Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10648
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?" Previous topic | Next topic
Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Wed 01-Aug-12 01:29 AM
3539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"

St. Augustine, US

I'm taking a trip to India in November. I'm going to take one DSLR, but I want a less noticeable and more compact camera for street photography. I've got a thread going about the D5100 as an alternative. Earlier today I came across the P7100. Even thought I suppose it might be considered a P&S I like all the dials and buttons that will let me change settings on the fly.

Is the P7100 a good street camera, and what are the main challenges I am likely to face when compared to, say, a D300?

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?
mklass Platinum Member
01st Aug 2012
Nikon32250 Silver Member
01st Aug 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
01st Aug 2012
Nikon32250 Silver Member
01st Aug 2012
OldITGeek Silver Member
02nd Aug 2012
Propjob Silver Member
02nd Aug 2012
cliddell Silver Member
02nd Aug 2012
SRFast Silver Member
06th Aug 2012
kgb144 Silver Member
07th Aug 2012
Howker Silver Member
10th Aug 2012
billaquino Silver Member
14th Aug 2012
Nikon32250 Silver Member
14th Aug 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
14th Aug 2012
jadiniz
18th Aug 2012
Propjob Silver Member
21st Sep 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 01-Aug-12 02:58 AM
5910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 01-Aug-12 03:10 AM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Graham,

I tried a P7000 as a travel camera. I just couldn't get used to it.

While it has a lot of controls, it isn't a DSLR. The viewfinder wasn't good for focusing and focusing with the rear screen was not for me. If you are a frequent live view user, you may have better luck. My issue was getting focus on the correct part of the composition.

The images I did get were good, although noise is low light is not up to DSLR standards.

Zoom range is too limited for my purposes.

If you can accept the limitations, it is a good camera and certainly a lot less obvious than a DSLR.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Wed 01-Aug-12 03:03 AM
3539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 1

St. Augustine, US

Mick, if it has all those limitations then in wouldn't work for me either. I think I just read that it only has an 80% VF which isn't good. Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Wed 01-Aug-12 06:40 AM
2508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

I like the P7100 a lot. I posted my experiences here:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=175&topic_id=90246&mesg_id=90246&page=9

And here:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=153&topic_id=10552&mesg_id=10552&page=2

Low-light performance and the difficulty of seeing the LCD in sunlight are the most significant limitations for me. The really nice thing is convenience. When I have my Sigma 50-500mm or an extreme wide-angle lens mounted on my D800E for wildlife, I like the fact that I can take those “document” shots with the P7100 without taking the backpack off my back to change lenses.

Regards, Antero

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Wed 01-Aug-12 11:34 AM
#4. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 3

St. Augustine, US

Thanks Antero, you certainly have mastered this camera. The panorama shot almost looks like a fisheye lens was used.

Graham

OldITGeek Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2011Thu 02-Aug-12 01:32 AM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

I have a D7000 and a P7100, I use the P7100 when I travel for work as I don't want/can take the D7000, photos are good.

It's a great travel camera.

Propjob Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2009Thu 02-Aug-12 12:01 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 5

Rochester, US

I have been using the P 7100 as an alternative to carrying my D90 and associated lenses. Will be using on an Ireland trip instaead of hauling the DSLR. Highly recommend
JIM

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Thu 02-Aug-12 06:25 PM
996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 6

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I do a lot of motorcycling and walking and my P7000 gets by far the most use of my camera collection. Since getting the P7000 it is with me most of the time taking excellent pictures and my DSLRs seem to be quite neglected.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Mon 06-Aug-12 12:41 AM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 7

New York City, US

My primary camera is a D3S, but I take my P7000 when I don't feel like taking the D3S.

Regards...JL

kgb144 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2007Tue 07-Aug-12 08:20 PM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayrshire, GB

Graham,

I recently bought a second hand P7000 as an alternative to my F100 or D80. Until now I used a Lumix LX3 that was very good as a point and shoot but had no contolability when lighting was not optimum or difficult.

I have to say I am very impressed with the P7000. I upgraded the software to 1.2 and the results so far are quite amazing. It is larger than the LX3 but the quality of the pictures is stunning. The viewfinder is best thought of as an aid to composition and you soon get a feel for what it doesn't show. It would not shoot sports or fast moving wildlife but as a serious travel camera it is ideal.

For me it is an ideal foil to my SLRs.

Kind regards,

ft

My Nikonians Gallery

Ayrshire, Scotland

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Fri 10-Aug-12 03:01 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 9

Redmond, US

I have a D7000 & The P7100. The P7100 is everything you want in a point & shoot with bells +whistles!
Its not a DSLR for sure but its not meant to be. When it comes to travel there is little you will not be able to do, well except shoot NWR to the full extent of the zoom - it only zooms to telephoto range not into the electronic zoom range in RAW.
Frankly my ONLY criticism of it is the lack of shutter sound when bracketing. I think its crazy. The shutter sounds in single shot but not when you bracket.
My traveling companion has the Canon G12 & its good but for me the P7100 wins.

billaquino Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2007Tue 14-Aug-12 04:29 AM
179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

I currently on a trip with both a DSLR and P7100. I believe that the P7100 is a great street camera. The biggest challenge I have is focusing from a head-on moving object. But the camera is more discreet than my DSLR. The tilt LCD allowed me to make images with the camera down at my waist and not in my face. I can say that the image quality is amazing and makes up for things. I find that you have to prepare yourself for the shot upfront. Not a bad practice.

Here are a few images using the P7100. The first is an Afghan soldier who was attending training. He seemed distracted by some women standing behind the class...without wearing a scarf on top of their head. I made this image with the camara down at my waist...not wanting to add to the distractions.

This photo is an example of planning ahead and luck. We were in an armored vehicle, rolling through Kabul. The thick ballistic windows definitely impacts focusing. But it did see a subject at an intersection. I started visualized a shot...gave my self some room room for error with a liberal focal length...and caught the subject at the right moment...you know...luck

The P7100 is an excellent companion to a DSLR...a great camara by itself. I recommend it.

Bill Aquino

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Tue 14-Aug-12 11:47 AM
#12. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 11

St. Augustine, US

You certainly managed to capture some amazing images.

Graham

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 14-Aug-12 10:24 PM
8100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Graham,

I have a P7000 and really like it a lot. Of course it isn't a DSLR, but it can go everywhere without bogging me down. It's pictures are decent too.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sat 18-Aug-12 10:16 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 13

Estoril, PT

I just came from vacation, where I took a D7000 and a P7100. Both were used, since I was vacationing, and didn't want to carry the big one all the time. Going to the beach, or out for dinner, the compact is quite usable, and got great results with it.

With nearly 7000 pics taken in 16 days (several bullfighting events, parades, etc), my biggest problem was choosing just one pic-per-day for my blog. Several of the chosen ones were taken with the P7100, care to guess which ones?

(holyday entries are named 31jul to 16aug and were all posted yesterday)

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

Propjob Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2009Fri 21-Sep-12 09:24 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Your thoughts on a P7100 to a DSLR user?"
In response to Reply # 14

Rochester, US

Graham:
I am in Ireland on Vacation as I stated a couple of months ago. I bought the P7100 with this and other trips in mind. Not the the same as my D90, however, if your adept in photography, this camera offers stealth, quality and practicality. Yes I miss my long and macro lenses, but hang this with an opti/tech strap. You will love it. Put it through some test paces before you go. Learn the camera. As close to SLR as you get. Once I get back I'll post pics. I shoot Raw and Jpeg.

JIM

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10648 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.