Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10916
View in linear mode

Subject: "P7000 file size" Previous topic | Next topic
kgb144 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2007Mon 22-Apr-13 09:27 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"P7000 file size"
Mon 22-Apr-13 09:28 PM by kgb144

Ayrshire, UK

I have a P7000 that I bought second hand to take when I don't want to carry a full slr rig.

I was downloading some files at the weekend and noticed the files were generally between 15mb and 16mb. As far as I am aware the P7000 is a 10mb camera, so can anyone explain the larger file sizes?

Great camera and it is a handy size with great functionality.

Kind regards,

ft

My Nikonians Gallery

Ayrshire, Scotland

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 22-Apr-13 09:55 PM
3333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: P7000 file size"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

It is a 10 MP (megapixel) camera. MB (megabytes) is file size.

Alan

kgb144 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2007Tue 23-Apr-13 03:08 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: P7000 file size"
In response to Reply # 1

Ayrshire, UK

>It is a 10 MP (megapixel) camera. MB (megabytes) is file
>size.

Alan thank you. Some times I even amaze myself at my own stupidity - pixels v bytes!

Thanks for the responses.

Kind regards,

ft

My Nikonians Gallery

Ayrshire, Scotland

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Tue 23-Apr-13 09:40 AM
1002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: P7000 file size"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi ft

Yes around 15Mb is correct (for raw since I only take raw files). If JPG is chosen then I believe smaller files are possible.

This size of file compares closely with my D200 raw files with "un-compressed" chosen ie. also an approx 10Mb sensor.

After an edit in either of the NX2 software this size increases by a further 4 - 5 Mb due to the "large" JPG file saved within the raw image after edit...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10916 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.