Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10687
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models" Previous topic | Next topic
flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more Nikonian since 07th Apr 2002Wed 22-Aug-12 05:47 AM
3993 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"

Havelock, US

I've nearly lost count on how many COOLPIX models are still on the market.

If you add the three new ones announced a few hours ago it should be a total of 29.

We have the highlights and links to Nikon's Press Releases in our News Blog.

I'd be interested in hearing what our COOLPIX owning members think of these three new models, especially the one with Android operating system.

---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera."

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models
Nikon32250 Silver Member
22nd Aug 2012
phlash46
22nd Aug 2012
James23p Moderator
22nd Aug 2012
cliddell Silver Member
22nd Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator
24th Aug 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
26th Aug 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
28th Aug 2012
Captain Rich Silver Member
22nd Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator
22nd Aug 2012
SRFast Silver Member
24th Aug 2012
lenshunter Silver Member
28th Aug 2012
SkySoldier Silver Member
28th Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator
29th Aug 2012

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Wed 22-Aug-12 10:10 AM
3559 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 0

St. Augustine, US

At first blush the new P7700 looks very interesting with a faster lens and a tilt/swivel LCD monitor. Then I saw that Nikon has done away with the optical viewfinder. Why??? For a DSLR user looking to buy a small lightweight "mini-SLR" don't they realize that an OVF is a virtual necessity?

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

phlash46 Registered since 01st Feb 2008Wed 22-Aug-12 12:24 PM
2207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 1

Peekskill, US

I agree. The gain of one stop vs. losing the OVF is a non-starter for me. The 7100 will stay in my bag.

However, the S800c looks very interesting; if a decent P&S and, in effect, an android sans the 'phone, that's interesting!

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 22-Aug-12 03:01 PM
9742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 2

Memphis, US

I would have said the same when I first got my P7000 but since then I have never used the viewfinder. The P7700 seems like a very fast more powerful Coolpix and has my interest peaked due to the very fast lens and the fully articulated LCD. I guess the real test will be how fast the AF works.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Wed 22-Aug-12 03:40 PM
1002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 3

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Yes, the P7700 does look good. However, the lack of a viewfinder is a deal breaker for me. I find a viewfinder, however rudimentry, is essential when panning action shots. Examples where I have had success with my P7000 is bicycle track racing, aerobatics and other action shots.

Unfortunately most of these come with enough noise that I really miss the DSLR mirror slap and blackout and lens aperture noise to let me know that the shot has been taken. I wish some indication in the VF could be contrived...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 24-Aug-12 01:46 PM
10781 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 1

US

At lower ISOs, the P7xxx series is starting to cannibalize the Nikon 1 system. Putting a VF on the latest model would have potentially eaten away at V1 and any follow-ons...

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 26-Aug-12 10:39 AM
8195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 1

Powder Springs, US

Not having an OVF is a big disappointment to me as well. It might be mental, but I think the OVF helps stabilize the camera, since you are holding it to your face and close in. It's hard to view the monitor when its pressed against your cheek.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 28-Aug-12 11:50 AM
2528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 1

Vantaa, FI

Thank you for pointing out the omission of the OVF. I was very close to putting my P7100 on sale, in anticpation of the P7700. FullHD video, combined with a dedicated zoom lever, would have meant that there was no need to carry a dedicated video camera. Yes, I know that D800(E) takes excellent video material, but smooth zooming during recording is next to impossible. Omission of the OVF would not matter if my eyes were as adaptive as they were 20-30 years ago, but now I need reading glasses to see the LCD screen clearly, and in bright sunlight I don't see it at all.

Regards, Antero

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 22-Aug-12 03:46 PM
1195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 0

Savannah, US

I've been wavering between the P7100 and Fuji X10, and have been "this close" to springing for the Fuji. If Nikon had included a viewfinder in the P7700, I'd be on the pre-order list NOW. I wish they would come out with an external electronic viewfinder like Olympus and Panasonic have. Again, I would buy NOW!

Rich

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 22-Aug-12 04:03 PM
10781 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Regarding the S800C:

I wonder if XDA developers (well-known Android developer group that creates Custom versions of Android for specific phones) is already planning to root (gain administrative access) this camera. Probably, just to have bragging rights. Nikon is getting closer to the socially-connected camera. It probably would have added another level of complexity to support a 3G/4G connection (which bands/carriers) and forced them to develop a phone which really isn't their core competency. It's just as well; they have their hands full just supporting the D800 launch and associated issues. <Sarcasm Filter ON> What would be cool is that you take a perfectly good photo with this camera and can now Instagram the heck out of it to look like you used a Holga. <Sarcasm Filter OFF>

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Fri 24-Aug-12 01:31 AM
1462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 6

New York City, US

Nikon did me a favor when it didn't include an optical viewfinder on the just announced P7700. I don't have to find a buyer for my P7000 or write a bigger check to my credit card company.

Regards....JL

lenshunter Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2007Tue 28-Aug-12 01:51 AM
151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 7

st elmo, US

I second that JL,i'm going to keep my 7100 with a view finder.It's not the best but at least it's their.

SkySoldier Silver Member Charter MemberTue 28-Aug-12 05:34 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 10

Omaha, US

I am in the market for a small, capable camera to use on my many motorcycle trips. The absence of the OVF in the latest coolpix is also a deal breaker for me. Hope Nikon reads these blogs. In the meantime, my D3 fits in my luggage. Rob

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 29-Aug-12 06:20 PM
#13. "RE: Nikon announces three new COOLPIX models"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Samsung counter-punches with their own Android-powered camera. See the thread in the Non-Nikon forum here.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10687 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.