Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #899
View in linear mode

Subject: "Possible flash sync problem" Previous topic | Next topic
spilot77 Registered since 06th Dec 2005Tue 06-Dec-05 09:26 PM
154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Possible flash sync problem"

Gadsden, US

I have am having an intermitant problem with pictures taken using the built-in flash. The problem is that the top 1/8 to 1/2 of the image will be darker than the bottom portion on some photos, some but not all.

Nikon says:
1.Use a fully charged battery. - I always do.
2.Use a Nikon recommended SD card - It is not, but is a good quality Kingston card with fast transfer speed.
3.If all else fails reset the camera and if the problem persists it may be something with the lens.

Last night I took 40-50 flash pics just to see if there was any pattern to the problem. I had the dark image problem with the first few and everything was fine after that.

FYI, I am using the 18-55mm lens, automatic everything.

I'd appreciate any ideas/suggestions?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Possible flash sync problem
avm247 Moderator
06th Dec 2005
Reply message RE: Possible flash sync problem
edmun
06th Dec 2005
     Reply message Here is a link
spilot77
07th Dec 2005
          Reply message RE: Here is a link
avm247 Moderator
07th Dec 2005
BJNicholls Gold Member
07th Dec 2005
edmun
07th Dec 2005
Drewhound
08th Dec 2005
                    Reply message Thanks for the help
spilot77
08th Dec 2005
                         Reply message RE: Thanks for the help
Drewhound
08th Dec 2005
avm247 Moderator
08th Dec 2005
edmun
09th Dec 2005

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 06-Dec-05 09:52 PM
18404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Possible flash sync problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Sounds like light fall off or vignetting.

Are you using a lens hood?
What are you shooting an image of?
Can you post an example?

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 06-Dec-05 10:59 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Possible flash sync problem"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Your problem does not make sense. If it were vignetting it would be the bottom of the picture.

Please post a sample -- this is most puzzeling.

ledmun

spilot77 Registered since 06th Dec 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 05:09 AM
154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Here is a link"
In response to Reply # 2

Gadsden, US

http://www.homestead.com/etowaheagle/DSC_0242_small.jpg

The image was captured in jpeg format. I've reduced the file size for quicker downloading using a Microsoft program.

The picture on the link was taken inside of a National Guard armory at 10 feet or so. I've had the same problem on photos taken in small room at six feet.

<I edited the link, the pictures seems to work now>

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 07-Dec-05 03:29 PM
18404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Here is a link"
In response to Reply # 3

Rancho Cordova, US

Sorry, I'm not seeing the image, just a red X.

Anthony

"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 07-Dec-05 07:33 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Here is a link"
In response to Reply # 3

Salt Lake City, US

A hood shadow would be the opposite of this shadow. This looks to me like the flash is only iluminating the lower 2/3 of the image. The color shift at top says it's not getting flash illumination - this area is getting its color from the ambient lighting.

My guess? Were you wearing a hat? Either the flash isn't popping up to the full height and it's pointing downward slightly or the brim of your hat pushed it down a little bit. Check the pop-up action on your built-in flash.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 07-Dec-05 07:49 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Here is a link"
In response to Reply # 5

eugene, US

I have trouble shot profesional strobe problems for over 30 years and I have never seen anything like this.

Time to call Nikon at 1-800-645-6689

I have thought about the mirror not going up all the way but the effect is on the wrong part of the image.

ledmun

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Thu 08-Dec-05 12:18 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Here is a link"
In response to Reply # 6

A faulty flash synch perhaps? Maybe a poor lens/body connection or simply a faulty camera

spilot77 Registered since 06th Dec 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 04:17 AM
#8. "Thanks for the help"
In response to Reply # 7

Gadsden, US

I have not been able to repeat the problem using the 55-200 lens. I have been able to repeat it using the 18-55 lens but just now I shot at least 100 consecutive shots without the problem.

In regards to some earlier comments, no I wasn't wearing a hat and the flash unit was in the full up position.

I'll try it through Christmas beforing giving Nikon another call.

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Thu 08-Dec-05 11:26 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Thanks for the help"
In response to Reply # 8

It is possible that you just had a bad connection on one of the contacts between camera and lens and changing them has cured it.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 08-Dec-05 05:58 PM
#10. "RE: Here is a link"
In response to Reply # 3

Rancho Cordova, US

It seems to me as if the pop up flash is not in the fully upright position. But you said that it was...

The longer zoom has a narrower angle of view so it may be that the flash is still vignetting but it doesn't matter as you are recording a smaller area of the scene vs. a wider angle lens.

I think the flash is somehow faulty. Perhaps a reflector is out of alignment.

The only fix I can think of now would be to use an accessory speedlight (SB-600 or SB-800) and then have the camera (and possibly the lens) sent to Nikon for warranty repair as it is obviously not performing as it should.

Anthony

Anthony

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 09-Dec-05 12:24 AM
#11. "RE: Here is a link"
In response to Reply # 10

eugene, US

What bothers me most about image is how sharp the demarkation between flash and no flash is.

If the flash was in the wrong position it would be a lot softer and more graduated. I know, I have had flashes in the wrong position for close up shots of wedding rings.

The other thing that bothers me is how close the two exposures are to each other so it is not a flash synch problem. When that happens with film cameras, the demarkation is black and the other part properly exposed.

I do not know what this is but it is not simple. Those problems I have seen only too often and there are other experts on this board who would have been able to say it is XXXX and that would be the end of the thread.

I would like to know what this finally is.

ledmun

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #899 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.