Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10822
View in linear mode

Subject: "Determining shutter count on my P7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010Tue 01-Jan-13 01:10 PM
1125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Determining shutter count on my P7000?"

Morristown, US

How do I find out the number of actuations? I've tried the latest edition of Opanda but can't find it. I checked my D700 and it's listed but not on the 7000. Are there other ways to find it?

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Determining shutter count on my P7000?
SWIMR Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
James23p Moderator
02nd Jan 2013
jadiniz
17th Jan 2013
gkaiseril Gold Member
17th Jan 2013
Covey22 Moderator
18th Jan 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
13th Feb 2013

SWIMR Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2006Tue 01-Jan-13 08:34 PM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Determining shutter count on my P7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

For what it's worth, I started a thread about this question a number of months ago...I think it was last summer. At that time, the consensus was that there is no recording of shutter count available from the P7000 / 7100, and I've never found a workaround for this myself.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 02-Jan-13 04:22 AM
9636 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Determining shutter count on my P7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

I have never been able to find the shutter count on my P7000 and like you I tried Opanda with no luck.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Thu 17-Jan-13 01:38 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Determining shutter count on my P7000?"
In response to Reply # 2

Estoril, PT

If I'm not mistaken, these cameras may have an electronic shutter, thus rendering any counts insignificant. FWIW, I do all my timelapses and other non-critical fooling around and experiments with the P7100, to preserve my DSLR shutter life.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 17-Jan-13 08:08 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Determining shutter count on my P7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

Shutter counts were not available until electric shutters appeared in digital cameras.

Many of the Nikon dSLRs have a mechanical shutter and an electronic shutter, for shutter speeds greater than 1/1000 sec. Most of the dSLRs have a shutter count within the MakerNote. That shutter count includes Live View, and shutter opens for cleaning. The one exception that Nikon documents is the D1 and Nikon Service Centers have the necessary probe or clips to access that data from the D1's electronic shutter.

Most P&S do not record it in the EXIF, possibly by the manufacturers choice. There is a Canon hack program that can retrieve that data from some Canon Power Shot P&S cameras.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 18-Jan-13 03:06 PM
10673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Determining shutter count on my P7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Shutter counts were not available until electric shutters appeared in digital cameras.

Actually, shutter counts were available on select Nikon film cameras, but only for models that could be linked via MC33 cable to the now discontinued Photo Secretary software...yes, I'm showing my age.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=144&topic_id=14638&mesg_id=14642

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 13-Feb-13 03:58 AM
660 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Determining shutter count on my P7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

Norwalk, US

Older CCD DSLRs did this, but with CMOS sensors they only use the mechanical for stills, because of the 1/60th of a second rolling shutter issues on the CMOS sensors.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 13-Feb-13 04:00 AM
660 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Determining shutter count on my P7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

There is no mechanical shutter on the P7000/P7100, they use a CCD global shutter which requires no mechanical movement. The only thing moving when you take a picture is the aperture blades. This is also what allows the camera to happily sync a flash at full speed (or close to it).

One other advantage of this is that of course there's almost no mechanical vibration for slow-ish shutter speeds. Several older CCD-based DSLRs had this as well, the ones with 1/500th of a second flash sync speed.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10822 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.