Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #944
View in linear mode

Subject: "Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50" Previous topic | Next topic
aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 11:01 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"

Hi all. After trying PDA screen protectors for my D50 and not being happy with the results i decided to modify a D70s to fit my D50.
If you decide to modify one for yours you will need a D70s (BM-5) LCD screen protector. You will then need to remove the bottom flange and part of the top flange (i used a dremel) on the screen protector so it sits flat on your cameras screen. You will then need to find some double sided pads (I used some cut down sigma cycle computer pads) and attach them to the screen protector at the very top and very bottom of the sceen protector. Try to use pads that are sticky enough to hold the screen on tight but not strong enough to damage the screen if you need to remove it. If you do need to remove it for any reason gently twist from side to side untill it becomes loose.

Here are some pics of mine, comments welcome.

http://usera.imagecave.com/system/showpicture.asp?u=wheelsofsteel&p=DSCF0436a.JPG&a=

http://usera.imagecave.com/system/showpicture.asp?u=wheelsofsteel&p=DSCF0440a.JPG&a=

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50
soupdragon
08th Dec 2005
sillyconguru
08th Dec 2005
soupdragon
08th Dec 2005
sillyconguru
08th Dec 2005
lucas2840
08th Dec 2005
sillyconguru
08th Dec 2005
K1W1
09th Dec 2005
aacycles
09th Dec 2005
K1W1
09th Dec 2005
aacycles
10th Dec 2005
jcd94160
31st Dec 2005
aacycles
31st Dec 2005
Robhomer1
31st Dec 2005
MasterDabber Silver Member
31st Dec 2005
espuna
01st Jan 2006
K1W1
01st Jan 2006
nissanspdr
12th Jan 2006
dracodoc
16th Jan 2006
Lakota
27th Jan 2006
soupdragon
27th Jan 2006

soupdragon Basic MemberThu 08-Dec-05 11:31 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Is that a picture of a D50??????

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 11:46 AM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Yes, with a power grip.

soupdragon Basic MemberThu 08-Dec-05 02:49 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 2

That's a modded D70 grip as well is it?

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 09:09 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

I don't think so.

lucas2840 Registered since 11th Mar 2004Thu 08-Dec-05 10:38 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

where on earth did you get a vertical grip for a D50? i didnt know they even made those!

D50
24-120mm VR ED Lens
80-200mm f/2.8 2 touch
18-70mm DX ED Lens
60mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor
SB-600 x 2/SU-800/SB-800

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 11:27 PM
#6. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

It's not a vertical grip, just a battery pack. Jenis make one (sold as Hahnel in UK, I think). Try searching on ebay.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Fri 09-Dec-05 04:20 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

The tag at the bottom of the protector (where the word Nikon is written) seems that it would stick out if you didn't have the battery grip fitted.
Can you post some pics without the battery grip please.
I'd like to do this mod and am just wondering if I would need to cut that tab off as well.
Thanks.

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Fri 09-Dec-05 12:04 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 7

hi everyone. yes the camera is a D50, Yes the battery pack is the hannel grip and yes the tab does stick out slightly at the bottom but probably not enough to be in the way. you could remove that part though if you wanted to.

Here is a pic without the grip (not very good pic i'm afraid)

http://usera.imagecave.com/system/showpicture.asp?u=wheelsofsteel&p=DSCF0443a.JPG&a=

hope it helps

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Fri 09-Dec-05 07:43 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 8

Melbourne, AU

Thanks.
I'll be taking the tag off I think.

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Sat 10-Dec-05 03:16 AM
#10. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 9

Hope the pic helped. It would have been nice if nikon could have made mounts on the camera casing like the D70 even if they did not want to supply one. I can understand there thinking on keeping cost down but at least we could have bought one as an add on without the hassle of moding one.

jcd94160 Registered since 26th Dec 2005Sat 31-Dec-05 07:29 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 0

ST-MANDE, FR

Hi,
where did you stick the pads? on the LCD edges or the body?

Jean-Christophe

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Sat 31-Dec-05 10:58 PM
#14. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 11

the pad at the bottom is bellow the small nikon logo and the top pad is at the very top off the lcd screen. i found it best to stick the pads to the protector first then carfully position it and irmly stick it in place. hope that helps.

Robhomer1 Registered since 21st Apr 2006Sat 31-Dec-05 01:47 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Question:

I'm new to digital, just got my D50 for X-mas. Also own and N65.

To protect the screen I purchased some screen protectors similar to what you would find on a PDA. but... I have seen a lot of comments on the D50 that the lack of a screen protector as found on the D70 is a disappointment.

Is there any difference in protection for one vs. the other?

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 31-Dec-05 01:51 PM
3211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 12

Camberley, GB

Has anyone tried the Delkin one http://www.delkin.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=310&cat=63&page=2 ? How does it attach? Is it just via the eyepiece?

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

espuna Registered since 07th Dec 2005Sun 01-Jan-06 06:22 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 13

Mazarrón, ES

There's a similar one here:

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/flip_up.asp#Nikon

Also prepared to ship worldwide (at a price! I can get a flight from Spain to UK for less)

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sun 01-Jan-06 08:55 AM
#15. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 12

Melbourne, AU

>Question:

>Is there any difference in protection for one vs. the other?

I personally still use a PDA screen protector. I haven't got around to building one as per the subject of this thread but I intend to shortly.
I far as I can see the PDA style protectors offer limited protection from scratches and the like but do not offer "solid" protection from knocks and bumps against other equipment or solid objects.
That said I must add that I do not own a camera bag, my camera travels on the floor under the drivers seat of my car, in a back pack with other items, in a standard bum bag (fanny pack I think you call them in the USA)with "stuff" or over my shoulder and the PDA protector is marked but the LCD screen is fine.

nissanspdr Registered since 12th Jan 2006Thu 12-Jan-06 06:47 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#17. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 15

Gainesville, US

For those who use PDA screen protectors...

Since it does not offer "solid" protection for the camera, you think someone who was more careful w/a soft case for the camera or a good camera bag could get away w/it provided they handled their camera well?

Yours truly,
Gabriel

www.freewebs.com/black300zx

dracodoc Registered since 28th Nov 2005Mon 16-Jan-06 08:59 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 17

University, US

Anybody tried this one?

http://www.daproducts.com/products.htm
$6+$2shipping.

looks like a thicker one than PDA screen protector, but less bulky than the D70 protector. I read good feedback about this product on a forum, they were using this to protect the canon SD400/500 LCD.

Lakota Registered since 25th Jun 2004Fri 27-Jan-06 01:09 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Bear, US

I want to thank aacycles for coming up with this idea, I just got my BM-5 from B&H Photo for 14.90 shipped, Modded the BM-5 Yesterday and installed this Morning. This thing looks Great, I did remove the very bottom tab, and the Cover looks like it was designed for the D50.
I looked at the other options, like Delkin and Harbortronics but I wanted something that looks like the cover on the D70. Besides, I don't have any cover to open to get to the menu. Yes, Before I get Flamed I read about the Harbortronics PRO cover, but this still looks better IMO. Now Nikon needs to make up some of these as an optional accessory for the D50. Thanks again to aacycles.

>Hi all. After trying PDA screen protectors for my D50 and
>not being happy with the results i decided to modify a D70s
>to fit my D50.
>If you decide to modify one for yours you will need a D70s
>(BM-5) LCD screen protector. You will then need to remove
>the bottom flange and part of the top flange (i used a
>dremel) on the screen protector so it sits flat on your
>cameras screen. You will then need to find some double sided
>pads (I used some cut down sigma cycle computer pads) and
>attach them to the screen protector at the very top and very
>bottom of the sceen protector. Try to use pads that are
>sticky enough to hold the screen on tight but not strong
>enough to damage the screen if you need to remove it. If you
>do need to remove it for any reason gently twist from side
>to side untill it becomes loose.
>
>Here are some pics of mine, comments welcome.
>
>http://usera.imagecave.com/system/showpicture.asp?u=wheelsofsteel&p=DSCF0436a.JPG&a=
>
>http://usera.imagecave.com/system/showpicture.asp?u=wheelsofsteel&p=DSCF0440a.JPG&a=

-When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the morning light, for your life and strength. Give thanks for your food, and the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies with yourself.
- Tecumseh, Shawnee Chief

-It is not neccessary for Eagles to become Crows.
- Sitting Bull, Lakota Medicine Chief

soupdragon Basic MemberFri 27-Jan-06 01:21 PM
#20. "RE: Modded D70s LCD Screen Protector For D50"
In response to Reply # 19

The first and second pictures aren't bad but the third seems a touch over exposed.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #944 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.