Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10904
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coolpix L610 batteries" Previous topic | Next topic
nemo2000 Registered since 02nd Apr 2013Tue 02-Apr-13 08:35 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Coolpix L610 batteries"

GB

I am thinking of buying an L610, as a first-time Nikon user.

The L610 Reference Manual (as with other L-series) mentions alkaline, lithium and the Nikon EN-MH2 rechargeable batteries. There is NO mention about using other types of NiMH rechargeables (eg Energizer or Eneloop etc).

Is this just an effort by Nikon to sell their much more expensive NiMH batteries (when compared with other brands), or is there in fact a problem with using other brands in L-series cameras?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Wed 03-Apr-13 07:31 AM
994 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Coolpix L610 batteries"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi nemo,

In my opinion, yes I think it is a marketing effort. However, I should mention that I use only Nikon brand batteries in my cameras that take non-standard batteries as they seem to hold their charge a bit better and have a longer life than 3rd party copies.

This may well be the case with the EN-MH2 but I just use ordinary NiMH batteries in my wife's L series camera with no problems - just remember to "Select" the type of battery you use (see menus).

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nemo2000 Registered since 02nd Apr 2013Wed 03-Apr-13 06:49 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Coolpix L610 batteries"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Not yet having a camera, I'm only going by what the Ref manual says, but..... the 'battery type' menu option refers to Alkaline, Lithium and 'Coolpix NiMH'. I am assuming therefore that choosing the last of those will work regardless of the actually brand of NiMH battery.

I note that the Specifications in the Ref manual list 120 shots for alkaline batteries. This seems a little on the low side to me, when compared to (say) the L28 quoted at 280 shots?? Does the method of calculating such figures take account of motoring the lens in/out if the camera is turned off/on (say) every 2 or 3 shots?

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 11-Apr-13 04:30 PM
10574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Coolpix L610 batteries"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Battery life is usually estimated on nominal use - that is, keeping the camera on but relying upon internal settings to put certain battery-consuming functions to sleep during idle time - such as metering, rear LCD displays, control panel displays, etc.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10904 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.