Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #117
View in linear mode

Subject: "New Coolpix 5000" Previous topic | Next topic
michael1597 Sun 23-Sep-01 07:24 AM

"New Coolpix 5000"

Well the news is out all over the place, except here of course.
One of the things I will like is being able to use the SB23. This is a small squat flash unit that many people have and use because it is so handy. On a cp5000, this will provide fairly good flash coverage and will not affect handling. I do not know if it will provide TTL flash, but as this unit provides no auto mode except TTL and manual ( it cannot default to basic autoflash) it appears it can.

Michael

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New Coolpix 5000
jrp Administrator
23rd Sep 2001
michael1597
23rd Sep 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
24th Sep 2001
michael1597
25th Sep 2001
OmegaX25
24th Sep 2001

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 23-Sep-01 03:24 PM
34854 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New Coolpix 5000"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

The new Coolpix 5000 5.24 Megapixel CCD produces high definition 2,560 x 1,920 pixel images.
It has a new 3x Zoom-Nikkor lens with enhanced wide angle 28-85mm coverage (expected to be incredibly sharp, producing crisp images) plus a stepless 4x Digital Zoom.
A new and exclusive 256-segment Matrix Metering; but you can still choose Center-Weighted, Spot, or Spot AF Area Metering. Works in conjunction with TTL White Balance to provide incredible exposure and color balance.
This recently released camera has a fully articulating, 270°, 1.8" LCD monitor that swivels in any direction for easy subject framing even in crowded situations.
Stop action with top shutter speed of 1/4,000 second and 3-frames-per-second shooting, up to 3 frames or 1.5 frames per second, up to 8 frames.
White Balance Bracketing and Noise Reduction Mode for better color balance and removal of digital artifacts in 1/4 second or longer exposures.
The Clear Image Mode should turn out highly accurate color, low noise, smooth edged and wide dynamic-range images at resolutions of 1280 x 960 and below.
Built-in hot shoe for greater versatility in the use of flash with the capability of connecting up to five Nikon Speedlights with additional accessories.
It is compatible with CompactFlash(TM) Card Types I and II for enhanced media versatility.
The Coolpix 5000 includes a 32MB CompactFlash(TM) Card.
High Speed USB Connectivity for plug and play simplicity.
It accepts almost all optional Coolpix lenses (using an optional step-down ring) and accessories including Fisheye, 19mm Wide Angle (Coolpix 5000 ONLY), and Telephoto converter lenses for the greatest expandability and versatility in any shooting situation.
I am certain some Nikonian will fall for it and report back.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

michael1597 Sun 23-Sep-01 08:04 PM

#2. "RE: New Coolpix 5000"
In response to Reply # 1

LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-01 AT 09:04 PM (GMT)

Thanks JRP, I think it is going to be a classic Nikon. It's got that sort of a look about it.

Michael

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberMon 24-Sep-01 04:49 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New Coolpix 5000"
In response to Reply # 2

Salt Lake City, US

Actually, I think the product designers were watching too many Batman movies, but some people love the look.

The camera specs look pretty good and doing away with the split body allows the camera to have a basic hotshoe (finally) and probably a better lens. It's not enough camera to attract me from my Coolpix 990. My next digital camera won't be an expensive point and shoot - it will have to use my Nikkor SLR lenses.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

michael1597 Tue 25-Sep-01 07:20 PM

#5. "RE: New Coolpix 5000"
In response to Reply # 3

>Actually, I think the product designers
>were watching too many Batman
>movies, but some people love
>the look.

Try Darth Vadar or Dracula movies and then have a look at the Canon 1D (D1?). SCARES the hell out of me.

>
>The camera specs look pretty good
>and doing away with the
>split body allows the camera
>to have a basic hotshoe
>(finally) and probably a better
>lens. It's not enough camera
>to attract me from my
>Coolpix 990. My next digital
>camera won't be an expensive
>point and shoot - it
>will have to use my
>Nikkor SLR lenses.
>
>BJ

Well having an SLR would be wonderful, all those options to explore. Unfortunately, my exposure to some of these wonder devices has been limited, but it does appear that everyone is raving about the D1H at the moment for its smoothness and great colour at high ISOs, now that's worth seriously considering. However I cannot spend that amount of money, and more without making a full commitment to the medium, and so, for now a cp5000 looks like just the thing with its funky (dark)looks, great pixel rating and Nikon's promise of something special in the quality dept.

Unfortunately I still use the old 950 and it does not help when people still keep posting great images taken with it.

Michael

OmegaX25 Basic MemberMon 24-Sep-01 05:39 PM
177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: New Coolpix 5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Huntersville, US

Here's links to more details about the new CoolPix 5000

http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_product/product.jsp?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25501

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0109/01091802nikoncp5000.asp

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/nikon5000.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C5000/C5A.HTM

I WANT ONE!!!

-----
Pete Teoh
http://teoh.us

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #117 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.