Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10924
View in linear mode

Subject: "waterproof cameras for snorkeling" Previous topic | Next topic
ACon Registered since 25th Dec 2009Tue 23-Apr-13 06:00 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"waterproof cameras for snorkeling"

US

Hi All,

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I have 4 days post-safari that will be spent near Mnemba reef on Zanzibar. I don't want to plop down big $$ for an underwater housing for a D4 or D800 as I am not a serious scuba diver. However, I do want to capture some high quality images while snorkeling each - mainly underwater of the family and the underwater life.

I am looking at the Coolpix AW110 and the Olympus TG-2. Does anyone have exerience with either of these, or both as a comparison? I am mainly interested in IQ and not so much in wiFI capability etc. Both do not shoot RAW, and both seem to go down to about 50 ft. The Oly TG-2 does have an f/2.0 lens and the ability to attach a fish-eye lens, both seem very appealing for my short-term needs. However, I have read a couple of places that the IQ on the Nikon may be better.

any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 23-Apr-13 08:22 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: waterproof cameras for snorkeling"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Check the depth for which the camera is water sealed. Many will fail at a pressure larger than 1 atmosphere, about 10 meters depth at sea level. This is to allow for falling into the water. At greater depths water may work its way into the camera.

The Nikon AW110:
Capacity to shoot pictures underwater up to a depth of 18 m (59 ft) and for 60 minutes

Repetitive dives may break the seals.

The underwater housings for dSLR/SLR are designed for greater depths and require regular cleaning, lubricating, and repairing to keep the seals properly. Also most divers check the housing for leaks before leaving the surface and while descending to see if any air leaks out. The extra space allows for control arms, buoyancy, and a small safety margin when a leak develops.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ACon Registered since 25th Dec 2009Tue 23-Apr-13 09:06 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: waterproof cameras for snorkeling"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Good points - I did consider that on each camera. For snorkeling, I think I will mainly be in the 5-20 ft depth range. Again, I wouldn't consider this diving, just shallow snorkeling.

Alex

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Tue 23-Apr-13 09:39 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: waterproof cameras for snorkeling"
In response to Reply # 2

Norwalk, US

The P7100 and a Fantasea housing are fairly inexpensive as a pair - certainly cheaper than a large DSLR housing.

delraypiper Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2013Wed 03-Jul-13 02:03 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: waterproof cameras for snorkeling"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 03-Jul-13 02:06 PM by delraypiper

Delray Beach, US

You may want to consider the Sealife cameras. The Reefmaster is self contained, rated to 200 ft, has macro mode, includes a wide angle lens. Check out their website http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/reefmaster

I have been diving with Sealife cameras for about 10 years and for the price, take great photos.

I also have an AW-100 which I use in my kayak. I would not consider using this for diving or snorkeling.

John D

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10924 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.