Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #173
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coolpix995" Previous topic | Next topic
khunpat Basic MemberWed 25-Apr-01 12:36 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Coolpix995"

After weeks of going around the rumor mill it is here. Many will be disappointed but just how much better should a camera be after one year? I won't be trading my coolpix 990 but the 995 is good for anyone looking for their first digital camera.
Maybe next year we will get the 5.0 megapixel camera that we want. Looking at the 995 it would at least appear that Nikon are listening to us.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/nikon995.html

Steve has done a very good review too.

khun pat.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 25-Apr-01 02:20 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Coolpix995"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Not much to write home about with this new model except for one thing... the noise reduction feature will dramatically improve the low light performance. The rest of the changes are of minor benefit and the dedicated batteries may be a step in the wrong direction for some users. Thankfully, one battery and a charger will come in the package.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

michael1597 Sun 29-Apr-01 11:44 AM

#2. "RE: Coolpix995"
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-01 AT 03:22 PM (GMT)

This is great news as I refrained from getting the 990 in the hope something like this would come along and how.

nice changes:
4x zoom - with 3xED makes 450mm f5 12x zoom
Flip up flash - many are going to like this
white balance bracketing - I am going to like this
New lens now with two aspherical lenses
Noise reduction and ISO 800
Type 2 compactflash - works with microdrive but not approved
TIFF data and resolution improvement - I hope so
1/2300 top shutter - now we really can indulge ourselves.
Quick review and 6x enlargement - good

I felt the 990 was pretty good but I liked using my 950 a lot. What I really like about the 995 is the retaining of the 28mm
thread, that was important for me as the coolpix is the only non SLR systems digicam on the market...barring the Olympus and Sony but the Nikkor converters/filters are much more useful.

This time I intend getting one and saying goodbye to the reliable 950.

Michael

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberMon 30-Apr-01 01:55 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Coolpix995"
In response to Reply # 2

Salt Lake City, US

The changes Michael noted:

4X zoom offers more built in range, but still has barrel distortion, about the same optical performance.

Flip up flash may make very minor difference in redeye but the only truly effective way to eliminate it is to get the flash off the camera.

White balance bracketing, good feature but means hanging onto additional images for review on the computer.

2 aspherical elements, needed to maintain similar performance for the 4X range.

Noise reduction, big benefit over lousy high ISO performance of 990 although the new ISO 800 setting is noisy.

Type 2 CF without official approval for use with Microdrive? Sounds like Nikon is playing games here. Other cameras with Microdrive compatible slots have had problems with heat. If heat get to the imaging circuits, noise levels increase rapidly.

I don't know what the TIFF item is about. The 990 has tiff format files as an option. There is no impact on resolution, but the format eliminates JPEG compression artifacts that degrade image quality somewhat. The downside is that the files are huge compared to "fine" resolution jpeg images.

1/2300 shutter speed is 1.3X faster than the 990's max of 1/1000.

Quick review and 6X enlargement are nice enhancements to the interface.

I'll add one no reviewer has mentioned - Nikon has dropped the annoying strap tunnel in favor of two slotted strap lugs. Now any strap can be used with the CoolPix 995.

On the possible downside:

Dedicated batteries. Hopefully, Nikon has improved the charger system over the CP 880's unit which can be fussy about what wall socket you plug it into. Extra batteries will be more expensive than AA NiMH cells. If you can get by with a couple of batteries, the dedicated system probably will work well for you. If you use a lot of batteries you may not appreciate the extra costs.

Plastic body. Not bad in itself, but the pivot point is the weak spot in the CoolPix design. Only time will tell if Nikon has put enough substance here to avoid problems.

Things Nikon should have tackled, but didn't:

No hotshoe. Probably not possible to have with twist body design. The camera will still need a ttl cord and bracket to work with an accessory flash.

Flash sensor next to lens. Mount an accessory lens and the flash sensor is blocked by it.

Shiny LCD panel without any shade provision. Try to use the CoolPix in bright daylight and you'll be forced to play with aftermarket shades or resort to the crappy optical viewfinder.

Crappy optical viewfinder.

Still uses the USB port for the expensive and poorly designed remote release. Competing cameras include wireless remotes.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Kenny Basic MemberMon 14-May-01 07:35 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Coolpix995"
In response to Reply # 0

Perhaps someone can inform me if Nikonview software is now compatable with Windows Me without having to download the patch as you had to with the 990 and 880.
Thanks in advance

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #173 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.