Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #937
View in linear mode

Subject: "Remote flash sending unit" Previous topic | Next topic
mega Registered since 07th Dec 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 06:37 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Remote flash sending unit"

I've seen references to an extreemly cheap remote flash sending unit that works with all recent nikon cameras

does this exist?!?

what I need is a flash, for taking photos of fish in fishtanks, reflection is an issue, so I need to hold the flash away from the camera, off to the side and above works best when I did it with film

I would like to use an SB-600, even wired to the d50 is fine

when I have more money I'll be getting an R1C1, or at least an SU-800 for the sb-600

but for now, I need to remote flash a foot or two away from the D50, would an sb-600 and some cable (not sure which) do this for me?

I dont think the sb-800 really gives me anything I need, I could go with an sb-600 and add an sb-800 later and use the 800 as a commander

for now I need the cheapest remote flash that works fully with the d50

thanks in advance!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Remote flash sending unit
edmun
07th Dec 2005
mega
07th Dec 2005
edmun
08th Dec 2005
mega
08th Dec 2005
edmun
08th Dec 2005
jayswift
10th Dec 2005

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 07-Dec-05 07:57 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Remote flash sending unit"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

The only reliable solution is the SC-17, 28, 29 cords or a generic if you can find one.

I am not sure a macro flash is going to be as good a solution as the cord. I think it will just create a new set of different problems.

The macro flash may be too close to the lens and will bounce light back into the lens from the glass unless you are very close to the glass.

ledmun

mega Registered since 07th Dec 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 09:24 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Remote flash sending unit"
In response to Reply # 1

Does the SC29 give me anything?

I'm assuming the low light autofocus on the d50 will work fine with the SC-28, so there's no need to spend an extra 20 $

I think they made the sc-29 for cameras that dont have a built in low light af assist, but the d50 has one

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 08-Dec-05 01:22 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Remote flash sending unit"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

Hard question to answer. Do you want a bright light to show every time you want to take a picture.

I would think it would scare fish. I know I do not like it to use at weddings because I find it annoying.

I would think the fish would too.

Also if other people are taking pictures they might get annoyed.

ledmun

mega Registered since 07th Dec 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 02:04 AM
#4. "RE: Remote flash sending unit"
In response to Reply # 3

Not sure I understand

which one makes the bright light?

The lowlight af on the d50 doesnt seem to bright, is the one on the cable brighter?

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 08-Dec-05 04:20 AM
#5. "RE: Remote flash sending unit"
In response to Reply # 4

eugene, US

The SC 29's is red.

ledmun

jayswift Registered since 02nd Dec 2005Sat 10-Dec-05 06:33 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Remote flash sending unit"
In response to Reply # 4

yonkers, US

jayswift

hi dont mean to but in but i came to the same problem and i tried it all and then it happend the shot i wanted came true i did it with a 50mm nikon lens and a remote flash and a sb-600 set the flash on the side o the tank not in front the 50mm is a low light very fast lens @ f1.8 you can also get it f1.4 but very nice lense try it out cost is about $90.00 to $100.00 bucks from b&h

jayswift

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #937 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.