Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #9718
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wich tripod for a D50 with a 70-300 ED?" Previous topic | Next topic
NIKO Registered since 15th Aug 2006Tue 15-Aug-06 05:10 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wich tripod for a D50 with a 70-300 ED?"

AR

I want to get a tripod for my d50 with a 70-300 ED lense. Any rcomendations would be apreciated. I will use it mainly for lanscapes and night photos.
Thanks in advance
NIKO

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wich tripod for a D50 with a 70-300 ED?
James23p Moderator
15th Aug 2006
NIKO
15th Aug 2006
alembicbassman
15th Aug 2006
Hed kandi
16th Aug 2006
NIKO
16th Aug 2006
Ranger Tim
17th Aug 2006

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Tue 15-Aug-06 05:14 PM
9680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wich tripod for a D50 with a 70-300 ED?"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

I really like my Bogan/Manfrotto 3001N its light enough that I will take it and sturdy enough for most work(I have used it with the 70-300G model). Plus the price will not kill you either. Jim

Oh welcome to Nikonians and hope to see you often. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

NIKO Registered since 15th Aug 2006Tue 15-Aug-06 07:08 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wich tripod for a D50 with a 70-300 ED?"
In response to Reply # 1

AR

Thanks a lot Jim!!!
NIKO

alembicbassman Registered since 30th Oct 2004Tue 15-Aug-06 08:49 PM
1331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wich tripod for a D50 with a 70-300 ED?"
In response to Reply # 2

The North, GB

The SLIK Mini pro III is the best pocket tripod for city walkabouts.

It's sturdy and has a ball head.

Extends to about 8 inches high and is 6 inches stowed.

Saves carrying a whacking great tripod around, when shooting cities there's always a useful wall nearby to rest it on.

Hed kandi Registered since 10th Aug 2006Wed 16-Aug-06 04:35 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wich tripod for a D50 with a 70-300 ED?"
In response to Reply # 3

NL

I had the same issue.

and finaly bought myself a Manfrotto DB55 with a Manfrotto 804RC2 head.

not that light to carry around but works great and very stable

A Nikonian from
Amsterdam - The - Netherlands
www.JeroendeNijs.nl ~ Typicly Dutch photo\'s

A Nikonian from
Amsterdam - The - Netherlands
www.JeroendeNijs.nl ~ Typicly Dutch photo\'s

NIKO Registered since 15th Aug 2006Wed 16-Aug-06 02:09 PM
#5. "RE: Wich tripod for a D50 with a 70-300 ED?"
In response to Reply # 4

AR

Thanks very much to you all
NIKO

Ranger Tim Registered since 31st Jul 2004Thu 17-Aug-06 11:52 AM
173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wich tripod for a D50 with a 70-300 ED?"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

The Manfrotto 3001 series is a good starter tripod for lightweight gear such as you describe. I recommend getting a full length tripod for scenics. Try to get one that will go to full height (eye level) without using a lot of center post. It is always frustrating to have to stoop, kneel, squat, etc. when shooting and it makes for an uncomfortable situation when in tall bushes! This tripod can be shortened at will and will also shoot close to ground level, a real advantage when working macros.

This style tripod is not that heavy, just bulky. You will eventually come to see the difference in your pictures in terms of sharpness and composition as opposed to shooting without one. Handheld is fun, but I always have a nagging feeling that my pictures are going to be unacceptably soft.

Get a quick release model. You'll be glad you did. It is always good to have a tripod handy for holding a remote flash or the inevitable group photo.

Get a ball head. You'll always want one otherwise. I have both of Manfrotto's pistol grip heads and I still want a ball head!

You will need to be careful when shooting with the D50 and 70-300 on a tripod. There can be specific shutter speed ranges where the entire set up will vibrate and blur shots. I believe this to be the case from 1/15 to 1 second in general, but there are people that have actually studied and documented this phenomenon. I sometimes dampen the lens with a heavy cloth or jacket or even my hand. This works suprisingly well. You will find out what works best for you. It will be interesting what effect the new VR lens will have in this regard.

I would rather use a bean bag than a table top tripod. I believe they are easier to store, less prone to damage, easier to set up, and they double as a neck pillow! YMMV.

Tim
Camp Ranger, BSA

Tim
Camp Ranger, BSA
http://home.earthlink.net/~streagle/index.html

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #9718 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.