Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #8909
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which Lens Should I get" Previous topic | Next topic
scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Sat 15-Jul-06 10:43 AM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which Lens Should I get"

Ashburn, US

I know this question has been asked many times and I've done tons of reading on what people recommend but I am just plain stuck. I have a D50 with a 28-80 and 70-300. Both came with the kit. I'm looking for one lens to replace both. I take mostly photographs of my family even though I’m starting to get into taking other types of pictures such as nature, buildings, sunsets, etc. Unfortunately, the 18-200 VR is out of my price range. I've been considering the following:

- Nikon 28-200 f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF
- Tamron 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
- Tamron 28-200 F3.8-5.6
- Tamron AF 28-300 F/3.5-6.3 XR Di
- Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
- Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG Macro

Can anyone recommend one of these or another lens based on my situation?
Thanks
Scott

Regards,
Scott

http://www.scottlubow.com
A Washington D.C. Area Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which Lens Should I get
mfa
15th Jul 2006
kodak_jack
15th Jul 2006
K1W1
15th Jul 2006
MotoMannequin Moderator
15th Jul 2006
MasterDabber Silver Member
15th Jul 2006
scottl
15th Jul 2006
Reding
15th Jul 2006
kgendron12
15th Jul 2006
scottl
15th Jul 2006
kgendron12
15th Jul 2006
tooki
20th Jul 2006
hertz
16th Jul 2006
scottl
20th Jul 2006
MotoMannequin Moderator
20th Jul 2006
ClickCardo Silver Member
22nd Jul 2006
C2020
17th Jul 2006

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 15-Jul-06 11:33 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 0

Pelennor Fields, US

I've got the Nikon 28-200mm lens and I use it 90% of the time. It's a very good lens. It's smaller & lighter than the Nikon 18-200mm VR.

There are a number of times, however, when I pull out my 18-55mm Nikon kit lens for the extra wide-angle range. Mostly for indoors and broad landscapes.

So, for me, if I could only have one lens it would be an 18-200mm. The Nikon would be best, but it's pricey and has a long waiting period. I think the other 2 run around $400 or so new.

I think the extra 200-300mm range is only useful if you are carrying around a tripod or if the lens has VR. Otherwise, I wouldn't want to carry around the extra weight all the time.

If you think you can get by with 28-200mm range, I would go for the Nikon. You could probably pick one up used for $250 or so.

kodak_jack Registered since 15th Dec 2005Sat 15-Jul-06 12:01 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 0

Hilton (Rochester), US

I have the Nikon 28-80 that I got with the camera and I don't think it's quite wide enough. I'd get an 18MM to whatever Tamron. I've had their lenses on my Olympus OM-1 and liked them. My other comment would be that I have an 80 to 210 Tamron on that Olympus and very rarely use it. I shoot scenics, nature, etc. and use a 28 to 70 lens on it.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 15-Jul-06 12:20 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 2

Melbourne, AU

One of the beautie sof the DSLR is the ability to be able to use different lenses for different occasions. If you truely only want one lens a mega zoom P&S may actually be a better option.
If you have a tight budget I would go for the Sigma 18-125 or 17-70. I would sell the Nikon 28-80 to offset the cost and keep the 70-300 for more range.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sat 15-Jul-06 05:46 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 3

Livermore, CA, US

K1W1 gives good advice. The whole point of an SLR is to be able to chose the best lens for the job. If you were to choose 1 lens for all occasions, then a high-end fixed lens P&S camera would probably give you more bang for the buck.

Usually when someone starts with his or her first SLR, there is an urge to buy new lenses, and IMO this urge is natural but usually misdirected at the idea of upgrading to the "perfect" do-all zoom. I think it's a better approach to just take a lot of pictures with your existing lenses, and thereby learn where your kit is lacking, then buy a specialized lens for the type of shooting you do most.

If you've decided that you don't like changing lenses, then take a look at what focal lengths you usually use. If you find yourself at 28mm a lot, then that's an indication that you need something wider. If you rarely find yourself above 200mm, then the Nikkor 28-200 is a fine lens that will serve you well, or a used Nikkor 18-70 will get you a very good lens with more on the wide end and a great complement to your 70-300.

But if you like to take pictures of your kids then maybe you should consider a specialized lens, like an Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D or Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D for portraits, or maybe Nikkor 35mm f/2.0D or Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for indoor/low light pictures. Again look at what focal lengths you're using and this will instruct you where to go.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
Please visit my Nikonians gallery

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 15-Jul-06 05:58 PM
3257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 4

Camberley, GB

I see you plan to shoot buildings... in many (if not most) cases you may need to have at least as wide a lens at 18mm in your bag.
Derek
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Sat 15-Jul-06 06:09 PM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 5

Ashburn, US

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your help. I am kind of looking for an all in one carry around lens. Especially for places like Disney World and the beach.
Scott

Regards,
Scott

Reding Basic MemberSat 15-Jul-06 06:33 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 6

Mason City, US

If that is what you are looking for, I have a less than a year old Coolpix 8700 & accessories I'll sell you.

Reding, A Midwest Nikonian
"What the imagination seizes as beauty must be true, whether it existed before or not."

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Sat 15-Jul-06 08:24 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 7

Burlington, US

I would stay away from the Sigma and Tamron 18-200. Both are very bad once you get past 135/150. They are not as good at focusing (missing alot) and have a lot of barrel distortion and other issues.

For a place like Disney (if you can't find and/or afford the Nikon 18-200mm) the Sigma 18-125mm will do for the vast majority of your pictures. I'd also take along a 70-300mm for Animal Kingdom. A lot of the animals will be a good distance away and the extra reach will be good.

Like others have said, with a dSLR don't limit yourself to 1 all purpose lens. I would also highly recommend the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. You can't beat it for the price. Great it low light situations and it is very sharp.

I would definatly have something that goes to at least 18mm though.

Another great combination of lenses, Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8. If you have the cash of course.

My D50 Gallery:
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/

My Disney World Gallery (2006 trip all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)

D300 / D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Sat 15-Jul-06 10:33 PM
#9. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 8

Ashburn, US

Great thanks for the information that is very helpful. What lens did you take the safari pictures with? I was afraid of blur with the 70-300 because of the bus shake. I don't mind changing lenses when I'm at home. I thought that an all purpose lens would be good when you are trying to carry minimum gear like Disney. I guess if I could afford the 17-55mm f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8. I could afford the 18-200 VR.

And I don't want a point and shoot like the coolpix. Even though I wanted to have one all purpose lens, I still like having control over the aperture and shutter speed.

Let me ask a really dumb question. How much difference is there between an 18 and 28 mm? The numbers seem too close together to matter. Obviously it does, but i'm such a newbie, I don't know.
Scott

Regards,
Scott

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Sat 15-Jul-06 11:52 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 9

Burlington, US

I used my 70-300mm Quantaray lens for the safari ride and other animal treks around the park. I did have a few to many that didn't come out because of camera shake, but I also had some that came out great. (hopefully I'll have enough time to save up for the 70-200 2.8 VR and 1.4 TC before our next trip possibly next year, or maybe Nikon will release a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 with VR later this year {rumor has it}). Use ISO 800 or 1600 to get the fastest possible shutter speed.

There is a noticable difference between 18mm & 28mm. Enough so that I ditched my 28-90mm lens and bought a Nikon 18-70mm. 28mm on the D50 is the equilivent to 42mm on a film slr and 18mm is the equilivent of 27mm. You see the difference better when you compare 27mm to 42mm.

My D50 Gallery:
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/

My Disney World Gallery (2006 trip all with Nikon D50)

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)

D300 / D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

tooki Registered since 22nd Jan 2006Thu 20-Jul-06 03:51 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 3

Baltimore, US

>One of the beautie sof the DSLR is the ability to be able to
>use different lenses for different occasions. If you truely
>only want one lens a mega zoom P&S may actually be a better
>option.

Nonsense.

Sure, lens flexibility is a great reason for getting a DSLR. But even if you only ever get one lens (say, an 18-200 VR), there are still plenty of other reasons for getting a DSLR over a P&S. Low noise at high ISO is one. But the one that really comes to mind is performance, e.g. focusing speed, shutter lag, etc. NO P&S digital camera on the market comes anywhere close to a DSLR in those respects, not even the $1000 Sony R1 with a huge Zeiss lens and APS-C size sensor. It looks like a great camera on paper, but its shooting performance is that of a junky $200 model.

To recommend to someone that they are not worthy of a DSLR simply because they want a good walk-around lens is preposterous.

antonio

hertz Registered since 12th Jun 2006Sun 16-Jul-06 09:15 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 0

Ithaca, US

I cannot see any reason to "upgrade" or "replace" if you cannot go to better lenses.

You might think of replace your Nikon 28-80mm with a used Nikon 18-70mm or a new Sigma 17-70mm, or simply go Tamron 28-75mm or Tamron 17-50mm.

Otherwise, you might not benefit much from such an upgrade.

>I know this question has been asked many times and I've done
>tons of reading on what people recommend but I am just plain
>stuck. I have a D50 with a 28-80 and 70-300. Both came
>with the kit. I'm looking for one lens to replace both. I
>take mostly photographs of my family even though I’m
>starting to get into taking other types of pictures such as
>nature, buildings, sunsets, etc. Unfortunately, the 18-200
>VR is out of my price range. I've been considering the
>following:
>
>- Nikon 28-200 f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF
>- Tamron 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
>- Tamron 28-200 F3.8-5.6
>- Tamron AF 28-300 F/3.5-6.3 XR Di
>- Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
>- Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG Macro
>
>Can anyone recommend one of these or another lens based on
>my situation?
>Thanks
>Scott

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Thu 20-Jul-06 11:55 AM
#13. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 11

Ashburn, US

As far as quality is the Sigma 17-70mm or Tamron 28-75mm or Tamron 17-50mm equal to the Nikon 18-70?
Thanks
Scott

Regards,
Scott

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 20-Jul-06 04:35 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#15. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 13

Livermore, CA, US

I used this review of the Sigma to chose the Nikkor:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1770_2845/index.htm

Interestingly others read the same review and chose the Sigma. I'll share my reasoning:

The Nikkor is faster focusing and has instant manual focus override just by twisting the focus ring (no switch to throw). This is a very big deal to me.

The Sigma is ˝ stop faster, but according to that review, very poor wide open. I figured I wouldn't get much use from that ˝ stop. YMMV

The Sigma is 1mm wider, not a big deal to me because I own a Sigma 10-20mm.

The Sigma offers macro mode, which might be useful if you think you'd use it. I use my 50mm f/1.8D with Kenko tubes for macro, and I plan on a Sigma 150mm macro soon.

The Sigma is more expensive. Compounded by the fact that the Nikkor is readily available used. I ended up with a used Nikkor 18-70 in excellent condition for $200.

HTH

Please visit my Nikonians gallery

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

ClickCardo Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2005Sat 22-Jul-06 11:52 PM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 13

Upstate, US

>As far as quality is the Sigma 17-70mm or Tamron 28-75mm or
>Tamron 17-50mm equal to the Nikon 18-70?
>Thanks
>Scott

I originally had the nikon 18-70. Then I bought the Tamaron 28-75. Then I sold the nikon. Question answered.

Richard, Win7, OS X, D700, Nikon/Sigma glass

C2020 Registered since 20th May 2006Mon 17-Jul-06 03:56 PM
267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Which Lens Should I get"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I agree, an 18mm is a good wide angle to have on your walk around lens. The Sigma 18-125 is strongly endorsed on the dcresouce.com forum. It would certainly provide a good range for general use. The sigma 70-300 APO is also a respected and affordable long lens. Many people use sigmaforless.com for their purchases.

I use a nikon 24-85 as my walk around. I love the quality of photos it produces but I do wish it had a longer reach than 85mm. I'll eventually get the Nikon 18-200mmVR to replace this one but that's a few years down the road. For now I zoom in and out with my feet to compensate for the 24-85's limited range or I switch to a nikon 70-210 I have in my camera bag.

Good luck in photography,

Bob

Bob
D90, Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 D,Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 micro, Kenko Pro 1.4x teleconverter, etc...

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #8909 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.