Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #988
View in linear mode

Subject: "Waterproof casing" Previous topic | Next topic
alex_wareing Registered since 09th Dec 2005Fri 09-Dec-05 02:10 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Waterproof casing"

I'm considering buying a D50 soon, one of the areas i'm really intressted in is Surf Photography. I was sondering if anyone knew of a waterproof case for the D50.

I've taken a look around the net and i have found a couple of full underwater cases. I don't want to go diving with the camera and i won't go underwater, and i don't see any sense in buying a a case that cost 3 times that of the camera.

I'm just looking for essentially a "splash proof" case so i can go out into the water waist deep and shoot.

Any ideas?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Waterproof casing
K1W1
09th Dec 2005
Shred
09th Dec 2005
edmun
10th Dec 2005
dfcamara
10th Dec 2005
Shred
22nd Dec 2005
Aphex
22nd Dec 2005

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Fri 09-Dec-05 04:16 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Waterproof casing"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

What you want is one of those plastic bag type housings from somebody like Aquapac. I don't recall seeing them for SLRs though - only P&S type cameras.
The other option would be a cheap P&S type digital camera and an Aquapac.

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Fri 09-Dec-05 04:26 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Waterproof casing"
In response to Reply # 1

FI

If you want a real waterproof (underwater) camera housing,
it is going to cost lot more than the D50 kit.

Here are few examples of underwater cases for D50:
DXD50
FD50
DTTL70

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 10-Dec-05 01:54 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Waterproof casing"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

Ewa marine has water resistant cases.

ledmun

dfcamara Registered since 10th Dec 2005Sat 10-Dec-05 03:29 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Waterproof casing"
In response to Reply # 0

Campinas, BR

Ewa-Marine Underwater Housing for Nikon
http://www.adorama.com/EWDNKD1.html?kbid=64628

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 22-Dec-05 08:52 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Waterproof casing"
In response to Reply # 4

FI

I just noticed that Aqua Pac has universal Waterproof SLR camera case.
It's not as good as the real underwater housings but for occasional use it should be perfect.
See more details here.

Aphex Registered since 30th Oct 2005Thu 22-Dec-05 09:36 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Waterproof casing"
In response to Reply # 5

NL

I remember reading an article about making a camera rain-proof. All you need is: a plastic bag, a lens hood and a UV-filter. Put the camera inside the bag and tighten the plastic around the body and lens. Then mount the lens hood over the plastic. This way the camera and lens are sealed. Use scissors to cut off the abundant plastic. Lastly, screw on the UV-filter to protect the front element.
This helps against rain and splash water, but is ofcourse not ment for underwater. I have not tried it out yet, but according to the author it should work great. And it is about as cheap as it gets.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #988 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.