Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #101
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is the Coolpix 885 good for me?" Previous topic | Next topic
Photoguy1234 Basic MemberMon 22-Oct-01 11:06 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Is the Coolpix 885 good for me?"

Livermore, US

I have been looking into getting into digital photography. I have looked at several digital cameras and wanted to get one with at least 3 million pixels and different metering options. I have noticed that the Coolpix 885 has these features and is in my price range. I want the ability to have some more advanced options, but not at that big of a price. Can i have some help on this? thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is the Coolpix 885 good for me?
highnoon
22nd Oct 2001
jrp Administrator
23rd Oct 2001
Lore
06th Nov 2001
jnscbl
06th Nov 2001
Lore
06th Nov 2001
          Reply message how 'bout the 5000
avitar
08th Nov 2001
               Reply message RE: how 'bout the 5000
Lore
08th Nov 2001

highnoon Basic MemberMon 22-Oct-01 11:27 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is the Coolpix 885 good for me?"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

There is only one place to go to find out about that new digital camera we've all at least considered buying. Digital Photography Reivew has the most comprehensive, smart reviews I've seen. I wish I could find a site that reviews 35mm lenses like this.

Good luck

John

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 23-Oct-01 12:45 AM
34207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is the Coolpix 885 good for me?"
In response to Reply # 1

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I really cannot say, since you are not telling us what you want to do with it. However it is interesting you ask since I am thinking in getting one. There are often times when I fell compelled to show something here, immediately and a decent digital camera is the quick way to do it, with just enough resolution for the web.
I have been looking at the Coolpix 885 for such a task. For USD550 I think it is a very good machine vs the 995 for USD930. I might get it soon. After our brief conversation on the subject in North Carolina, my partner Bo has apparently reached the same conclusion.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Lore Basic MemberTue 06-Nov-01 01:52 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is the Coolpix 885 good for me?"
In response to Reply # 2

You can get the Coolpix 995 for LESS than the 885 if you buy it from Dell right now. They have a 20% off coupon for Software and Peripherals, bringing the price down to $619. Then you subtract the $100 from the rebate, and then use your AMEX Blue card pricematch it with Royal Camera. That takes the total price down to $410 after all is said and done.

Excellent pricing if I might say so myself. I have a Nikon N80 and while I love it dearly, I can't help but wonder how nice it would be to have a Coolpix 995 for quick shots (like what JRP wants to do)

Best regards,
Kenneth Chen
University of California, Berkeley

jnscbl Basic MemberTue 06-Nov-01 03:12 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is the Coolpix 885 good for me?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

If possible, I would like to hear LORE'S opinion why it would be better to get the 995 than the 885. It sounds like you have been doing some serious shopping.
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Lore Basic MemberTue 06-Nov-01 05:50 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Is the Coolpix 885 good for me?"
In response to Reply # 4

I only say that because of the price. The 995 is a higher-end model than the 885, and right now the 885 is more expensive (if you consider the rebate + that price matching thing) than the 885. That's the only reason.

Best regards,
Kenneth Chen

avitar Thu 08-Nov-01 02:21 AM

#6. "how 'bout the 5000"
In response to Reply # 3

Could you please tell me the best deal for a CoolPix 5000? You sure know how to find (or make) one. ALso what is the AMEX Blue Pricematch with Royal Camera?

Lore Basic MemberThu 08-Nov-01 02:41 AM
#7. "RE: how 'bout the 5000"
In response to Reply # 6

I haven't seen any deals for the 5000 just yet, however, I'm sure as the product matures in the market deals will become more prevalent.

The AMEX Blue card is a regular American Express card with added benefits such as their Best Value Guarantee. You can buy something anywhere, and within 60 days, if you find a lower price, you can get up to $250 of the difference back. You can even do this multiple times within 60 days AS LONG AS the maximum difference that you get back is $250 overall for this purchase.

Best regards,
Kenneth Chen

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #101 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.