Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10994
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?" Previous topic | Next topic
DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberSat 06-Jul-13 02:38 PM
5953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
Sat 06-Jul-13 04:12 PM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

I wanted to post some positive thoughts about the Nikon COOLPIX A. As a user of most all of Nikon's best DSLR offerings and some really fine lenses, I have some strong opinions about the COOLPIX A in comparison.

I have found that the Nikon COOLPIX A camera is one of the most enjoyable cameras I've ever owned. It is tiny, fast, well-built, and a foretaste of what is coming from Nikon a few miles down the road. In the future, as Nikon releases DX and FX format mirrorless interchangeable-lens compact (ILC) cameras, you can bet I will be first in line to own them and write about them. (Consider this a pre-order for all of them Brad Berger of www.berger-bros.com)

This COOLPIX A has restored the fun to my photography. Sure, it is not a camera for zooming in on details, with its non-zoom, wide-angle lens. However, as a pocket camera, with superior capabilities, it is a delight. It does have a closeup mode if you really want to zoom in by using sneaker zoom.

I would like to open a positive thread for this fine camera. Let's discuss it without resorting to "I'd never shoot with a camera that has no viewfinder" or "They lost me with that 28mm lens!" Sure, the camera has limitations and is quite expensive. However, in my opionion, the large sensor makes the cost bearable. The COOLPIX A was never intended to be a DSLR clone. Instead, it is a fully-adjustable P,S,A,M camera that one can easily carry daily in a shirt pocket or purse. It has even greater image quality than the Nikon D7000, using the same DX sensor with no AA (blur) filter.

Let's discuss the benefits of having a tiny Nikon pocket camera with DSLR image quality.

Here are a few sample images, soon to be followed by many more, as I shoot with the COOLPIX A next week in the Great Smoky Mountains:

(1982 World's Fair Sunsphere in Knoxville, TN USA: 1/320s at f/8, ISO 100, Aperture priority, Matrix meter, handheld, SD picture control, converted from NEF (RAW) to JPEG in Nikon Capture NX 2.)

(Informal Portrait: 1/100 sec @ f/2.8 (wide open), ISO 100, Aperture priority, Matrix Metering, popup fill flash, handheld, RAW converted to JPEG in Capture NX 2 vs. 2.4.3)

(Railway to Infinity: 1/200s @ f/11, ISO 100, aperture priority, matrix meter, Auto1 WB, handheld, at golden hour.)

(Scary Mansion: 1/50s at f/7.1, ISO 100, aperture priority, matrix meter, Auto1 WB, handheld, converted to B&W with red channel blowout in Photoshop using Channel Mixer.)

If you own a Nikon COOLPIX A, and have some sample images to show, why not post a few. People are unsure about this camera and we can help shed some light on their questions and concerns.

Digital Darrell

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?
DigitalDarrell Team Member
06th Jul 2013
Lolrogge Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
07th Jul 2013
gpoole Platinum Member
07th Jul 2013
08th Jul 2013
blatgun Gold Member
10th Jul 2013
08th Jul 2013
08th Jul 2013
10th Jul 2013
09th Jul 2013
James23p Moderator
10th Jul 2013
hou2000 Gold Member
10th Jul 2013
10th Jul 2013
14th Jul 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
16th Jul 2013
jhearl Silver Member
10th Jul 2013
ajkennekam
10th Jul 2013
hrichard Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
hrichard Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
hrichard Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
mjhach Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
23rd Jul 2013
24th Jul 2013
Benkoop Silver Member
29th Jul 2013
Johnhw
30th Jul 2013
24th Aug 2013
Reply message YES! - Nikon COOLPIX A...Is worth owning!
FFN Platinum Member
25th Sep 2013
wolffjw Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
04th Oct 2013
wolffjw Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
04th Oct 2013
Just Clickin Gold Member
15th Sep 2014
hidesert Silver Member
16th Sep 2014

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberSat 06-Jul-13 04:29 PM
5953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Here is a sample of the miniature effect from the Retouch Menu of the Nikon COOLPIX A:

Digital Darrell

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Sun 07-Jul-13 05:06 PM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 1

Ayden, US

I looked at the Coolpix A, but did not buy one. The viewfinder and fixed lens are not major problems. I frequently take a DSLR with only a 28mm lens, and that works well.
I am an old fixed lens rangefinder fan, so I like to see cameras of this type. My problem, and the reason I have not bought one is simply the cost. I am not sure how successful it will be at the current price.

Laverne

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberSun 07-Jul-13 08:05 PM
#3. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 07-Jul-13 08:20 PM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

I need to discuss the relative interest my Nikonian friends have for the Nikon COOLPIX A camera. I have committed to writing a book on the camera and invested in one for the process.

However, it seems I am unable to generate much interest when talking about the camera. I would appreciate your exact thoughts about the Nikon COOLPIX A camera, negative or positive, please!

The COOLPIX A costs US$1099 and has a fixed 18.5mm lens (28mm equivalent). It is all metal and has the same DX sensor as the Nikon D7000 except no AA (blur) filter, so it is sharper. It will fit in a front shirt pocket or small purse and provides DSLR quality images.

Digital Darrell

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sun 07-Jul-13 08:20 PM
3705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 3

Farmington Hills, US

DD

In the latest Photo Professors podcast (#15) Rick Paul gives his impressions of the COOLPIX A.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberMon 08-Jul-13 05:49 AM
#6. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

Thank you, Gary. Rick seems to like the camera. I do too!

Digital Darrell

blatgun Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Wed 10-Jul-13 07:26 AM
572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 3

Ollon VD, CH

The idea and th direction is realistic, but not for such a (tOOOOOO) hight price. With the viewfinder included my be?
Pierre
Nikonian from Switzerland

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberMon 08-Jul-13 05:48 AM
#5. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Does anyone here on the forums even own a Nikon COOLPIX A? What do you think of the camera's concept? Are you considering buying one?

Digital Darrell

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberMon 08-Jul-13 10:52 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 09-Jul-13 05:24 PM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

I like to let the images speak for me instead of expending many words:

(Glenmore Mansion: 1/200s at f/8, ISO 100, Aperture priority, Matrix metering, SD Picture Control, handheld, converted from NEF to JPEG in Nikon Capture NX 2)

Now, here is a similar image, except that I took some time to correct this image for submission to a stock agency. I am going to test an agency or two to see if they will accept images from the COOLPIX A. If they will, that means money in my pocket from carrying a camera in my pocket.

(Glenmore mansion: 1/250s @f/8, ISO 100, Aperture priority, Matrix meter, handheld, NL Picture Control, postprocessed from RAW to JPEG in Nikon Capture NX2)

Digital Darrell

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberWed 10-Jul-13 01:26 PM
#14. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed 10-Jul-13 01:28 PM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

I am happy to announce that Alamy.com accepted the postprocessed Glenmore Mansion image as a RM stock image this morning, and it is now available for commercial licensing.

I am quite gratified to know that the image quality from this camera is sufficient that a traditional stock agency will accept its images for commercial use.

Digital Darrell

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberTue 09-Jul-13 03:03 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Here is a test of the closeup mode on the Nikon COOLPIX A. I took this picture, handheld, at near the closest position. I appreciate the creme-cheesy bokeh evident in this image. This proves the camera has a superior lens:

(Specs: 1/200s at f/8, ISO 100, Aperture priority, Matrix metering, direct conversion from RAW to JPEG in Photoshop CS6, having no modifications, with minor 1 pixel radius sharpening at 10 on the slider.)

Digital Darrell

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 10-Jul-13 06:30 AM
9742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 8

Memphis, US

This is such an interesting camera there seems to be so much to love but a few things hold me back. One the cost its pretty high for a point and shoot but the IQ is not P&S from what I have seen. Next is the lens it is very restrictive, I was thinking the other night I would have loved a lens that was a 28-35-50-85 f2.8 step type lens not a true zoom more like having 4 primes in one.

I would love to try one out for a week before I would buy one. This would be a large purchase for a point and shoot but dispite all my misgivings this camera seems to be calling me.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

hou2000 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jun 2004Wed 10-Jul-13 09:38 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 9

Neuchatel, CH

I really like the idea of a fixed lens ideally suited to the sensor. Ideas carried forth by Sigma with their DPx series cameras and the Ricoh GXR camera. It just needs a subtle change in philosophy from using interchangeable lenses on the same camera body and sensor from just using a different camera body and/or sensor optimally matched to the lens. This works for the shorther focal lengths but obviously falls down with the longer telephoto lenses. With the smaller sizes of these new fixed lens cameras, this is ideal for street photography and for those of us that want to carry something lighter without compromising IQ.

Having said all that. I had a serious look at the Coolpix A being a Nikonian of old and..... bought a Ricoh GR!! Both cameras are superb but the Coolpix fell down on price. C'est la vie.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberWed 10-Jul-13 03:14 PM
#15. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 10-Jul-13 03:15 PM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

I've been testing this camera for "stockworthiness" by submitting images to two stock agencies. Not only was the previously displayed Glenmore mansion image accepted into Alamy.com, but just now, the pink Garden Phlox flower image (above) was accepted into iStockPhoto.com.

I am quite happy that my tiny COOLPIX A is now officially making money for me! Imagine being able to carry a tiny, stockworthy camera in your shirt pocket!

Digital Darrell

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberSun 14-Jul-13 04:54 AM
#20. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 15-Jul-13 02:54 AM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

I just did a test to see how the camera would perform as a night shooter. What better test than taking a picture of 15.3 billion year old light.

(Night Sky: 15 seconds at f/2.8, ISO 800, Manual exposure)

(Night Sky #2: 25 seconds at f/4, ISO 1600, Manual exposure)

Digital Darrell

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 16-Jul-13 06:15 AM
3472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 20
Tue 16-Jul-13 06:16 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Hi Darrell. I have a V1 and it's a fine camera, however for sheer portability I am looking for something with an articulated screen and the Coolpix A does does not have that feature. I want the variable position screen as I want to use it as a candid street camera where eye contact is kept to a minimum as well as a highly portable backup to my D7100 and D800.

I want to buy Nikon and if the "A" gave me the facility to do this all well and good, but I think the P7700 is a more flexible camera overall. I appreciate that I am not comparing the cameras on a level playing field, but I am very surprised that Nikon left this facility out as I think they missed a trick.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

jhearl Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Apr 2007Wed 10-Jul-13 12:54 PM
463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, VA, US

I've owned a Fuji X100 for some time now. I use it primarily for street photography. I looked at the X100s when it came out and decided it wasn't enough of an upgrade to be worth the price to me. I also took a close look at the Coolpix A and that only confirmed how happy I am with the X100. A few points:

1) I love having an aperture ring on the lens and the shutter speed dial on top of the camera.
2) I have never used a scene mode and have no use for them.
3) The X100 is practically silent when taking a photo. I don't know whether the Coolpix makes noise or not, but I very much like how quiet the Fuji is.
4) Image quality of the Fuji is outstanding, even at high ISOs. I regularly take mine to 3200.
5) Minor point for my uses, but the Fuji has an f2.0 lens
6) I prefer the 35mm focal length over 28.
7) The Fuji has both an OVF and EVF built in. The add-on finder for the Coolpix seems unwieldy - I imagine I'd have to remove it every time I put the camera in my pocket - and it seems horribly overpriced.
8) One point in favor of the Coolpix is that it doesn't need a lens cap. I sometimes forget to take mine off before shooting though, normally, when I'm out shooting, I don't have it on anyway.
9) I read in one review that there's no way to zoom into a 100% view and scroll around when reviewing images on the Coolpix. Not sure if that's true, but it would be missed if it is.
10) The flash on the Fuji works surprisingly well as a fill.

If I needed to replace my X100 today, I'd go with an X100s, not the Coolpix. No contest for me.

Cheers -
John

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dancingtuna

ajkennekam Registered since 10th Apr 2013Wed 10-Jul-13 01:12 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 0

ZA

Looks really nice.

But...I already have a Fuji X100s that does pretty much what I need. I would like the 28mm of the 'A lens, but the lack of an integrated viewfinder is a deal breaker for me.

The 'A has a lot going for it. Nikon interface, being able to use my Nikon flashes and the image quality. But by the sounds of it the AF on my Fuji is faster...

Perhaps if it came out before the X100 I might have considered it.

hrichard Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2006Thu 11-Jul-13 10:36 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 13

Clarksville, US

I have been using the Coolpix A as a walk around camera and as a second camera. I am quite pleased with its performance. Its size is truly stunningly small. The quality of the pictures speaks for the camera. The price is up there, but...

hrichard Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2006Thu 11-Jul-13 10:49 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 16

Clarksville, US

The above is straight out of the camera raw. This is with a few seconds of Lightroom.

H

hrichard Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2006Thu 11-Jul-13 10:55 PM
#18. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 17

Clarksville, US

And now the real Lightroom adjusted file...

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Fri 12-Jul-13 01:36 AM
495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 0

Simcoe, CA

HOw would you or members rate the Nikon V1 or N1 compared to say the Fujifilm x???. These Fuji's are used by Dan Bailey and he swears by them. Being a Nikon afficianado, I would like to stay with Nikon for a pocket camera, something more discreet and lighter than the D7000. I have a D7000 and I bought my wife the Coolpix 120. I really don't like the images of this Coolpix if I enlarge them to any degree. The colours seem to get smeared?? Comments

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 23-Jul-13 06:58 PM
402 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

For those interested in -- or considering -- the Coolpix A, Tony Sweet has been shooting one this summer (alongside his D800 and iPhone!) and blogging his impressions. Take a look at his blog posts (http://tonysweet.com/category/cool-pix-a/) for example images and his impressions.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberWed 24-Jul-13 11:56 PM
#23. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 22

Knoxville, US

I thought Tony's comment was especially interesting, as follows:

"I decided to shoot primarily the Nikon CoolPix A, which is my new favorite toy these days. Now, with a RRS L-bracket, tripod, cable release, and a 16.2mp CMOS sensor, the incredible image quality is now shining through."

Digital Darrell

Benkoop Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2009Mon 29-Jul-13 04:52 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 23

Amsterdam, NL

>Now, with a RRS L-bracket,
>tripod, cable release, and a 16.2mp CMOS sensor, the
>incredible image quality is now shining through."

Small trouble to take my DSLR as well Darrell!

Johnhw Registered since 09th Jun 2009Tue 30-Jul-13 03:20 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 24

US

Darell,

i was interested in the A a bit...might still be. Please don't take this as a Fuji vs Nikon post or debate. i have used Nikons for years, but last year picked up a Fuji x pro and there is just something about it.

For me, it's about the experience (and that wonderful hybrid viewfinder)and when playing with the a it just felt....uninspiring for lack of a better word. i just wanted to pick up the Fuji again. Don't know how else to express it. Also, the jpegs are so good out of the fuji it saves time...and I am a busy guy, as I am sure you are.

By the way, I have followed you since WAAAYYYYY BBBACACKKKKK. And have purchased your books before.

Just my thought...and my best to you. Thanks for all the hard work.

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberSat 24-Aug-13 05:16 PM
#26. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I've been carrying my COOLPIX A literally everywhere I go. It weighs so much less than my D800, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8, and SB-900 flash, yet still takes high-res pictures.

It took me a little while to get used to a non-zoom 28mm lens, but now I am used to it and know what to expect. The A is definitely a breath of fresh air.

Digital Darrell

FFN Platinum Member Charter MemberWed 25-Sep-13 10:30 PM
1117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "YES! - Nikon COOLPIX A...Is worth owning!"
In response to Reply # 26
Wed 25-Sep-13 10:36 PM by FFN

Hudson, US

Darrell,

When my RX1 failed after a day-long shoot, losing all but 4 of over 100 images, I sold it and bought the Coolpix A. If you think it was the memory card, it wasn't. That same card has been working well for months in my Nikon cameras - tried it in the D800e, D7100, V1 and now the Coolpix A with NO problems. So for those who think $1K is too high for a fixed lens camera, think about how you would feel if your $3000 fixed lens camera dumped your photos, many of which were irreplaceable.

The RX1 lens was amazing, the menu system puzzling and difficult to use in fast working environments (especially for someone who has a D800 and D7100(. Battery life was miserable. Focus miserably slow. But losing the photos was too much.

An interesting comparison was the V1 and Coolpix A. The CPA seems to have more DR. Otherwise they produce similar results. Both cameras focus much faster than the RX1, the V1 by orders of magnitude and the CPA by at least twice as fast. The macro mode in the CPA works well and better than the RX1.

Sony colors were very nice and I really loved them. So I am working on my picture controls a bit. It is hard to decide which camera to take on an outing, the CPA or V1 when size is an issue. Since they are small, we have been taking both of them - using the V1 for faster action stuff.

Visit MudbrookPhoto.Com.

wolffjw Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2013Fri 04-Oct-13 02:06 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sharpes, US

I bought one of the first CoolPix cameras (Coolpix 5000) when it first came out about 2003 and hated it. It took fair pictures (5Mp), but overall the camera was difficult to use and completely unintuitive (is that a word)? Anyway, it was difficult to do things quickly and on the fly when traveling and sightseeing. It also had problems with the battery connections, and then finally, something internal broke. I would definitely not recommend it.

By comparison, I own a D3200 now and love it. Easy to use, fits good in my hands, intuitive, etc. I'm waiting now for either the D400 or D610 to come out and then I'll be happy.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 04-Oct-13 02:21 PM
3472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 28

Dyserth, GB

<<I'm waiting now for either the D400 or D610 to come out and then I'll be happy.>>

I would just be happy if Nikon would have a meeting, discuss their future strategy and decide where and in which direction they wish to travel! Perhaps they have too many meetings and get confused. Are they going forward with CSC, staying with a compact, abandoning SLR technology in favour of mirrorless or just blundering along like a ship who's lost its rudder. Of course they probably will travel along every route, the trouble is that may result in doing no one thing well. To be charitable to Nikon, others seem to be having the same dilemma. We are at the dawn of new camera opportunities, so hope they get their act together soon.

Cynical, yep I'm afraid so. Until then I'll just carry on enjoying my D800, D7100 and V1

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

wolffjw Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2013Fri 04-Oct-13 03:54 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 29

Sharpes, US

>I would just be happy if Nikon would have a meeting, discuss
>their future strategy and decide where and in which direction
>they wish to travel!

You and me both Richard... Just give us a direction and excel in that direction instead of keeping all of us wondering what is next and when.

Will they come out with the D610? - Rumor is they will announce it on Oct. 7.

Will they come out with the D400 as the flagship replacement for the D300s?

Weill they come out with the D7200 - Notice that they just dropped the price on it by $100. That's usually a precursor to an announcement on the next upgrade model.

Now my next question is which one to get? I do want the full frame sensor, but then lenses will cost me more. There is a good posting on here comparing the D610 to the D7100 that's probably worth reading, but in the end, ultimately it is still a split decision.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=435&topic_id=7077&prev_page=show_topic&gid=7077#7078

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 04-Oct-13 04:04 PM
#31. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 30

Dyserth, GB

I have the D7100 and what a superb camera it is too. One of those occasions when big things come in a small package. I like to have both a cropped sensor and full frame camera, so my D800 is principally for landscape and static photography, my D7100 is for some static, but for mostly for anything that moves. It's difficult to define what makes one camera more suitable than another, however the D7100 is probably the more flexible for me. As I have all FX lenses they work well on both.

I don't envy your decision, however getting back to the Coolpix A, if that camera had been brought out as a super V1 type CSC camera, there's a good bet that would be my direction now.

Richard

Just Clickin Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2009Mon 15-Sep-14 11:31 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 31

Pensacola, US

I bought a CP A specifically for my visit to NYC and Boston. Now I just love it and carry it everywhere. It is a perfect companion to my D800!

Tom Wilby

http://tomwilby.zenfolio.com/

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

hidesert Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2012Tue 16-Sep-14 02:12 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Nikon COOLPIX A...Is it worth owning?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lacey, US

The Coolpix A seems similar in concept to my old Rollei 35: high quality in a small package. I used my little Rollei all over the world and in addition it was a great backpacking camera.

I actually looked hard at the Coolpix A but the price was a dealbreaker. I ended up getting the Coolpix P340 and am quite happy with it. I'm still shooting film with my F6 but sometimes I want something small and unobtrusive in my pocket.

Allan

Nikon F6, F100, F4s, FM2N, D80, D7100

Rollei TLR's are my other passion!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10994 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.