Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #123
View in linear mode

Subject: "Older ext flash for CP995" Previous topic | Next topic
heatload Basic MemberFri 31-Aug-01 02:50 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Older ext flash for CP995"

I am aware of what Nikon brand ext flashes which Nikon officially approves (SB22s, SB28, SB50, etc). However, I have heard of people having some success with using other Nikon brand flash models with their CP995. I have the SB-15, has anyone had any success using this Nikon flash (SB-15) as an ext flash for their CP995? (success = nothing breaks & proper exposures). Thank you!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSun 02-Sep-01 04:08 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Older ext flash for CP995"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

I can't offer you first hand advice with other flashes (I use an SB-22s and SB-28), but you should be able to use any flash with Nikon contacts externally with the Coolpix.

You'll get the best results with a Nikon TTL compatible flash (that includes Nikon specific aftermarket flashes). Proper exposures with a Coolpix can sometimes be difficult to get even with the two flashes I own (sorry to say). The TTL sensor next to the lens is blocked by any accessory you screw into the front threads.

I often switch from TTL to flash-controlled auto or even manual flash. You will get more pleasing TTL flash results if you select slow-sync whenever possible. In slow sync mode, you can control exposure compensation via the main exposure controls. Otherwise, your only override is via the flash compensation menu settings.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

DWM55 Basic MemberMon 01-Apr-02 12:27 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Older ext flash for CP995"
In response to Reply # 0

Belleville, US

I've successfully used a Vivitar 283 with the 995, though I haven't used it a great deal. The guy at the camera store told me it wouldn't work, but I couldn't see how it wouldn't.

The 995's pop-up flash has to be up and will still fire when I picture is taken. I had to fool with the Vivitar's settings a little to get a proper exposure. After getting it to work, I found a Nikon SB-24 on eBay for a good price, which is what I use now.

Dave Masters
Belleville, IL

Dave Masters

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #123 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.