nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #153
View in linear mode

Subject: "TC-E2 with coolpix for portraits" Previous topic | Next topic
herbet Basic MemberFri 20-Jul-01 02:46 PM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"TC-E2 with coolpix for portraits"

Have anybody tried the TC-E2 with the coolpix for portraits? I was thinking about getting one to my 950 to allow more blurred backgrounf since the coolpix lens is only f/4 at the tele end and I would need a f/2.8 to get the effect I want (based on 35mm equivalent). The thing is, I don't know if it would really do what I want (pretty much what you get with a 135mm at f/2.8).
any experiences/comments?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

michael1597 Sun 22-Jul-01 09:37 AM

#1. "RE: TC-E2 with coolpix for portraits"
In response to Reply # 0

Unfortunately consumer digital cams tend to have small capture CCDs and therefore you tend to have something called a multiplier effect. Basically even a f2 lens on a DC with still throw most of the back ground into distracting focus. The trick is to make use of close focussing distances, careful composition and a bit of editing skill in a image editor program. Certainly the TCE2 will improve things as the DOF with converters are narrower than the equivalent lens with the same aperture. This certainly is the case with 35mm equipment, a 200 f2 plus 2x TC will throw out the background more than a 400f4. Unfortunatley what you may be looking for in the TCE2 and portraits may still not be possible without the help of an image editor, for reasons outlined above.

How about TCE3? that would an even better option for blurrier backgrounds though more costly.

Good luck

Michael

herbet Basic MemberMon 23-Jul-01 05:29 PM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: TC-E2 with coolpix for portraits"
In response to Reply # 1

I thought of the TC3E but due to its bulkiness it almost comdemns you to be shooting on a tripod. Is there a way to calculate how much depth of field those little lens will have?

michael1597 Mon 23-Jul-01 08:26 PM

#3. "RE: TC-E2 with coolpix for portraits"
In response to Reply # 2

Roughly four times that of a 35mm lens. So if you shoot 10 feet away and get for a given wide open aperture, say, 2 feet DOF then for a typical digicam that would turn out to be around 8 feet. However to get really blurred backgrounds requires much less DOF and the background would have to be at least 10-15 feet away for a 35mm lens.

I agree with you the TCE3 is not small but if the light conditions are okay there should not be a problem if you shoot aroung 300 to 350mm. Another possibility is to use a spacer between the DC and TC, like an extender. There may be some third party accessories that are available or you could rig one up yourself, in which case the TCE2 would probably be more useful to you.

The image sotware method is still the easiest way to get proper blurred backgrounds.

Have fun

Michael

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #153 Previous topic | Next topic