Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #911
View in linear mode

Subject: "??? SB-600 ???" Previous topic | Next topic
picture_dude Registered since 21st Nov 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 12:46 AM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"??? SB-600 ???"

Newport News, US

I have just purchased the D50 and need a good flash, I have been looking at the sb-600, but would like to know if there is a third party unit that will do everything the 600 will. I have found the 600 for about 189.00 including shipping, which is not bad but if I can get off cheaper my wife would be happy! LOL
Thanks for any help in advance, by the way this site is great, tons of good info.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DofN Registered since 06th Dec 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 02:40 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ??? SB-600 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Belmont, US

You can get it here http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NKSB600 for about $175. I don't know about third party flashes, all I know is that the SB600 is pretty awesome. It fires off very quickly. I have a couple friends with Cannon DSLR's and Cannon flashes, and they were very impressed by how fast the SB600 recharged and fired off. It is a great flash, and I can't tell you how much of difference it makes in your shots.

In my experience, my wife would rather me pay a bit more and get something that works well, rather than paying less and just having to 'upgrade' later on.

Plus if you show her ALL the nifty features of the flash, she will be so happy when you leave her alone that the minimal cost difference between the SB600 and some other flash will be forgotten! (it worked for me)

BillKen Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 02:09 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ??? SB-600 ???"
In response to Reply # 1

Make sure you understand the differences between the Sb600 and Sb800 - I ended up getting a 800 (even though it's a lot more money) - and once you understand the differences (especially when mated with a D50) you might just do the same.

vsrinu30 Registered since 26th Nov 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 03:52 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ??? SB-600 ???"
In response to Reply # 2

I was also looking at SB-600 & SB-800 Flash for D50 which i am going to own it very soon. But I have come to know that SB-600 will not work remotely with out having SU-800 Remote Commander for D50, is that true ?. If so then SB-800 will that work remotely without having SU-800 Remote Commander ?. Please any one clarify me. Thanks in adavance.

BillKen Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 08:54 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: ??? SB-600 ???"
In response to Reply # 3

As I understand it you can control an off-camera SB-600 (or 800 for that matter) with a SB-800 (or SU commander) on the D50. The D50 does not have the built-in "commander mode" that the D70/D70s does - so regardless - you'll need either an SU or SB-800 to do any off-camera flash work. Except in SU-4 Mode. One additional bonus on the SB-800 over the 600 is SU-4 mode - which allows you to fire the SB-800 remotely by any camera having a flash and also allows you to use your on-board flash and the SB-800 as two flashes. I'm no expert but that's what I've gathered from my research.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #911 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.