nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5973 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Sat 06-Jul-13 02:38 PM | edited Sat 06-Jul-13 04:12 PM by DigitalDarrell

I wanted to post some positive thoughts about the Nikon COOLPIX A. As a user of most all of Nikon's best DSLR offerings and some really fine lenses, I have some strong opinions about the COOLPIX A in comparison.

I have found that the Nikon COOLPIX A camera is one of the most enjoyable cameras I've ever owned. It is tiny, fast, well-built, and a foretaste of what is coming from Nikon a few miles down the road. In the future, as Nikon releases DX and FX format mirrorless interchangeable-lens compact (ILC) cameras, you can bet I will be first in line to own them and write about them. (Consider this a pre-order for all of them Brad Berger of www.berger-bros.com)

This COOLPIX A has restored the fun to my photography. Sure, it is not a camera for zooming in on details, with its non-zoom, wide-angle lens. However, as a pocket camera, with superior capabilities, it is a delight. It does have a closeup mode if you really want to zoom in by using sneaker zoom.

I would like to open a positive thread for this fine camera. Let's discuss it without resorting to "I'd never shoot with a camera that has no viewfinder" or "They lost me with that 28mm lens!" Sure, the camera has limitations and is quite expensive. However, in my opionion, the large sensor makes the cost bearable. The COOLPIX A was never intended to be a DSLR clone. Instead, it is a fully-adjustable P,S,A,M camera that one can easily carry daily in a shirt pocket or purse. It has even greater image quality than the Nikon D7000, using the same DX sensor with no AA (blur) filter.

Let's discuss the benefits of having a tiny Nikon pocket camera with DSLR image quality.

Here are a few sample images, soon to be followed by many more, as I shoot with the COOLPIX A next week in the Great Smoky Mountains:

(1982 World's Fair Sunsphere in Knoxville, TN USA: 1/320s at f/8, ISO 100, Aperture priority, Matrix meter, handheld, SD picture control, converted from NEF (RAW) to JPEG in Nikon Capture NX 2.)

(Informal Portrait: 1/100 sec @ f/2.8 (wide open), ISO 100, Aperture priority, Matrix Metering, popup fill flash, handheld, RAW converted to JPEG in Capture NX 2 vs. 2.4.3)

(Railway to Infinity: 1/200s @ f/11, ISO 100, aperture priority, matrix meter, Auto1 WB, handheld, at golden hour.)

(Scary Mansion: 1/50s at f/7.1, ISO 100, aperture priority, matrix meter, Auto1 WB, handheld, converted to B&W with red channel blowout in Photoshop using Channel Mixer.)

If you own a Nikon COOLPIX A, and have some sample images to show, why not post a few. People are unsure about this camera and we can help shed some light on their questions and concerns.

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."
==============================================

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?
Reply message YES! - Nikon COOLPIX A...Is worth owning!

G