nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #8798
View in linear mode

Subject: ""Err" message when pressing the shutter release" Previous topic | Next topic
jimitav   Thessaloniki, GR  Registered since 11th Jul 2006 Tue 11-Jul-06 08:59 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""Err" message when pressing the shutter release"

Hello everybody.

After about 7000 shots with my D50, I have the following problem:

When I press the shutter release button, the mirror locks-up and an "Err" message appears blinking on the screen (and in the viewfinder as well).

Nothing happens after that, unless I press the shutter release again and the mirror returns in its place and the camera seems to be fine.

Before I take the camera to my local Nikon dealer, I would like to ask if anyone knows what could be the problem with my camera.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release idelsoni
11th Jul 2006
Reply message RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release jimitav
12th Jul 2006
12th Jul 2006
13th Jul 2006
14th Jul 2006
Reply message RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release Reding
16th Jul 2006
17th Jul 2006
Reply message RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release mfa
17th Jul 2006
Reply message RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release kd5boc
17th Jul 2006

idelsoni   Richboro, US  Registered since 28th Nov 2005 Tue 11-Jul-06 04:36 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release"
In response to Reply # 0

I just had a similar problem with my D70 after only 1300 shots. My problem was slightly different. I would get the Err message when pressing the shutter release button but I"m not sure if the mirror locked up or not as I didn't hear anything. When pressing the shutter release button a second time, it sounded as if the shutter tripped twice. I believe it didn't write anything to the CF Card as the number of exposures in the LCD never changed.

Fortunately the camera is still under the original Nikon warranty as I only purchased it in Nov.

I've checked status of my camera on the Nikon service website this repair is listed as a category B2 repair which is described as "Moderate Repair: Major Parts Replaced"

Good luck with your camera.

Ira Idelson

jimitav   Thessaloniki, GR  Registered since 11th Jul 2006 Wed 12-Jul-06 10:05 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release"
In response to Reply # 1

>I just had a similar problem with my D70 after only 1300
>shots. My problem was slightly different. I would get the
>Err message when pressing the shutter release button but I"m
>not sure if the mirror locked up or not as I didn't hear
>anything. When pressing the shutter release button a second
>time, it sounded as if the shutter tripped twice. I believe
>it didn't write anything to the CF Card as the number of
>exposures in the LCD never changed.
>
>Fortunately the camera is still under the original Nikon
>warranty as I only purchased it in Nov.
>
>I've checked status of my camera on the Nikon service
>website this repair is listed as a category B2 repair which
>is described as "Moderate Repair: Major Parts Replaced"
>
>Good luck with your camera.
>
>
>Ira Idelson

Thank you very much for your answer. I suppose you do not know what these "Major Parts" were, right?

idelsoni   Richboro, US  Registered since 28th Nov 2005 Wed 12-Jul-06 10:53 AM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release"
In response to Reply # 2

>Thank you very much for your answer. I suppose you do not
>know what these "Major Parts" were, right?

No, I don't know yet. The online status of my order is still "In Shop".
The information on the website is at least 24 hrs behind the actual work. My freind's D200 was recently in for service and when he checked status on Monday July 3 it was "In Shop". Tues July 4 was a holiday and his camera showed up on Wed July 5.

On the Nikon service website, clicking on the ! at the top of the CAT column gave me the infor "Moderate Repair: Major Parts Replaced".

The Description column says "Service Repair Rank B2" and clicking on the ! at the top of that columns tells me "If Parts Available - Depending on the age of the product, some orders will display this message when replacement parts are limited" I'm not sure what this means.

I don't know yet what part or parts they will be replacing but I'm guessing it is all or part of the shutter/mirror lock up mechanism.

When I get the camera back, if there is a detailed description of the work done and parts replaced, I will post it. Since my repair is a warranty repair the charge is listed as $0.00, so I wouldn't be able to give you an idea of the repair cost.

Hang in there!

Ira Idelson

idelsoni   Richboro, US  Registered since 28th Nov 2005 Thu 13-Jul-06 04:25 PM
#4. "RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release"
In response to Reply # 3

>Thank you very much for your answer. I suppose you do not
>know what these "Major Parts" were, right?

I just spoke to Nikon Tech service because the website listed the status of my camera as "Bill". Since this is a no charge warranty repair I called to find out what is up. Turns out Bill means the repair is finished and they are just generating the paperwork. The tech rep had access to all the service info and told me that they replaced the metering FPC board; adjusted/repaired autofocus and did a thourough cleaning of the camera.

Good luck with yours.
Ira Idelson

jimitav   Thessaloniki, GR  Registered since 11th Jul 2006 Fri 14-Jul-06 07:59 AM
#5. "RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks again for your answer... metering FPC board? I see.

Well I'm taking it to my local Nikon dealer today... let's see...

Until it's fixed, I'm back to my old FE10...

Reding   Mason City, US  Basic Member Sun 16-Jul-06 09:21 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't mean to be a smart-aleck, but I had the same problem with my D50 just yesterday. I did a quick change of the batteries and it has worked fine since.

Reding, A Midwest Nikonian
"What the imagination seizes as beauty must be true, whether it existed before or not."

jimitav   Thessaloniki, GR  Registered since 11th Jul 2006 Mon 17-Jul-06 08:54 AM
#9. "RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release"
In response to Reply # 6

>I don't mean to be a smart-aleck, but I had the same problem
>with my D50 just yesterday. I did a quick change of the
>batteries and it has worked fine since.

I have tried that, but it didn't work. I've also tried changing lenses...

mfa   Pelennor Fields, US  Registered since 19th Nov 2005 Mon 17-Jul-06 12:37 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release"
In response to Reply # 0

Slightly OT, but is there a way to see the number of shots taken on a D50?

kd5boc   Abilene,   Registered since 22nd Nov 2005 Mon 17-Jul-06 08:46 AM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: "Err" message when pressing the shutter release"
In response to Reply # 7

>Slightly OT, but is there a way to see the number of shots
>taken on a D50?

What does the last filename say? That should be your number of shots unless you changed a setting.

Tom

---------------
What does your Mind's Eye show you?

Nikon D50
18-55 kit lens
Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 Macro
Mac OS X

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #8798 Previous topic | Next topic