Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10880
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coolpix A" Previous topic | Next topic
f11 Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2006Tue 05-Mar-13 05:13 PM
784 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Coolpix A"

Tulsa, US

How about that Coolpix A? Too early for me to form any opinion.
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-coolpix-a-black/4505-6501_7-35626828.html

Jim

My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Coolpix A
William Symonds
05th Mar 2013
sabre Silver Member
05th Mar 2013
drbrog Gold Member
05th Mar 2013
TomCurious
06th Mar 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
06th Mar 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
drbrog Gold Member
06th Mar 2013
sabre Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
Broadway Bob Gold Member
06th Mar 2013
sabre Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
drbrog Gold Member
07th Mar 2013
drbrog Gold Member
07th Mar 2013
hfrank Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
ajdooley Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
plankowner110 Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
Covey22 Moderator
13th Jun 2013
winedemonium
03rd Jul 2013
DigitalDarrell Team Member
05th Jul 2013
winedemonium
05th Jul 2013
DigitalDarrell Team Member
05th Jul 2013
loveandppeace
10th Jul 2013

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 05-Mar-13 06:00 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 05-Mar-13 06:04 PM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

Looks sweet to me... Will go head to head with the Fuji X100. The additional width may appeal to many. At last a Coolpix with NEF and a decent sized sensor.

Time will tell, I think it will be small compared to the X100 and less quirky, but the lack of a viewfinder may disappoint many Nikonians..

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

sabre Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2006Tue 05-Mar-13 06:48 PM
4581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Bedfordshire, GB

Typical of the Nikon small cameras of late. It's neither here, nor there.

It has some good technical features such as DX sensor, previous generation EXPEED2 processor, Active D-Lighting, RAW format. However...

It tries to look like a Canon S100, fails to have any of the retro charm of the Fuji X100, wants to have the appeal of the Sony RX100, but fails to provide a zoom. It has an optional *optical* viewfinder like an old time rangefinder, but that looks a little too much like an after-thought. It does not even have built-in GPS like its junior sibling the P330.

Technically, I am sure it will be decent - most Nikon cameras are - but it has come out of the same styling closet that brought us the bland J1, S1 and V1 designs. It is just a brick without a decent grip.

Nikon has totally missed an opportunity to use styling to capture imagination with this camera.

I dare say some Nikon fans will chant amazement at this latest Nikon compact, but personally I think it is going to struggle to compete in a busy premium compact market.

Cheers

Steve (Bedfordshire, England)
My Nikonians Gallery- please visit and leave a comment
A Nikon in the hand is worth two in the bag!

drbrog Gold Member Charter MemberTue 05-Mar-13 09:14 PM
870 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

It will be interesting to see how well it focuses as this has been big complaint of other high end point and shoot cameras. Similar to a Leica X2 but I think I might like the controls on the Leica more (exposure compensation, etc). I'm not sure how one changes shutter speed and aperture on this - I hope it it simple to adjust. Also no option for an EVF- that is unfortunate.
On the plus side, it is a Nikon and I'm sure IQ will be great. Also, for those who use Nikon Capture NX2, you won't have to change your workflow.

Anxious to hear feedback from users once it is released.

Jay Newmark
A Chicago Nikonian

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Wed 06-Mar-13 12:14 AM
2320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

Fixed prime lens with DX sensor in a small package is great, but they lost me when I read f/2.8. When they give their Coolpix B an f/2 lens, I'll take a look at it.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Wed 06-Mar-13 01:12 AM
4405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

El Segundo (Los Angeles), US

Hi Jim.

Really, a fixed lens camera with a 28mm lens for $1,000? If I didn't know better I would have thought it was a joke. What possible use is this camera?

JIM

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 06-Mar-13 02:26 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 5

Norwalk, US

When I'm wearing my dinner jacket, I can have it and it won't show.

drbrog Gold Member Charter MemberWed 06-Mar-13 02:27 AM
870 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 06-Mar-13 02:29 AM by drbrog

Chicago, US

Travel- for those times you don't want to carry a large DSLR or camera bag. Just pop this in your pocket and go. This camera should be great in the evening or low light venues such as cathedrals, restaurants. My P7000 didn't perform well when the ISO exceeded ~800. I would expect this to be much more forgiving in these situations.
I'd like to see an f2.0 but obviously there are technical limitations that prevent it. The Leica X2 has a 35 mm equivalent lens limited by f 2.8. Look at the Sony RX1- it has a 35mm f/2 lens but is considerably larger than the lens on the coolpix (yes the RX1 has a full frame sensor one would expect it to be larger).
This won't replace your DSLR, rather it should complement it.

Jay Newmark
A Chicago Nikonian

sabre Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 11:18 AM
4581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 7

Bedfordshire, GB

>This won't replace your DSLR, rather it should complement it.

True...

...but technically better, more stylish, less expensive cameras already exist out there to complement your DSLR. I can only see this camera as being a great addition for Nikon-only fans; i.e., people who would buy a shoe box pinhole camera for $1000 if it had the Nikon name on it.

Cheers

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 06-Mar-13 01:02 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 8

Norwalk, US

Or where because of the NEF files it fits into your existing workflow.

Broadway Bob Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 06-Mar-13 01:22 PM
84 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 9

Groveland, US

It would be more attractive at a $750 price point, but then it might be getting too close to the 7700. Also, 28mm is too wide for people shots if you get a little closer to your subject - the "huge nose" effect! I prefer a 35mm equiv. for a walk-around lens.

Bob

sabre Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 02:54 PM
#11. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 9

Bedfordshire, GB

>Or where because of the NEF files it fits into your existing
>workflow.

True. However, for many people that will not be such a big factor, because of multiple RAW format handling by programs such as Lightroom, and there is always DNG conversion for those who want their RAW files to be consistent. It's a fair point though.

Cheers

drbrog Gold Member Charter MemberThu 07-Mar-13 12:49 AM
#15. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 11

Chicago, US

"True. However, for many people that will not be such a big factor,"

Then this camera may not be for them.

Jay Newmark
A Chicago Nikonian

drbrog Gold Member Charter MemberThu 07-Mar-13 12:42 AM
#14. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 07-Mar-13 12:51 AM by drbrog

Chicago, US

"...but technically better, more stylish, less expensive cameras already exist out there to complement your DSLR. I can only see this camera as being a great addition for Nikon-only fans; i.e., people who would buy a shoe box pinhole camera for $1000 if it had the Nikon name on it.'

Last time I checked there were several manufacturers of DSLRs. Shocking to see that a company would actually sell a model similar to that of another brand, not to mention several different DSLRs.
Why should point and shoots or EVILs be any different?
And who says the competition is technically better? Unless you were beta testing preproduction models, I don't think you should make that claim.

And if a company feels they can make a buck selling a shoe box pinhole camera, I say go for it. Though I'm sure there will be a pinhead somewhere who will complain.

Cheers

Jay Newmark
A Chicago Nikonian

hfrank Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2004Wed 06-Mar-13 03:38 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, MI, United States, US

Harry Frank

Nikon's done it again: the photographic equivalent of GM introducing a new Corvette with a 4-cylinder engine. First the EVIL camera with a whopping, earth-shattering zoom that goes all the way to 135mm (Yippee!!) and now a thousand-dollar point-and-shoot with no zoom whatsoever. I sometimes think that Nikon's product decisions have all the wisdom and foresight of decisions made by the U.S. Congress.

ajdooley Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 09:59 PM
1738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Waterloo, US

I think Nikon took a D7000, stripped most of the features out of it, substituted a prime for an 18-105mm zoom in the kit version and is offering it for the same price. It's only plus appears to be that it fits in your pocket. Uh Uh. Not for me.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Thu 13-Jun-13 06:05 AM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 13

Ohio, US

The long-awaited upgrade to the Ti28?

Bill

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 13-Jun-13 01:18 PM
10629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nikon shot themselves in the foot again. Coolpix has become the black sheep of the family, ever since the Nikon 1 Series debuted. The Coolpix A should have had the same Phase Detect that the 1 has for starters. While one could argue that the A begets a "more thoughtful" kind of photography, it's price doesn't reflect any compelling features other than the sensor size.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

winedemonium Registered since 02nd Jul 2013Wed 03-Jul-13 03:44 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 17

HK

95% of people will buy the Ricoh GR from what I've read in reviews, etc. But I bought the Coolpix A today. I like the quality of it. I see it less as a 2nd cam to my D800, and more as a complement to film use - F3/F6, or rangefinder. It fits in my jeans pocket. X100S won't. Was a tough call between the A and the GR. Let's see how it goes.

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberFri 05-Jul-13 03:49 AM
5947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 05-Jul-13 05:09 AM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

I absolutely adore my tiny COOLPIX A. It fits in my shirt pocket and goes everywhere with me. The image quality is fantastic, fully DSLR quality. Extremely sharp! I could talk all night about the "A"; however, let me just post a couple of pictures instead, then you decide:

(Railway to Infinity: 1/200s @ f/11, ISO 100, aperture priority, matrix meter, Auto1 WB, handheld, at golden hour.)

(Informal Portrait: 1/100 sec @ f/2.8 (wide open), ISO 100, Aperture priority, Matrix Metering, popup fill flash, handheld, RAW converted to JPEG in Capture NX 2 vs. 2.4.3)

All I can say to naysayers is don't judge this little camera until you have actually used one. It is unexpectedly appealing with its fully metal body and substantial build. Feels like a tiny D800. The sensor is fantastic with no AA filter.

Remember how well the D7000 shoots? Well, the image quality from the COOLPIX A is better than the D7000. The prime lens is very optimized for the camera. IQ actually resembles what I get with my AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED lens. It is sharp as a tack wide open. Just check out the sharpness of the wide-open (f/2.8) portrait shot above, which is an 800 pixel cutout from the middle of the image. Good bokeh too!

It is easy to say a camera is useless until you find a use for it. I carry it literally EVERYWHERE with me now. It is extremely cool to have a camera that fits in my front shirt pocket, has IQ like a premium DSLR, and is built like a tiny tank. For commercial shooting, I use my D800 and pro lenses. For everything else, my COOLPIX A is always with me.

In a pinch, I would have no problems using images from this camera for commercial purposes, the quality is that good. This is not a DSLR, nor was it designed to be a DSLR. It's a fully controllable P,S,A,M pocket camera that can always be with you. Isn't it true that the camera you have with you is the one that gets the shot. Well, I'm not interested in carrying my D800 and AF-S Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 with me everywhere. That combo costs and weighs too much for constant use. However, I am carrying this extremely high IQ COOLPIX A in my front shirt pocket and taking some excellent images.

I plan on shooting a nature series this fall in the Great Smoky Mountains with my A, just to prove how incredible the image quality is. I am having a great deal of fun with this camera, and I am going to make it pay for itself too. Isn't the point of a quality camera the ability to take great pictures? There are clearly a few limitations due to camera size; however, the image quality makes up for it, big time! Many moons ago, I carried an teeny-weeny Olympus XA to get good 35mm transparencies with a camera that fits in my shirt pocket. Well, this is a genuine, well-built Nikon that fits in my pocket and makes no-excuses NEF and JPEG pictures.

Digital Darrell

winedemonium Registered since 02nd Jul 2013Fri 05-Jul-13 03:56 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 19

HK

Great picture! Glad you an enjoying your "A".

I'm enjoying learning to use mine. Relatively simple actually - I guess if you know Nikon menus, it is easy to navigate. I like the ability to set Auto-ISO range coupled with minimum shutter speed - the latter gives me confidence to set aperture priority knowing that the camera won't give me an unusable shutter speed. Usable ISO range seems pretty good.

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberFri 05-Jul-13 09:59 PM
5947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 20
Fri 05-Jul-13 10:05 PM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

>Great picture! Glad you an enjoying your "A".
>
>I'm enjoying learning to use mine. Relatively simple actually
>- I guess if you know Nikon menus, it is easy to navigate. I
>like the ability to set Auto-ISO range coupled with minimum
>shutter speed - the latter gives me confidence to set aperture
>priority knowing that the camera won't give me an unusable
>shutter speed. Usable ISO range seems pretty good.

Linden,

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about (the Auto ISO sensitivity control), the minimum shutter speed is only good until the camera cannot make a proper exposure with the highest ISO setting. Then, the camera will drop the shutter speed below the minimum speed you have selected. In other words, the minimum shutter speed is a rule that the camera can break when the maximum ISO will not give a good image. See page 84 of the camera user's manual.

Digital Darrell

loveandppeace Registered since 21st Feb 2012Wed 10-Jul-13 04:48 AM
#22. "RE: Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 20

Fairfield, US

I haven't read the posts to this forum because I can just imagine what people are saying, but, let's face it, the fixed lens compact with the large sensor is a new camera genre that many people are embracing. I have a D800, but I also own a Fuji X100, mainly for fun, but it's a terrific camera. Nikon would be foolish not to have an entry in this arena. I've been reading what people are saying about street cameras, and so far the street shooters seem pretty excited about the Nikon A, so it could be a hit. Anything that enhances Nikon's presence in the market is welcome.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10880 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.