Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10797
View in linear mode

Subject: "P500 owner/no experience besides point & click" Previous topic | Next topic
Bella53 Registered since 20th Nov 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 05:07 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"P500 owner/no experience besides point & click"

US

I am in the Kansas City area and need lessons in how to use a
basic slr/dslr camera.  I have a P500.  NOT what I want now
but still can't master it.  Any advice besides read the
manual?  I don't know what RAW is and I'm not afraid to say
it.  LOL

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 13-Feb-13 12:40 AM
656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: P500 owner/no experience besides point & click"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

This is a bit late, but I suppose better late than never.

The Nikon P500 is a point and shoot, the same as any other in many ways: it uses a small sensor and has an integrated lens. What it offers over a basic pocket one, however, is a huge zoom range (it's very nice, as you've probably realized by now) and manual control of the exposure.

There is no raw mode at all on the P500, so you don't need to worry about that for now, but for reference, a raw file takes the raw data straight from the sensor and doesn't process it, allowing the photographer to process it later. JPEG, which is all that yours will produce, is the finished photograph, with some data missing when it's compressed and written to your card. In short: working with raw is like working from a negative in a darkroom, where you can dodge and burn and adjust the photograph to your liking after the fact, while JPEG is like a Polaroid, where it's done when you remove it from the camera and you can only make very limited adjustments, if any, after the fact.

Fortunately though, you do have manual control on your camera - that is, you can adjust ISO, aperture and shutter speed manually. Any beginner photography book can instruct you on how to use your camera's manual modes creatively, as well as instructing you in composition.

likes2travel2 Registered since 02nd Apr 2013Wed 03-Apr-13 07:55 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: P500 owner/no experience besides point & click"
In response to Reply # 1

Campbellford, CA

Hi, Just noticed your post today and wanted to say I just bought a Nikon P510..and it appears to be great...gotta love the zoom...Check out the book Photographers Guide to the Nikon Coolpix P510 by Alexander White..I bought it from Amazon. It is a very interesting book using ABC language. I also bought a battery and car adapter for my camera..and now I am checkin out an Eye-Fi memory card. Enjoy...Carol Ann..

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10797 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.