Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #868
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question" Previous topic | Next topic
tvkz Registered since 05th Dec 2005Mon 05-Dec-05 09:03 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question"

Lafayette, US

I bought the D50 lens kit with the Nikkor 18-55mm DX f3.5-5.6 G ED AF-S Lens and the Nikkor 55-200mm DX f/4-5.6G G IF-ED Lens. I purchased from Abes of Maine. Anyway, one of the people called me to make sure my order was correct... Anyway, he told me the Nikkor "kit" lenses aren't the best quality he could upgrade them to Sigma Lenses: Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC and Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC for $40 more per lens. So for $80 I would be getting better quality pictures. Is he right? I went ahead and upgraded them, but I can return them if I want to. What is your opinion. I'm sooooo just learning. I appreciate everyone's knowlege If you read this far THANKS a bunch!
Thanks! Kristin

Thanks! Kristin

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question
briantilley Moderator
05th Dec 2005
Shred
05th Dec 2005
tvkz
06th Dec 2005
edmun
06th Dec 2005
avm247 Moderator
06th Dec 2005
DofN
06th Dec 2005
tvkz
07th Dec 2005
debarshiduttagupta
06th Dec 2005
DofN
07th Dec 2005
DofN
08th Dec 2005

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 05-Dec-05 10:14 PM
28918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Hi Kristin, and welcome!

I'm not close to US pricing, but in the UK at least, the Sigma lenses you mention are considerably cheaper than the two Nikkors. One dealer that I use is selling the two Sigmas together for the same price as the 55-200mm Nikkor on its own.

The Sigma lenses also do not have AF-S focusing like the Nikkors, so even though this is not the "full" AF-S like the pro Nikkors, the Sigmas would probably be slower to focus.

I have no knowledge of the store you mention, but I suspect that the salesman was not entirely honest with you. It may be that their commission is higher on Sigma lenses.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 05-Dec-05 10:22 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question"
In response to Reply # 0

FI

I wouldnt swith cheap Nikkors to cheap Sigmas.
Lenses propably produce very similar results so paying extra is not smart thing to do.
(i might be wrong though so dont do anything just based on my opinion)
One thing is certain, it is possible to take great shots with both Sigma and Nikkor lenses.

If i would have to replace the kit lens with sigma i would choose the 18-50 f2.8.

tvkz Registered since 05th Dec 2005Tue 06-Dec-05 01:58 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question"
In response to Reply # 2

Lafayette, US

Thanks for the info... I will send back the sigma lenses and have them send me the Nikkors. I appreciate your help! Kristin

Thanks! Kristin

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 06-Dec-05 02:26 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question"
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

I checked several sites regarding pricing and as near as I can tell both Sigma lens sell for $40 less than the Nikon lens.

Do a check on either B and H photo and KEH.com photo for package prices - you may find that all there prices are high.

ledmun

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 06-Dec-05 03:01 AM
18518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Kristin, sorry to hear of all the "bait and switch" that Abe's of Maine is apparently trying to pull on you. The Nikkors aren't the best but they are good for the money. I certainly would not change them for Sigma's offerings.

Before purchasing online, be sure to check www.resellerratings.com.

Here are links to the D50, 18-55DX and the 55-200DX.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

DofN Registered since 06th Dec 2005Tue 06-Dec-05 03:07 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question"
In response to Reply # 0

Belmont, US

Hey Kristin,
I too just recently got my D50 from Abe's of Maine. The camera is great! Abe's prices are great! Abe's salespeople are NOT great. They totally tried to upsell me on the lens kit, to get me to switch to the Sigma 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 lens kit for $100.00 more! When I asked why the Sigma lens was better, he said said that the Sigma's are made in Japan and some of the Nikkor lenses are made in Thailand. But when I asked him why every the price difference, he stuttered around a bit and said that the Sigma kit comes with an extra battery and a case. (a VERY cheap case) In a nutshell, NOT WORTH IT. Everywhere I have seen, the Sigma lens costs LESS (around $100) than the Nikon lens. EXCEPT at Abe's where it is $229!!! Regardless to say I opted to stay with the Nikon 18-55mm and have been very pleased with it.

Do your research and know what you need to get, then order it from Abe's and don't listen to anything they say. The salesguy tried to tell me that older Nikkor lenses would not work at all on the D50. This is absolutely false. But it was his way of trying to get me to buy another lens from him.

BTW, they do have great prices, I would definitely recommend getting the SB-600 flash. I got mine from Abes for 180 after shipping. But again, the guy tried to tell me that I needed to get colored lens filters with it. Yeah right! I think that www.buydig.com has it for a very comprable price. http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NKSB600 ($172 at Abes $175 at Buydig, but I don't know what Buydig charges for shipping)

tvkz Registered since 05th Dec 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 12:23 AM
#8. "RE: Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question"
In response to Reply # 6

Lafayette, US

That is EXACTLY what the sales person told me. I'm ticked! However, they do take returns with no restocking fee. My camera is supposed to get here tomorrow... I'll just have to send the lenses right back, so no playing for m Thank you everyone so much for all your help! I really appreciate it!
Thanks! Kristin

Thanks! Kristin

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Tue 06-Dec-05 10:08 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question"
In response to Reply # 0

Kolkata, IN

With all due respect to sigma (they make great lenses) I say you stick with the Nikkor until and unless you are convinced that the 18-55 nikkor takes not so good pictures. I have used my 18-55 with the D50 and it takes great photos.

Keep clicking

Debarshi

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

DofN Registered since 06th Dec 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 02:33 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question"
In response to Reply # 7

Belmont, US

I agree, Sigma does make some great lenses. In fact, I am looking to get the Sigma 28-200mm for my next lens. I have NO problem with Sigma lenses I have used them in the past with my film SLR and thought that they made a great product for the price.

The problem here is with the shady upsell and mis-information from Abe's of Maine. (Heck they are not even IN Maine, they are in NY!)

DofN Registered since 06th Dec 2005Thu 08-Dec-05 11:26 PM
#10. "RE: Nikkor vs. Sigma newbie question"
In response to Reply # 9

Belmont, US

Actually I was wondering if anyone has any input over which lens is better, the Sigma 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 Compact Aspherical Hyperzoom Macro for Nikon AF or the Tamron 28-200 F/3.8-5.6 XR SUPER for NIKON AF-D

Thanks
DofN

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #868 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.