Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10552
View in linear mode

Subject: "It Can Be Done!" Previous topic | Next topic
DaynLarz Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2007Wed 09-May-12 07:23 PM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"It Can Be Done!"
Wed 09-May-12 07:25 PM by DaynLarz

Blue Springs, US

HDR that is with a point ‘n shooter!

We have a local club. Many members have compact cameras and I am sure that they feel at times intimidated by those of us with DSLR cameras. So I try to explore ways to do things with my Coolpix L22 that they can do and encourage them to explore photography with the camera they have.

For this photo, I set the camera to landscape assuming that this mode would set the camera for aperture priority and put the camera on a tripod. Then I adjusted the exposure compensation level to -2 exposures. Shot the picture. Moved the exposure compensation to zero. Shot the picture. Moved the exposure compensation to +2 exposures. Shot the picture. And of course all the time being careful not move the camera too much.

Processed the 3 photos in Photomatix and post processed in PS Camera Raw 7. I’ve posted for comparison the normal exposure. Post processed it also in PS Camera Raw 7 with just about the same settings for the HDR photo. I believe that you can see the non-HDR photo has more contrast.

Anyhow, if you have compact camera and are wanting to explore some other aspects of photography, it can be done. You have to know what your camera can and cannot do.

Happy shooting!

Dayn Cederstrom
Blue Springs, MO

Normal Exposure

HDR Version (-2, 0, +2)

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: It Can Be Done!
Antero52 Silver Member
11th May 2012
jadiniz
29th Aug 2012
russg Silver Member
01st Sep 2012
jadiniz
01st Sep 2012
russg Silver Member
01st Sep 2012

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Fri 11-May-12 06:13 AM
2488 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: It Can Be Done!"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

On my gallery I have two pictures from NYK, shot with my P7100. One is a panorama, the other is a HDR image. Let's see if the links work:

Regards, Antero

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Wed 29-Aug-12 07:33 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: It Can Be Done!"
In response to Reply # 1

Estoril, PT

The P7100 is a great camera for HDR, capable of shooting raw, with adjustable 5-pic bracketing, and the perfect size and weight to hook it to a Gorillapod (I use an SLR-Zoom model with ballhead for convenience and extra stability, not the recommended Hybrid model). Plus, it's compatible with the Nikon IR remote shutter!

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sat 01-Sep-12 08:48 PM
1165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: It Can Be Done!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 01-Sep-12 10:15 PM by russg

Phoenix, US

Here's three HDR images taken HAND-HELD with my P7100 in the West Fork Canyon of Oak Creek, Arizona, on Christmas morning, 2011. These were 3-exposure bracketed sets, 1 stop apart, merged in Photomatix Pro and then finished off in Capture NX2.

Russ

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sat 01-Sep-12 10:10 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: It Can Be Done!"
In response to Reply # 3

Estoril, PT

WOW! If you had said that these pics were taken with a D800 and a 35mm f1.4 lens, I would have believed. Great post production and camera handling. Ths is what I call getting the best out of your gear!

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sat 01-Sep-12 10:26 PM
1165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: It Can Be Done!"
In response to Reply # 4

Phoenix, US

Thanks! The P7100 is very capable compact camera. But I can tell you you that the raw files from the P7100 don't give near the lattitude as the raw files in my D300. There's no real surprise in that statement. I'm sure I'd say the same thing about the D300 files if I was comparing them to D800 files. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a D800 in my camera bag which would allow me to make that comparison. Oh, well.

Russ

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10552 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.