Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #98
View in linear mode

Subject: "I'm Back With Nikon: Got the D50, Love It!" Previous topic | Next topic
larrytucaz Registered since 30th Aug 2003Sun 30-Oct-05 04:26 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"I'm Back With Nikon: Got the D50, Love It!"

Tucson,

; this post was relevant 6 weeks ago, since the loss of all the messages from the mishap, though I'd help with "rebuilding.")

I'm merely a hobbyist, nothing more. I shot with Nikon all my life going back as far as January 1983 with a Nikon EM when I was but 14. Later in 2000 (yes, 2000) I got a Nikon FE. Then in mid-2003 I got "current" with the Nikon N65 only to then quickly upgrade to the N80 I had wanted in the first place. Then, I got the Coolpix 5700 as my 2nd digital and first "serious" digital after the Coolpix 775. Not long after, I reluctantly sold the beloved N80.

At the time I got the 5700 I LOVED it and was delighted to get it, but this was in May 2004 and of course the camera I BADLY wanted was the Nikon D70. I couldn't justify it, though, and in Nov 2004 when I saw its competitor the Canon EOS 300D (Digital Rebel) show up used for $565 w/18-55mm, I went for it.

When I heard of the D50's introduction, that excited me. I wanted one, but STILL couldn't justify a $300 difference between it & what I'd likely get selling the Canon, esp. since I was unemployed at that time. I'd say to myself "you're getting great images from the Canon (which I was), just stay where you are." I might have well stayed there and gone for the Canon 20D when finances were better. But I still wanted the D50, especially after reading the good reviews on it and hearing rumours that Nikon would finally answer the Canon 20D with the D200.

Last September 14th 2005 I finally got one. I had seen an ad 2 days before where someone who got a D50 as a wedding gift but who already had a D70 wanted to sell their D50, still in the box totally unused WITH the 18-55mm G lens--for $500. I was suspicious it might be stolen, but was satisfied that it (thank God) wasn't. I managed to sell my Canon 300D stuff for enough to come back with very little "upgrade penalty."

I was back in the Nikon fold!

I have now had the D50 for 6 weeks (last Wed) and I LOVE it. It is so wonderful an SLR to have. I now no longer ache that I wasn't able to get the D70 in 2004 as I wanted. I do NOT regret my time with the Canon, but it was slow with image playback--plus I am a Nikonian at heart, and wanted to "come back home." With that great deal on the D50, I was able to.

I didn't go for the "new" Digital Rebel XT (350D); besides the fact that I'm a Nikonian at heart anyway, I also didn't like its small size and the usage of the menu-system for setting white balance, ISO, image size, and flash exposure compensation. The D50 does really felt MUCH better in the hand, and I much prefer how the status LCD panel (not image-review LCD) is used for those settings--that is how a D-SLR should work.

I added the ML-L3 remote, a spare generic battery, the 70-300G (now replacing it with the Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II), and two 512-SD cards (standard speed). I'd LOVE to add the 24-120 VR lens.

Here are 2 shots I took with it early October, they blew up to 8x12 and 11x16˝ and look so punchy and vibrant--and I didn't even shoot those particular ones in NEF/RAW as I did others. They are STRAIGHT Fine/Large JPEGs right-out-the-box:

<http://mk23.image.pbase.com/v3/09/494709/1/50216307.dsc_0112_rz.JPG>

<http://mk29.image.pbase.com/v3/09/494709/1/50216308.dsc_0117_rz.JPG>

I am still saying it 6 weeks after I did it--I am SO glad to be back with Nikon again! They really have a winner with the D50. And seeing what the D200 is like lets me know they are NOT lagging way behind Canon (with the 20D) like some say. Nikon really is THE brand for so many of us, and I'm proud to own the D50!

PS--I have a copy of the D50 owner's manual in PDF if you can't find it at Nikon's site. Feel free to contact me if you need it. (I will first send you the most recent link I have which works--if that doesn't work, I do actually have the PDF saved to my hard drive.)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 30-Oct-05 04:58 AM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I'm Back With Nikon: Got the D50, Love It!"
In response to Reply # 0

Regina, CA

Welcome back!! D50 is an awesome camera!

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 30-Oct-05 01:36 PM
14176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I'm Back With Nikon: Got the D50, Love It!"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Nice shots. I had a chance to use the D50 when we ran the Nikonians test report, and I really enjoyed using the camera. The picture quality was excellent, and the solidity of the camera was remarkable given its price. I've since recommended them to several of my friends. Nikon is making some really nice gear right now (as always).

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #98 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.