Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #965
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lens advice for D-50 purchase" Previous topic | Next topic
Bulldog Registered since 08th Dec 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 03:15 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lens advice for D-50 purchase"

Atlanta, US

Greetings Nikonians and thanks in advance for any advice. By intor i am a former SLR film (Pentax K-1000) user who can't stand point and shoot cameras. I waited for digital SLR's to get to the point they were affordable and now want to buy the D-50. Having read some reviews on the "kit" lens (ie 18-55), I am wondering do I buy the body alone then purchase another lens or 2 lenses other than the kit. My general uses are sports, taking pictures of my sone playing basketball, baseball and football, taking pictures of my children and grandchildren, and general vacation scenery. I know that is pretty vague and general but any advice would be appreciated. Any advice on what accessories I shoule start out with such as memory (is 1GB really what is needed or can I get by with 256 if I save and download frequently?) UV lens filter I gather is needed...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lens advice for D-50 purchase
debarshiduttagupta
08th Dec 2005
Shred
08th Dec 2005
Aphex
08th Dec 2005
avm247 Moderator
08th Dec 2005
Bulldog
08th Dec 2005
Shred
08th Dec 2005
DofN
09th Dec 2005
edmun
10th Dec 2005

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 03:31 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lens advice for D-50 purchase"
In response to Reply # 0

Kolkata, IN

I have the D50 and have the following lenses and get very good results. 28-200ED G, 70-300G, 50mm 1.8 AFD and the Kit 18-55DX ED. I am satisfied with the 18-55 but I use the 28-200 and the 50 mm most of the time. the 70-300G in the range of F8-F11 is the sharpest and takes very good photos for the price you pay for one.

As regards 1 GB, you can shoot around 280 photos with the JPEG-FINE-LARGE file size settings. I think for a DSLR you need 1 GB. So go for 1GB as you will soon find the need for more space.

Hope this helps you.

Keep clicking.

Debarshi

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 05:02 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lens advice for D-50 purchase"
In response to Reply # 1

FI

Do you have quality lenses for your Pentax K-1000?
Just wondering why moving to Nikon DSLR instead of Pentax DSLR.

Aphex Registered since 30th Oct 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 05:16 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lens advice for D-50 purchase"
In response to Reply # 2

NL

Here's what I think about your question: the kitlens is ok, good enough for the money. However, there are better lenses. It really depends on your budget.

The 18-70mm DX is often recommended, but more expensive. I have good experience with the Sigma EX 18-50 2.8. The Nikkor 17-55 2.8 should be even better, but is a lot more expensive. And don't forget the primes.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 08-Dec-05 05:50 PM
18281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lens advice for D-50 purchase"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Dan,

Welcome to Nikonians! Congratulations on your D50.

How much is your budget?

The 18-55 and 55-200 Nikkor zooms were designed as consumer grade lenses for the D50. That doesn't make them poor choices though there are some better lens choices out there.

The AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF DX lenses is very popular. (This is the "kit" lens for D70s.) The AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED lens is also a popular choice; there is also a G lens version that lacks an aperture ring (aperture is controlled by the body, so no loss there) and also lacks the single ED lens element in the D ED version. This would be a good consumer kit lens.

Some members are also very happy the AF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED IF lens, though you will not have a wide angle capability. (A 12-24mm lens would give you that wide angle capability, though.)

Nikon are also announcing an AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED IF DX lens but I am not aware of pricing (probably $650 US). Release should be mid to late December.

More expensive options would be the pro f/2.8 zoom lenses.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Bulldog Registered since 08th Dec 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 06:14 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lens advice for D-50 purchase"
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

Shred, No I do not have a range of Pentax lenses. The standard non zoom pentax that came withthe camera (purchased in mid 70s') and a Sigma zoom that I have not been pleased with at all. From the reviews I have read, the D-50 and Pentax ist DL were in my price range and had the most favorable reviews. Going with the D-50.

Anthony, my budget is camera body and lens for under 800. I had been thinking of starting with the body and the 18-70 lens that comes with the D-70S. The reviews of the 18-70 seem to be far more favorable than those for the 18-55. Thanks for your suggestions.

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 08:03 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lens advice for D-50 purchase"
In response to Reply # 5

FI

D50 + 18-70 is excellent combination add a 1Gb SD card and a camera bag and you are ready to roll.

DofN Registered since 06th Dec 2005Fri 09-Dec-05 03:46 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lens advice for D-50 purchase"
In response to Reply # 5

Belmont, US

Actually I was wondering if anyone has any input over which lens is better, the Sigma 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 Compact Aspherical Hyperzoom Macro for Nikon AF or the Tamron 28-200 F/3.8-5.6 XR SUPER for NIKON AF-D.

Thanks
DofN

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 10-Dec-05 10:46 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Lens advice for D-50 purchase"
In response to Reply # 7

eugene, US

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID17&conf=DCConfID4 is the third party lens forum.

Questions like yours will be answered there.

ledmun

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #965 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.