Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #140
View in linear mode

Subject: "coolpix 990 batteries" Previous topic | Next topic
Kenny Basic MemberWed 07-Mar-01 07:06 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"coolpix 990 batteries"

Having just purchased a cp990, how long do other members charge their batteries for, the package the batteries came in recommended 14 hrs but I am confused if this was initially or every time you charge them , all your views would be most helpful

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: coolpix 990 batteries
beverett
07th Mar 2001
Dick
07th Mar 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
08th Mar 2001
beverett
08th Mar 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
09th Mar 2001
Reply message Coolpix 990 rules supreme!!!
blackhawk777
30th Jul 2001
blackhawk777
30th Jul 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
30th Jul 2001
blackhawk777
31st Jul 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
31st Jul 2001

beverett Basic MemberWed 07-Mar-01 08:24 PM
477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: coolpix 990 batteries"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The Nickle Metal Hydride batteries that I bought for my 990 take about 3-4 hours to recharge. Did you get a Nikon USA or international version of the Coolpix? The non-USA version, I understand, comes with rechargeable batteries and a charger. Sounds like what you have. If so, you might look into getting some independent batteries and a charger for quicker recharging.
By the way, you *will* need extra batteries. The 990 eats them for breakfast.

Bob

Dick Basic MemberWed 07-Mar-01 08:26 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: coolpix 990 batteries"
In response to Reply # 0

Congrats on your CP990. My new CP990 just arrived today.
Depends upon your batteries and your charger.
Did you buy NiMH batteries? Did you buy a "smart" charger?
Without a smart charger you can damage your batteries by overcharging. A good place for information on batteries and chargers is www.greenbatteries.com
I got mine from them. Good price, good service and good online information.
Enjoy your photo experience!

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberThu 08-Mar-01 02:03 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: coolpix 990 batteries"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

I recommend that anyone who is interested in NiMH batteries look at this website:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

These folks offer excellent service in my experience.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

beverett Basic MemberThu 08-Mar-01 08:13 PM
477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: coolpix 990 batteries"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for the post.
Have you used the new PowerX batteries? Do they actually hold a charge longer than other NiMH batteries?

I believe I recall reading an earlier post of yours where you said you had a Coolpix 990,too. Is that correct and am I right about the very heavy use of batteries in the camera?

I like the camera for a lot of reasons although I do not consider it easy to use especially outside when the LCD becomes virtually useless. But, had I to do it over again, I might have waited until the D-1 became more affordable. On the other hand, the pictures are remarkably good and it is fun to get the immediate feedback.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 09-Mar-01 02:41 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: coolpix 990 batteries"
In response to Reply # 4

Salt Lake City, US

The PowerX batteries are new to me as well. I know the newest NiMH batteries have increased capacity, but I'll have to look into a longer charge life.

I keep a dozen NiMH batteries for the CP990. If you're just snapshooting, you can probable get quite a few images per set of batteries. However, I often have to spend some time setting up a shot and the LCD time really eats up the power. For studio style work (mostly what I do with this camera) I recommend an AC adapter. I've had no problems with the Digipower unit that costs half of Nikon's.

I have a like/hate relationship with the 990. It's really a very good digital camera with quite a bit of flexibility. If you don't push it out of A-REC mode much, it's fun and responsive to use. Unfortunately, I find using the advanced features to be slow and clunky since most require menu navigation.

The immediacy of digital saves me a lot of time doing product shots etc. for my graphic design work. I can do much better lighting set-ups than with my 35mm gear alone since the preview serves as a "polaroid" for my shots.

I agree that the LCD is useless outdoors. A sunshade helps and there's a bulky viewfinder/eyepiece that is available from an aftermarket company, but neither is really a desireable solution. I certainly look forward to a digital SLR and the 990 will tide me over until the price/performance makes sense for me. I'm current guessing a two year wait unless I happened across a screaming deal on a clean used D1 after the D1X & H are out. The digital camera I will "love" will have a full frame imaging chip and at least 6 megapixel resolution.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

blackhawk777 Basic MemberMon 30-Jul-01 07:12 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "Coolpix 990 rules supreme!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey there,

I hope this will end up in the right place. I just bought a CP 990 last week and i'm completely in love with it! I am continually baffled by the crispness of the images in both 'normal' and 'macro' mode. I am still coming to grips with the machine, but it is a real treat to take it out and go 'shoot'. Hopefully in the near future i will endeavour to share some images with you all.

Greetings,

blackhawk

blackhawk777 Basic MemberMon 30-Jul-01 07:21 PM
#7. "RE: coolpix 990 batteries"
In response to Reply # 0

>Having just purchased a cp990, how
>long do other members charge
>their batteries for, the package
>the batteries came in recommended
>14 hrs but I am
>confused if this was initially
>or every time you charge
>them , all your views
>would be most helpful

I'm sorry about the mixup but i posted the first message in the wrong place, sorry fer that!

As far as my battery usage is concerned: i can run a whole day (+/- 150 pictures with review, and the lcd screen on all the time) on one set of 1600 mAh nimh's. The camera is set on auto off in 1 minute. I let it go 'dead' in this way so i only have to press the shutter release to 'wake it up'.

Every day before i go to sleep i put the batteries in the charger, so i always have a fully topped up set of batteries when i leave home. Nimh's don't get 'lazy', (or at least not comparable to nicd's), so you can top them up whenever you feel like it. For me, overnight is the best time, because i'm doing nothing anyway and i want freshly loaded batteries when i start the day.

I hope this is of some help for you. Enjoy this superb camera, i am wildly enthusiastic about it, i hope you will feel the same!!

greetings,

blackhawk

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberMon 30-Jul-01 10:05 PM
#8. "RE: coolpix 990 batteries"
In response to Reply # 7

Salt Lake City, US

I'm curious about you getting 150 pictures with the LCD on. What capture mode are you using? I don't bother with anything below "fine" resolution and I don't get nearly that many shots. I'm sure it could be that I'm slower to setup and take a shot. I wouldn't go anywhere with the 990 without a fully charged spare set of batteries.

I envy your enthusiasm for the camera. I look forward to seeing some of your images...

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

blackhawk777 Basic MemberTue 31-Jul-01 04:27 PM
#9. "RE: coolpix 990 batteries"
In response to Reply # 8

BJ,

I always shoot in the 2048x1360 (3:2 mode)in Fine resolution, but i shoot in 'bursts'.
If i see a subject i like i shoot lots of photographs and sort them out later. I'm not a professional photographer, i do put time in the lighting and composition of a picture though, but being in the 'pristine' phase with this camera, i just fire a lot and do comparative tests and so on to get to know the machine.
I do not take a lot of time to set shots up, and especially with my 2 and 5 year old kids it's a matter of working faster than lightning just to keep track of them
I'm curious, why do you 'envy' my enthousiasm? Aren't you enthusiastic about the CP 990?

greetings,

blackhawk

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 31-Jul-01 04:40 PM
#10. "RE: coolpix 990 batteries"
In response to Reply # 9

Salt Lake City, US

I was enthusiastic about the camera for about a week. I've had it for over a year now and I'm now all too familiar with the annoyances and limitations of the camera. Fortunately, I have my Nikon 35mm SLR system to use most of the time. A slide scanner is the source of most of my digital images.

There are many people who love their Coopix cameras and you're in good company. To me, it's a good digital camera compared to the other choices out there, but it's not much of a camera compared to what I use for 35mm shooting.

Best,

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #140 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.