Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10732
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coolpix S200 locking up after a few seconds use" Previous topic | Next topic
MerlinMags Registered since 10th Sep 2012Mon 10-Sep-12 10:22 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Coolpix S200 locking up after a few seconds use"

GB

I've had my Coolpix S200 for over 2 years and it has always been great.

Now when I switch it on, after 4 seconds it locks up. If you're really quick you can take one picture before it stops working. But after that you have to turn it off and on again.

Symptoms:
Screen shows whatever the camera is looking at (normal)
"AF" appears on screen in red/blue
Buttons unresponsive
Red 'flash is charging' light stays on

Battery is fully charged, no changes to memory card recently. Can't think of any action which will have caused this. Serial number 8052xxxx.

I have googled to see if anyone else has described the same problem, but not found anyone.

Thanks in advance if you have any thoughts....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 10-Sep-12 03:01 PM
10620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Coolpix S200 locking up after a few seconds use"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Quick troubleshooting step - replace the memory card with a known good one. What happens then?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

MerlinMags Registered since 10th Sep 2012Mon 10-Sep-12 03:18 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Coolpix S200 locking up after a few seconds use"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Even easier - I'll take the memory card out! The S200 has a small internal memory so it can take a handful of pics without a card present.
Same thing happens though!

The problem seems to be changing a little now. Regardless of memory card, when it starts up none of the buttons work. Pressing the shutter takes a picture, and then the buttons work! But the shutter then doesnt.

If you have any more ideas please let me know. I'm guessing this camera is cheaper to replace than fix. Thanks.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 10-Sep-12 11:02 PM
10620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Coolpix S200 locking up after a few seconds use"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Pull the battery, let the camera die from lack of power, leave it that way for about 72 hours. Recharge (can't recall if this model just takes disposables) the battery otherwise prepare a fresh set of disposables. Re-insert and power up. This is the old trick-the-camera-into-factory-defaults approach. It may or may not work.

Otherwise, you are correct, you would pay more in a bench fee to have the camera diagnosed versus replacing it outright.

Hope this helps!

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

MerlinMags Registered since 10th Sep 2012Wed 19-Sep-12 09:27 AM
#4. "RE: Coolpix S200 locking up after a few seconds use"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Left it for several days with no battery, but when I tried again with fully-recharged battery the same problem is still there.

Can't throw it away though. Wondering if it can do duty as a security camera, with the AV lead fed through to a TV.

It still works in 'time lapse' mode too, as the shutter is triggered internally every X minutes. Starting it is easy enough...but it doesn't want to stop as that requires a shutter press!

Thank you for your advice.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10732 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.