Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #879
View in linear mode

Subject: "Favorite equipment websites?" Previous topic | Next topic
gjm75 Registered since 06th Dec 2005Tue 06-Dec-05 05:38 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Favorite equipment websites?"

Ogden, US

What are your favorite sites for buying nikon lenses and equipment?

To explain, I am worse than a beginner. I know nothing. I have only had my D50 for 1 day now, from what I read here it was a really good choice. I have the 18-55mm lens that came with the kit and nothing else. I am hoping that if I can look through your favorite websites I can get a general feel for the price and availability for different hardware. The best I have found so far is poking around Amazon.com. If anyone has any advice on sites that would explain ISO and what 18-55mm means I would also appreciate it. From what I have read here, a lot of it is way way above my head.

So you all know, I will come out of the closet. I am upgrading from an Olympus D-510. That is extremely powerful (lol, I love sarcasm) 2.1 megapixel camera with a AF ZOOM 5.4-16.2mm 1:2.8-4.4 lense (again I have no idea what that means). PLEASE...... no laughter.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

F80 Basic MemberTue 06-Dec-05 10:34 AM
7082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Favorite equipment websites?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Hi Greg and welcome to Nikonians. This is a great place to get answers to your questions.

I'd recommend you start by reading How does a digital camera work? (by Nikonian moderator and prolific author Digital Darrell) and then investigate some other articles in the Nikonians Resources area.

If you want to know what hardware works for people, just ask here. Check out the Nikkors forum for info about lenses, the Speedlights forum for info about flashes, the Tripods forum for - you guessed it - tripods.

If you want to buy a book to learn more, check out some recommended titles in the Nikonians Bookshelves.

Cheers.

F80

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

fix eye Registered since 05th Nov 2005Tue 06-Dec-05 10:41 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Favorite equipment websites?"
In response to Reply # 0

www.kenrockwell.com This is the site they recommended to me after my first post, It helped me a lot and hope it helps you too.

Welcome to Nikonians and congratulations for your new D50

Cheers,

Jerome

phillyguy Registered since 03rd Nov 2005Tue 06-Dec-05 02:45 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Favorite equipment websites?"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

First off, welcome to Nikonians. As you've begun to find, this site is amazing and the people are very helpful.

I'll second the motion on the Ken Rockwell site, and add Thom Hogan's site (http://www.bythom.com/).

Also, I would highly recommend the series of books written by Bryan Petterson, starting with 'Understanding Exposure'. His pictures are amazing (my opinion) and his narrative is very understandable. He also shows multiple iterations of pictures to demonstrate what he is saying.

Jason
Philadelphia Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #879 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.