Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #11025
View in linear mode

Subject: "YOUR opinion needed about the Nikon COOLPIX A, please!" Previous topic | Next topic
DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberMon 15-Jul-13 08:15 PM
5953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"YOUR opinion needed about the Nikon COOLPIX A, please!"
Mon 15-Jul-13 08:23 PM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

Do you believe the Nikon COOLPIX A will be a successful camera?

Do you currently own a COOLPIX A?

Would you ever consider buying a COOLPIX A?

If Nikon dropped the price to, let's say, US$700, would you consider owning it at the lower price?

What do you like and dislike about the camera?

I have to make a decision this week about the direction of my upcoming book and I truly need your input.

Digital Darrell

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: YOUR opinion needed about the Nikon COOLPIX A, plea...
Larry E30 Silver Member
16th Jul 2013
cnphoto
14th Aug 2013
Broadway Bob Gold Member
14th Aug 2013
DigitalDarrell Team Member
24th Aug 2013
FFN Platinum Member
25th Sep 2013
Howker Silver Member
26th Sep 2013

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Tue 16-Jul-13 02:09 PM
2433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: YOUR opinion needed about the Nikon COOLPIX A, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I bet I'd love the camera,yes I sure would consider it.

But , most important is you;what will best/most serve you.

Yes - I hope anyone who owns one gets back to you.

It sounds quite spendy....but you know if this is better than the options /see to your options.

Happy day ,and best of luck , Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cnphoto Registered since 14th Aug 2013Wed 14-Aug-13 09:51 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: YOUR opinion needed about the Nikon COOLPIX A, please!"
In response to Reply # 1

Sydney, AU

I love my Coolpix A, so much so that I sold all of my other gear. This is the perfect camera for me, after moving from digital to film solely 4-5 years ago, I fell in love with compact point & shoot film cameras (Ricoh GR, Contax T2, Olympus XA etc) after getting a DSLR last year and getting back in to digital I was never really happy then the A came out & I bit the bullet in early April & haven't looked back.

Here are some recent flicks:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/c275f95f74941f64f6ad6b417d9cd40c/tumblr_mqt0oc0rR51qbxd4po2_r1_1280.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/90698867dae850ee14ab729171b73b8a/tumblr_mqjrkmdJz81qbxd4po1_1280.jpg
http://31.media.tumblr.com/b3f641f37ccbfc02b2989c1e3abe41fe/tumblr_mp99m6kO1E1qbxd4po1_1280.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/b850c4637dca01688f635ac41e85778c/tumblr_mozzdu5kJb1qbxd4po6_1280.jpg
http://31.media.tumblr.com/06e0d002dd40153f755d6971272bac1e/tumblr_molapsKS6a1qbxd4po1_1280.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/1f8cedada0e4e913cd293c16fd35bac4/tumblr_mn2za4OtyD1qbxd4po1_1280.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/942637e0db53fd239bef1f84f120bbbc/tumblr_mmwdrwQ89H1qbxd4po1_1280.jpg
http://31.media.tumblr.com/4c2eaa3f32a6d3c3a278a99bbce7e21b/tumblr_molamv4tRd1qbxd4po2_1280.jpg

Sorry for the huge photo post, I am just really enamoured with this little camera.

Broadway Bob Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 14-Aug-13 10:18 AM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: YOUR opinion needed about the Nikon COOLPIX A, please!"
In response to Reply # 2

Groveland, US

Darrell,
I think this is a good camera, but I think it's a little pricey. At $700 - $800, I would buy one today. I'm also wondering if I would get used to having no viewfinder. I currently have a D700 and D300s and am looking for a nice "walk-around+".

Bob

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberSat 24-Aug-13 05:10 PM
5953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: YOUR opinion needed about the Nikon COOLPIX A, please!"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 24-Aug-13 05:11 PM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

Craig, Those are beautiful and motivating shots. I love my COOLPIX A too. I take it with me everywhere.

Bob, I do wish that Nikon would lower the price to about $699. Then more people could experience that succulent D7000 sensor in a tiny, body that'll fit in a pocket.

Digital Darrell

FFN Platinum Member Charter MemberWed 25-Sep-13 10:35 PM
1117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: YOUR opinion needed about the Nikon COOLPIX A, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hudson, US

Answers to your questions above:

1) Successful camera? That depends on Nikon marketing. It is good, even better than the RX1 for some situations. Clearly better for my purposes than the RX100. Better menu, better controls, no AA filter, uses my Speedlights, faster to focus.

2) Yes I own it, having sold an RX1 that failed.

3) Yes I may buy another for my wife.

4) Yes, $700 makes more sense.

5) Battery life could be better. But I carry a spare so it is not an issue.

Waiting for your book.

Visit MudbrookPhoto.Com.

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Thu 26-Sep-13 07:07 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: YOUR opinion needed about the Nikon COOLPIX A, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Redmond, US

When its around the same price as the Ricoh GR its a winner but until then the Ricoh wins. Its just better value. BTW I only have Nikon cameras, always have.
A further comment - I think we are at the start of an APS-C sensor revolution with camera makers seeing a market for enthusiasts who want a pocketable camera with this size of sensor. I mean why would I lug my D7100 around with he same sensor as the Coolpix A?
Wait until next year there will be a whole tranch of cameras with a zoom lens I bet.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #11025 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.