a loop made from braided cord instead of a plastic cable tie.

Here are links to for the Zing strap and the OpTech strap:

http://saundersphoto.com/html/zing.htm (the Zing strap is called the Action Strap)

http://www.optechusa.com/security.htm#SECURITY%20STRAPS (called the Grip Strap)

There are dealer links at these sites, but I'd look for these at B&W, Adorama and Focus Camera.

As long as your home made attachment point is secure, the strap will stay attached to the camera. The OpTech strap fits more like a glove and would be more secure, if that's a concern. I just use the strap to provide a little more support when shooting, especially since a neck strap gets in the way for waist level shots.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

bobweber Basic MemberSun 25-Mar-01 11:57 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "using LCD with strap"
In response to Reply # 3

BJ
It looks like the zing strap is only meant for using the view finder. I have gotten into the habit of taking most shots with the LCD (excpt for sunny/bright days). Which strap is better for that use?
thanks
bob

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Mar-01 10:20 PM
#5. "RE: using LCD with strap"
In response to Reply # 4

Salt Lake City, US

I leave my grip strap on all the time. However, I don't stroll around with my Coolpix when shooting (my film SLRs serve that roll). I primarily use the LCD too, and the grip strap provides some extra security for both LCD and viewfinder viewing.

I put this together because I was reading about folks using puppy collars and the like to rig their own grip straps. Nikon's is very expensive. The Zing is priced reasonable, it's comfortable, and you can hang the camera from your wrist using the elastic strap as well as the neoprene part.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources Charter MemberTue 27-Mar-01 05:23 PM
5467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How to attach a grip strap to CP990 cameras"
In response to Reply # 0

Bratislava, SK

BJ,

Just a short thank you from this side of the puddle for your great visualisation on how to get the strap connected.

Lovely!

Bo (Nikonian in the Black Forest/Germany)
My profile and My gallery

Bo Stahlbrandt. Nikonians Founder and Administrator located in Bratislava/Slovakia and in the Black Forest/Germany.
Find out more about The Nikonians Team -- See the latest, hottest posts

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 27-Mar-01 10:58 PM
#7. "RE: How to attach a grip strap to CP990 cameras"
In response to Reply # 6

Salt Lake City, US

That's very kind, Bo.

I'm glad there's a quality forum like Nikonians in which I can share this stuff!

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #190 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.