Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #9375
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which Lens Kit For My D50?" Previous topic | Next topic
Popcynical Registered since 03rd Aug 2006Thu 03-Aug-06 02:19 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which Lens Kit For My D50?"

So I'm looking to buy a d50, and I probably won't have enough to upgrade my lens for a couple more months.

Basically, I can either get the kit with the 18-55mm, or the 28-80mm. I'll pretty much be using this lens just for my general all-purpose lens, until I've got enough for the upgrade.

I've heard the 28-80mm lens isn't wide enough, but then I've heard the 18-55mm lens is cheap.

Your opinions on the subject are appreciated greatly

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which Lens Kit For My D50?
edmun
03rd Aug 2006
Popcynical
03rd Aug 2006
kd5boc
03rd Aug 2006
K1W1
03rd Aug 2006
Popcynical
03rd Aug 2006
kd5boc
03rd Aug 2006
briantilley Moderator
03rd Aug 2006
James23p Moderator
03rd Aug 2006

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 03-Aug-06 02:28 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which Lens Kit For My D50?"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=16202&forum=DCForumID201&viewmode=threaded is 19 posts about the same issue

ledmun

Popcynical Registered since 03rd Aug 2006Thu 03-Aug-06 04:27 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which Lens Kit For My D50?"
In response to Reply # 1

I checked that.. but nobody mentions the 28-80mm aside from in the first reply.

kd5boc Registered since 22nd Nov 2005Thu 03-Aug-06 05:34 AM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which Lens Kit For My D50?"
In response to Reply # 2

Abilene,

The 18-55 is a great lens. It "feels" cheap because it is a kit lens, but that does NOT mean the quality is cheap. It focuses extreely close, has a bit of barrel distortion at 18mm, and a slight bit of vignetting (light fall-off in the corners) at wide open aperture (f/5.6), but unless you compare it to another photo at f/8 or f/16, you won't see it.

Like was said, the 28-80, is more like a 42-120mm lens because of the 1.5x sensor crop factor. Decent, but considering even point-and Shoots start at about 35mm, you WILL want that extra bit on the bottom.

Go ahead and grab it. It's one hell of a bargain for such a good lens (comparison of price vs. quality.)

You can always do better in lenses, it just depends on how deep your pockets are.

Tom

---------------
What does your Mind's Eye show you?

Nikon D50
18-55 kit lens
Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 Macro
Mac OS X

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Thu 03-Aug-06 06:40 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which Lens Kit For My D50?"
In response to Reply # 3

Melbourne, AU

IMO the 28-80 is no wide enough if you only have one lens.

Popcynical Registered since 03rd Aug 2006Thu 03-Aug-06 06:54 AM
#5. "RE: Which Lens Kit For My D50?"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah, but it would really only be for like 2 or 3 months until I can get a 18-70mm..

kd5boc Registered since 22nd Nov 2005Thu 03-Aug-06 07:21 PM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which Lens Kit For My D50?"
In response to Reply # 5

Abilene,

I was in a similar situation...wanting the 18-70, but I decided against it. It does have a distance scale, but no depth-of-field markers. It does do 55-70mm, but you may never shoot in that area unless this is going to be your only lens...which for me is not.

I've got the 18-55, and a Sigma 70-300.
I'm either at 18mm, 35mm (for normal), 55 for short tele (which is being replaced by 50mm 1.8), at 90mm for portrait, or at 200-300 for telephoto/macro work.

I have yet to need that 55-70 range, and until I get the 18-200VR (good luck, LOL) I probably never will.

You can get some extras for that money you save.

Tom

---------------
What does your Mind's Eye show you?

Nikon D50
18-55 kit lens
Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 Macro
Mac OS X

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 03-Aug-06 06:59 AM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which Lens Kit For My D50?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

You'll find a lot of discussions about these, and other, lenses over in our Nikkors Forum

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Thu 03-Aug-06 12:08 PM
9080 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which Lens Kit For My D50?"
In response to Reply # 6

Memphis, US

I have to say you can not go wrong for the money getting the 18-55 AF-S kit lens. Even when you get a better lens this lens is so small and light it would make the perfect camping/hiking lens. I find mine excellent and a great value. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #9375 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.