nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #916
View in linear mode

Subject: "Operating environment" Previous topic | Next topic
ZAVP Registered since 28th Nov 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 03:15 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Operating environment"

Grosse Pointe Farms, US

Hello everyone,

Have searched nikonians.org and have sent two emails to NikonUSA (no response) and am no further informed.

The D50 Manual (p. 132) describes the "Operating Environment" as between 32 and 104 degrees F (and humidity < 85%). Living in Michigan the temps (including the last two weeks) are frequently below 30 degrees this time of year. My questions: Should I not use the camera when temp is below freezing? Is there risk if I do? Is the risk major?

There are some terrific "photo ops" in the Winter here, but I don't want to damage the camera. And, Nikon has been of no help (is that common? -- when I was an Olyphile I was impressed with their communications).

Appreciate any guidance that anyone can offer.

Thanks so much!

Bob

Bob

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Operating environment
dwig
07th Dec 2005
edmun
07th Dec 2005
ZAVP
07th Dec 2005
ZAVP
07th Dec 2005
espuna
08th Dec 2005
Aphex
08th Dec 2005
ZAVP
08th Dec 2005
ZAVP
08th Dec 2005
nipprdog
09th Dec 2005
ZAVP
09th Dec 2005

dwig Registered since 30th May 2004Wed 07-Dec-05 03:38 AM
2215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Operating environment"
In response to Reply # 0

Key West, US

Attempting to operate the camera at lower than Nikon's stated "operating range" will not, in and of itself, hurt the camera. Nikon's statement is mainly saying that the camera may not function properly and if it doesn't, don't blame Nikon.

Batteries quickly loose preformance as temperature drops and the number of pics/charge quickly drops towards, and perhaps less than, one as the temp goes below zero. Autofocusing may slow and stall if the lens gets too cold and/or the battery gets too weak. You should attempt to keep the camera as warm as possible when in the field.

Also, you should take precautions to avoid moisture condensation on the camera both when you take the warm camera into a colder environment and when you bring a cold camera into a warm environment. The latter is the more dangerous situation. The camera should be allow ed to warm slowly and preferably inside of some protection that will shield if from condensation (burped ziplock bag, ...)

-----
dwig
nikonian in paradise
-----
use: cp8400, cp990, cp950
retired: F,ELW, 21mm, 45 f/2.8 GN
used to own: S2, SP, F2, F3, 20mm f/3.5, 35mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2.8, 43-86 f/3.5, 50mm f/2, 50 f/1.4 (for S2/SP), 55mm f/3.5 Micro, 105mm f/2.5, 105mm f/4 Micro, 300mm f/4.5, 180mm f/4.5 (for 4x5)

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 07-Dec-05 09:03 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Operating environment"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Some people from real cold places have had weird color responses that look like posterization but not all the time.

ledmun

ZAVP Registered since 28th Nov 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 10:54 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Operating environment"
In response to Reply # 2

Grosse Pointe Farms, US

Thanks for the observation, ledmun.

Bob

Bob

ZAVP Registered since 28th Nov 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 10:53 PM
#3. "RE: Operating environment"
In response to Reply # 1

Grosse Pointe Farms, US

Thank you for the good information and specifics. Very helpful and I appreciate it.

Bob

Bob

espuna Registered since 07th Dec 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 05:59 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Operating environment"
In response to Reply # 3

Mazarrón, ES

From an European Support Centre answer re: "Battery Life at Low Temperatures" (pretty much repeats manual/above posts)

"Nikon cameras are designed to operate under a range of environmental conditions. For many photographers, an important considerations is the performance of the batteries at temperatures outside of what may be considered to be the normal range (0 - 35 Celsius).

The general phenomenon which affects battery performance is the influence of temperature on the electrochemical processes within the battery: as the temperature drops, the chemical reactions within the battery which produce electricity slow down.

This has two results for the photographer:

The lower reactivity ensures that the rate of self-discharge within the electrolyte is reduced and therefore the battery holds its charge for a longer period. This increased shelf-life means that recharagble batteries will retain their charge for longer in cold weather conditions.Therefore, for storage of recharagable batteries, low temperatures are better.

The lower reactivity reduces the capacity of the battery making the total number of exposures less. The low temperature causes the so-called internal resistance of the batttery to increase so that the lower the temperature, the more energy is wasted in delivering power to the camera. At the point when the battery appears to be exhasuted, it may become useable again if warmed due to the reduction in internal resistance.

From this information it can be deduced that batteries are best stored at cold temperatures (although the effect of short periods of exposure to elevated temperatures will not be noticeable) and should be warmed before use and maintained at as high a temperature as possible whilst actually in use.

Please be aware of the adverse effects of condensation when moving cold equipment into a warm, moist atmosphere: airborne water will become deposited on the internal surfaces of the camera and may affect performance, particularly of optical components and sensitive micro-electronics.

Aphex Registered since 30th Oct 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 06:29 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Operating environment"
In response to Reply # 5

NL

Also watch out with lensen with Extra low Dispersion (ED) fluorite elements. If those elements cool down too fast, they can get damaged.

Edit: sorry, I ment APO (apochromatic) fluorite glass elements, mostly found in tele's and refractor telescopes. Not all ED elements are APO elements, although APO elements are ED. Got the terms mixed up .

ZAVP Registered since 28th Nov 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 06:54 PM
#8. "RE: Operating environment"
In response to Reply # 6

Grosse Pointe Farms, US

Aphex,

Thanks for the info. In fact I do have an ED lens. Much appreciated.

Bob

Bob

ZAVP Registered since 28th Nov 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 06:53 PM
#7. "RE: Operating environment"
In response to Reply # 5

Grosse Pointe Farms, US

espuna,

Thanks so much for the research and the information. Very much appreciated

Bob

Bob

nipprdog Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 09-Dec-05 12:24 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Operating environment"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Also, you should take precautions to avoid moisture
>condensation on the camera both when you take the warm
>camera into a colder environment and when you bring a cold
>camera into a warm environment. The latter is the more
>dangerous situation. The camera should be allow ed to warm
>slowly and preferably inside of some protection that will
>shield if from condensation (burped ziplock bag, ...)

I've always used a ziplock bag when coming in from the cold.

what precautions do you take when going out into the cold?

thanks

ZAVP Registered since 28th Nov 2005Fri 09-Dec-05 03:04 PM
#10. "RE: Operating environment"
In response to Reply # 9

Grosse Pointe Farms, US

>I've always used a ziplock bag when coming in from the cold.
>
>what precautions do you take when going out into the cold?
>
>thanks

Well, nipprdog, I've not taken the D50 out because of the cold.

When I used my C-8080, I would gradually cool down the inside temp in my vehicle to take it out, and then reverse the procedure when I took it home. Lenghty (and with today's gas prices, costly) procedure. The ziploc bag sounds much more efficient.

Thanks.

Bob

Bob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #916 Previous topic | Next topic