Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10950
View in linear mode

Subject: "I have a coolpix quality question;" Previous topic | Next topic
Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Wed 08-May-13 03:12 AM
2128 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I have a coolpix quality question;"
Wed 08-May-13 02:38 PM by Larry E30

US

Will my P520 have better image quality if I shoot on on 18MP ,rather than on 8MP ? Or is the the higher MP JUST important for larger blow ups.

I been shooting it on 8MP to match my Nikon 8400...and the 8400 completely,with no problem -BLOWS AWAY THE P520 ON IMAGE QUALITY.

You see - I'm NOT doing blow-ups...
I do email stuff,and mainly just slideshows with music.

??????????????????????

Larry(and I'm using a converter on my 8400 !)

Add note ; I went back and checked...on setting up the camera ; I set it to 'fine',rather than 'normal' ...I see that says IMAGE QUALITY.

But still if anyone knows -is there something about using camera on 18MP that will increase clearity/sharpness ?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

grnzbra Registered since 28th Sep 2011Tue 25-Jun-13 06:24 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I have a coolpix quality question;"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 27-Jun-13 03:25 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

The day may come when...

Don't know how easy or difficult it is to switch modes between 8 and 18. However, the day may come when you look at a pic and wish you could really crop it.

When my dog was a pup, he went into a lake and when he came out, he stood with his hind legs in the lake and his front legs on a rock and looked quite regal. Unfortunately, we only had time to grab a pic from where we were standing before he came out of the lake.

Looking at the pic, he was a relatively tiny portion and the lake was everything else. It was a picture of a lake with a dog in it. If we could have blown it up and cropped it, it would have been great. It would have been a picture of a dog in a lake. But it was a 5 megapixel camera and when the pic was blown up and cropped, it was worthless.

My suggestion is to shoot at the highest quality the camera has available. If you need to reduce the size of the file later, fine. You can always do that. If, however, you throw away the detail in the first place, you can't get it back.

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Sat 29-Jun-13 01:13 AM
2128 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I have a coolpix quality question;"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Sorry I'm late ,thank you C.
good advice.

When I was at the coast ... my friend was running my dog ...about a quarter mile away...

I had a Nikon D5000 with a 1.7x affront it...and gor t to GREATLY crop that shot to joy.

But this is Coolpix...

And believe it or not -
I been into old classic digital cameras !

I have a Coolpix 995 on the way and a Coolpix 5000 that I will most likely win on the bay.

I know what I mostly do;slideshows with music,maybe a computer print here and there...
but ,as you say ...if I want to go larger...

Generally - I set up cameras to do there best.

Happy day to all /Larry

grnzbra Registered since 28th Sep 2011Mon 01-Jul-13 03:46 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I have a coolpix quality question;"
In response to Reply # 2

Springfield, US

There are only two downsides that I can think of when using highest quality settings, both of which have to do with file size. If you have only one small memory card, you may find yourself limited to the number of pix when the shot of shots presents itself just after you've filled up your memory card.

Also, if, like me, you do a lot of continuous shooting, your buffer memory will fill up sooner and then you have to wait for the buffer to clear out (which will take longer because it has more to write) before you can continue firing 4 frames per second (or whatever the rate of continuous fire is for your camera).

If I found myself with this problem, I'd get a bigger, faster memory card (or two or three) rather than reduce the picture quality.

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Sun 07-Jul-13 11:01 PM
#4. "RE: I have a coolpix quality question;"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I have los of cards,and I shoot single,about never continuous.
Thanks for replys.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10950 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.