Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10707
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon Coolpix P7000" Previous topic | Next topic
warkentin Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Aug 2011Sun 26-Aug-12 05:41 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Coolpix P7000"

Richmond, US

My Coolpix P7000, about 2 year old, recently developed a problem with the lens cover not opening completely when the camera is turned on. I can easily open it manually. Search of the web shows many cases of this problem reported. Since the camera is out of warranty, is it worth getting fixed? How much? Or should I start looking for a new replacement?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Coolpix P7000
ScottChapin Moderator
26th Aug 2012
warkentin Silver Member
26th Aug 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
26th Aug 2012
warkentin Silver Member
26th Aug 2012
ISO200
16th Sep 2012
warkentin Silver Member
16th Sep 2012
ISO200
17th Sep 2012

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 26-Aug-12 09:20 PM
8050 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Coolpix P7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Given that the P7100 is about $350USD, I would guess it would be better to replace it?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

warkentin Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Aug 2011Sun 26-Aug-12 09:47 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon Coolpix P7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Richmond, US

Thanks, Scott. You are probably correct. The frustrating thing is that the rest of the camera works perfectly well. I suspect I'll get a new camera and use the P7000 as an injured backup.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 26-Aug-12 10:02 PM
8050 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon Coolpix P7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Powder Springs, US

I feel your pain. If you want the P7100, you should act fast, unless you like the P7700 and the price tag. I assume the P7100 is discontinued with the advent of the P7700.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

warkentin Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Aug 2011Sun 26-Aug-12 10:49 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon Coolpix P7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check into the P7100 today. Thanks for all your help.

John Warkentin

ISO200 Registered since 17th Dec 2005Sun 16-Sep-12 03:00 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon Coolpix P7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Saskatoon, CA

I had a P7000 with the same problem. I sent it to Nikon repair in California, it came back within a month. They replaced the lens with what appeared to be a refurbished one as it had a mark or grove worn into the side of the lens barrel. The bad news was that the repaired camera had exactly the same problem.

I live in Canada and returning it for a second time just wasn't worth it considering shipping, duty and taxes, even though the re-repair should have been covered under warranty.

I really like my Nikon gear, I have a D3s and some awesome glass. I lost faith in the notso-Coolpix camera line. I replaced it with a Canon G12.

I spoke to a Nikon rep at WPPI who fixated on the fact that as a Canadian, I had purchased an American product. He also proudly (and loudly) exclaimed that Nikon never considers web site complaints as valid no matter how many there are.

Go figure Nikon.

warkentin Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Aug 2011Sun 16-Sep-12 03:35 PM
#6. "RE: Nikon Coolpix P7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

Thanks for your reply. I am dismayed by the treatment you received from Nikon repair.i hope this was an isolated event but I'm not so sure. I suspected that the cost to fix my P7000 with expired warranty would not be cost effective. I, too, love my Nikon DSLR system-D300 and multiple beautiful lenses-but the CoolPix model that I bought and it's successor, the P7100, both have this same problem. I ventured further afield in my quest for a sophisticated small camera and purchased a Fujifilm X10. I am very happy with it.

John Warkentin

ISO200 Registered since 17th Dec 2005Mon 17-Sep-12 10:56 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon Coolpix P7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Saskatoon, CA

Hi John

I think I will take a look at the X10, would be interested in hearing what you think of it.

Eric Beal

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10707 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.