Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10908
View in linear mode

Subject: "Choosing an 'L' series model" Previous topic | Next topic
nemo2000 Registered since 02nd Apr 2013Thu 04-Apr-13 03:35 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Choosing an 'L' series model"

GB

For many years I have used an old Olympus: 2.1mpx, 3x zoom, uses 4xAA batteries, built like a tank and weighs the same

It's time to get a replacement that is better and more compact. Having looked at various 'compact' Coolpix models (S3300, 6300 etc), I decided eventually that I did not want it /too/ small and I prefer to use AA batteries, so I settled on the L-series.

I was thinking of the L26, now replaced by the L28. Apart from the increase from 16 to 20 mpx, I can see no obvious difference in the specifications. No reviews seem available yet to tell if the L38 is faster, or otherwise worth the extra cost apart from the increase in pixels (frankly, the 16mpx of the L26 seems good enough for a camera of this type). Anyone with any experience of it please? Would it be worth just buying a L26 if someone is selling off old stock cheap?

Then I came across the L610. Obvious advantages over the L28 in being 14x zoom rather than 5x and CMOS rather than CCD, seems faster too. Not as big as my old Olympus, but still perhaps rather larger than I was considering. Not sure about the battery life compared with the L28. Any thoughts on comparison between the L610 and L28 for someone who just wants 'one step up' from basic 'point and shoot'?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 11-Apr-13 04:25 PM
10575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Choosing an 'L' series model"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Spec wise, these cameras are close enough that casual use will not distinguish which would be better. For your money, get the newer version just because you have incremental improvements - the 610 uses lens shift VR (which is exactly how it works in DSLR land) versus Electronic (sensor) shift on the older model, for example.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10908 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.