Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10755
View in linear mode

Subject: "P7700 vs. Canon G15" Previous topic | Next topic
sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Mon 24-Sep-12 03:32 PM
862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"P7700 vs. Canon G15"

Santa Fe, US

Is anyone besides myself unhappy enough about the lack of an OVF on the P7700 to seriously consider the Canon G15 as an alternative?

Or am I unusual in using an OVF on a compact? (I use the one on my P7000 all the time I'm outside in sunlight - I simply can't see the LCD well enough under those conditions for it to be useful.)

The G15 also does RAW (but of course they can't be processed in CNX2. ) And the max F/2.8 is attractive, since the P7700 only gives me one extra stop over my P7000.

I don't mean this as an invitation to debate whether one needs an OVF - you either think you do or you don't, and it's unlikely that anything anyone says here will change your mind - but rather as an informal poll as to whether you'd consider the G15 over the P7700, particularly because the G15 has an OVF- although other reasons are fair game too.

SantaFeBill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15
cmolieri
24th Sep 2012
cliddell Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
28th Sep 2012
bobtail Silver Member
02nd Oct 2012
russg Silver Member
04th Oct 2012
Howker Silver Member
07th Oct 2012
russg Silver Member
07th Oct 2012
cliddell Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
ZoneV Silver Member
21st Oct 2012
Lumidapri
23rd Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
24th Nov 2012
ISO200
19th Dec 2012

cmolieri Basic MemberMon 24-Sep-12 03:47 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15"
In response to Reply # 0

Sun Lakes, AZ, US

I can't say whether I would get a G15 instead of a P7700, but...I am VERY glad I bought a P7100 last month and didn't wait for the P7700. Like you, for me a viewfinder is/was a major requirement in picking a P&S to use in those instances when a DSLR is just too much camera to lug around. Trying to use an LCD in bright sunlight is just too much of a struggle for me.

cmolieri

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Tue 25-Sep-12 09:50 AM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 25-Sep-12 09:53 AM by cliddell

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I would not "look" at a camera without a viewfinder, and a optical viewfinder at that.

One has to be aware that the optical P&S VF is not in the class of a (D)SLR VF but I would find it impossible to "pan" a fast moving (for eg. mountain bike flying over a jump) using the rear screen or a digital VF with it's slight delay for that matter.

Also, and this would apply to some (incl, myself) with long sightedness, its impossible to see the rear screen in focus

for the same reason it would be nice to have the facility to show some (selectable?) information in the VF window where we could read it without scratching around for the reading glasses...

No, I would not look a Canon because I only shoot RAW and use Nikon software for my editing.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 28-Sep-12 09:14 PM
8171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I used to be dead set against it. Old habits die hard. But my experience with the P7000 indicates that the optical VF has inadequate coverage anyway, so you cannot accurately compose with it.

Where it does help is in situations where the light makes the monitor hard to see. That alone, might make it hard to accept a camera without one.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

bobtail Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Sep 2006Tue 02-Oct-12 03:11 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15"
In response to Reply # 3

Axminster, GB

The very fact that this question is being asked shows that Nikon have really ' shot themselves in the foot' The OVF or perhaps a good EVF like Fuji has always been essential for me. I quickly learnt to crop tight in the finder to allow for the limited coverage which also compensates somewhat for paralax errors.
I have yet to see a rear LCD that is clear in bright light especially as like many users my eyes are not as good as they used to be. I was taught to brace my camera against my face to prevent camera shake. Vibration reduction has not changed this, just altered the critical point when shake might occur.
I also am glad I bought the P7100. The P7700 is a big disappointment, but I still want to stay Nikon to utilise Capture NX2

Chris.

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Thu 04-Oct-12 07:30 AM
1295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

My first Coolpix was a P5000, which I replaced with a P6000, replaced by a P7000, and then replaced with a P7100. All replacements were a significant improvement over their predecessors. I have no intention of replacing the P7100 with a P7700. To my mind, the extra 1-stop increase in speed of the lens is a poor trade for the OVF. And to be honest, I really don't even use the OVF on the P7100 all that often. But good luck trying to take it away from me. As others have mentioned, in direct sunlight, even a relatively poor OVF, such as the one on the P7100, is a whole bunch better than not having one at all. The other situation where an OVF can save your bacon is when tracking a moving subject. Not easily done with the LCD. I think Canon was pretty smart keeping the OVF on the G15. But if you like to convert your raw files in CNX2 like I do, then the G15 makes no sense. At this point in time, it appears to me that the P7100 is the zenith of the Coolpix line. I hope that changes at some later date. The P7100 is an outstanding compact camera, especially if you are looking for a compact camera with Nikon DNA, and compatibility with CNX2.

Russ

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Sun 07-Oct-12 01:14 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15"
In response to Reply # 5

Redmond, US

Top of the range compacts should have an OVF. They are meant to be a step better than P & S where franky good composition doesn't matter.
Nikon have got it wrong. Glad I got in with the P7100 before the change & will not have a camera without a viewfinder however poor.
BTW dont depend too much on CNX2 now Google own Nik Software who were the developers. It may disappear any time soon.
Tom

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sun 07-Oct-12 01:23 AM
1295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15"
In response to Reply # 6

Phoenix, US

Really? Should I hide my copy under the matress? Perhaps put a bell on it? Odd, it's never disappeared before, the installation files can always be found in the same folders where they were orignially installed. The installation disc continues to be found exactly where I last left it. No disappearing act whatsoever. Not sure how a change in parental ownership of Nik Software would change that. But I'll keep a more vigilant watchful eye on things, just the same.

Russ

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Mon 08-Oct-12 03:01 PM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15"
In response to Reply # 7

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Russ,

Yes, I agree. Still use Nikon Capture 4 occasionally for quick editing and, mainly, for the included NCC camera control which still works my cameras perfectly. Ha ha yes, I still use my favourite word processor WordPerfect 8 with the date on the CD box 04/97...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sun 21-Oct-12 02:06 AM
3496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The main advantage of the Nikon over the Canon is the 200mm equivalent lens focal length. That's why I went with the P7000 over the Canon G12 last year. I use the camera for photographing plays and concerts on occasion, and need the long lens.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Lumidapri Registered since 22nd Nov 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 03:16 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I would go with the Canon G15.
Not only you gain the OVF, but you also get a wider aperture and closer macro pictures. That should make up for the 140mm vs 200mm equivalent lens.
Other advantages are: the weight, ISO range, 1080p frames/sec and 24p support.

One debatable subject is the continuous shooting. I read both manuals and found that Nikon P7700 shoots a max of 6 frames at a speed of 8 fps, while Canon G15 shoots a max of 10 frames at a speed of 10 fps.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 24-Nov-12 02:16 PM
4595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

OVF....Well that is one of the many reasons I opted for the Fuji X10 rather then upgrading from my P7000 to the P7700.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

ISO200 Registered since 17th Dec 2005Wed 19-Dec-12 02:32 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: P7700 vs. Canon G15"
In response to Reply # 0

Saskatoon, CA

Not me, the OVF is not needed, this is a P&S, not a Dxxx and it has limitations.

I tried the G15 and didn't like the pictures. For me the P7700 makes better images.

The only thing I don't like about th P7700 is that it is slow, 5 seconds to write a NRW to the file. I am using a 45 second SanDisk, going to try a 90 in a while and I hope that speeds it up to a more useable speed, I have my doubts.

I use it as a P&S, if I want better pictures I bring my D3s

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10755 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.